Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all do for work to earn income?

I find it really hard to keep a job and when I do get one I always feel under extreme pressure and scrutiny from even the most basic of jobs.

Because of this I have stopped looking, I can't work around people and because of this have been unsuccesfully wasting more time by trying to find "work from home" jobs.

At the minute I rely on my parents and student loans for my income and I know I can't continue with this.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm an apprentice chef. I focus on my work to distract me from social anxiety. I know the people well enough now to be fairly comfortable around them.

Work from home jobs are usually hard to come by. I suggest you keep applying for different kinds of jobs until you find one you like.

·
Banned
506 Posts
Hi

I usually work as a typist, receptionist, clerk etc. I don't want to, but I can't exactly do anything rewarding because of my phobias.

I need to work if possible, I live alone and have bills to pay, but when I do I find myself using really stoopid methods to stop myself panicking, like hiding in the toilets and burning myself with a lighter. It's kind of an occupational hazard for me. I'm on the social now, and actually kind of glad (even though I'm bored stiff sat doing nothing).

I hope you can find a job. Maybe try volunteering a day or so a week with something easy to get used to the workplace again. Not as much pressure or expectation as they're not paying you, companies love volunteers and go pretty easy on them. It's a good way to work on the problem, at least that's what I found. I did volunteering and later a temp job for my local mental hospital - it was great because they were a very sympathetic employer.

Anxiety in the workplace tends to get less bad the longer you work there, it's just a case of getting through those nervous first few weeks and then it suddenly all seems so much easier.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I can keep my job , as long as I overcome socially-associated clumsines. To often I'm doing something great and the moment someone steps behind me to watch.. something goes awry. Well, I'm hoping that for the moment those mistakes will just be considered as "new recruit syndrome."

All I can say is, let your anxiety fly a bit for the first week on the job. Then after that, make a serious effort to curb it in the second week. Hopefully your boss will just think that you were only "a bit" nervous at the start.

Good luck.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I don't have much of a problem where work is concerned, by that I mean going to work, dealing with all kinds of people, and so forth. To me, work is predictable - I know what's expected of me and i can work just fine within those parameters. right now, I make £22,800 per year, which is not bad for what I do. the problem is that I do settle for jobs that don't push me to realize my full potential, due to SA.

and, it's the totally unpredictable situations I have a problem with, hence little to no social life. it's purely social things that scare the bejeezus out of me.

Oh, forgot - I am a secretary/PA/Office manager at a small architecture practice.

·
Neither Enemy Nor Friend
412 Posts
i work at toys r us, i have a good gropu of co-workers & my managers are really supportive. i dont feel to worried that the SA will kick in at a high level cuz i feel a good level of comfort at work. There are bad days with customers but they always stress to let managers deal with it so i can stay back and take a breath. i'm pretty motivated at work since i have no school, car and money at the moment

honestly my SA can't f### with my motivation

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm an administrative assistant for property management.

It took me several years and five or six jobs before I grew confident enough to deal with the SA stress at work.

Now I work for a great team and am well-integrated. And I've been long enough with that company that I'm fairly comfortable with almost every situation.

So I can only recommend that after a pause for breath you try to gather your courage and try again. Sometimes it takes some time to find the right place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts