Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 18 and I want to get a job, I just don't wanna do anything food oriented because I noticed that in that kind of business your always either cleaning or dealing with a customer and for a cooking job it's much more competitive and I don't wanna work under stress.
I'm nervous about working at a home improvement store too, my options are LOWES and Home Depot, I have a lot of experience with tools and I've done some sheet rocking myself and spackle and I've been to many construction projects and worked a lot at my uncle's contracting company. I have some experience and knowledge about the construction field and if it wasn't for college this is the field I would be in right now. I like moving around constantly and being busy because it keeps my mind off my anxiety.
I would like to work at home depot but I'm afraid they stick me at register if I even get the job. I hate the idea of having to say hi how are you to everyone then scanning everything and hitting buttons over and over then handing back exact change, I've never done it before but I would have to learn in front of customers who are in a rush, its a lot of pressure to me.
Is there a possibility they would put me somewhere else besides register? I don't mind stocking shelves but I'm not muscular at all, I'm just thin so I don't think they would want a thin guy stocking shelves and I don't have a degree.
Has anyone ever worked at either of these stores? And was it easier than working at a grocery store?
Also do your coworkers talk to you a lot? I'm afraid my coworkers start talking to me and realize I'm a loner and then everyone will avoid me and make things awkward, I just wanna work then go home and get my paycheck. I'm naturally a hard worker especially when I know I'm getting paid so that's not a problem, I'm just afraid I get stuck with a high anxiety job, what's the least anxiety inducing job available at a home depot or lowes?

·
Banned
642 Posts
Lowe's and Home Depot are retail jobs. These are not good jobs for people with SA as you're anxiety will constantly be tugged at with customers, fast-paced work environment & co-worker interaction.

With just a high school diploma, your options are somewhat limited. Have you considered technical school or college?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lowe's and Home Depot are retail jobs. These are not good jobs for people with SA as you're anxiety will constantly be tugged at with customers, fast-paced work environment & co-worker interaction.

With just a high school diploma, your options are somewhat limited. Have you considered technical school or college?
Yeah I know their very high paced but right now the only oppurtunities open for me is to either work at a hardware store like on of those, or a grocery store, or a restaurant and I've visited all these places and I noticed home depot was the calmest and had the least females in it, which make me nervous the most. Grocery stores always have lots of female employees and lots of females shopping there, and as for food I don't have a cullinary degree so my chances are slim of cooking, so I'll only be cleaning and working register which I don't want, I already applied and that's all they gave me.
I'm going to college, that's why I want a job so I can have some cash.

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
Grocery store would be easier for your first retail job. When you work in a tool store, customers will have unanswerable technical questions and get mad at you for not being able to answer them. I work at this place called Harbor Freight and out customer base is nothing but angry old men, that patronize and insult you for not being %100 knowledgeable on every item carried in the store.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It really just depends on what positions they have available and what you apply for. But, like another user stated, you're going to be working in retail so if you're stocking the shelves, you're definitely gonna have people walking up to you asking you where something is or whatever. Unless you work in the back room stocking or something like that, you're going to be stuck communicating with people in a job like that. Where I used to work I had to greet customers, work the register, stock the shelves, and answer the phones. So it really just depends on what you get hired for.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grocery store would be easier for your first retail job. When you work in a tool store, customers will have unanswerable technical questions and get mad at you for not being able to answer them. I work at this place called Harbor Freight and out customer base is nothing but angry old men, that patronize and insult you for not being %100 knowledgeable on every item carried in the store.
I know what you mean with customers getting mad for not being knowledgeable but I've worked my fair share in construction and with tools and I think I might be good for this because my Uncle is a huge contractor and I've worked with him a lot with renovations and installations so I feel like I would be knowledgeable in this kind of field, also because I'd rather deal with a guy rather than an attractive lady who will make me nervous.
It really just depends on what positions they have available and what you apply for. But, like another user stated, you're going to be working in retail so if you're stocking the shelves, you're definitely gonna have people walking up to you asking you where something is or whatever. Unless you work in the back room stocking or something like that, you're going to be stuck communicating with people in a job like that. Where I used to work I had to greet customers, work the register, stock the shelves, and answer the phones. So it really just depends on what you get hired for.
I don't mind answering questions and what I like is, that the person asking me a question won't have a long line of people stairing at me while I talk observing every move, it puts me at ease. I'll apply to whatever they have I guess I just hope they ask me what I want to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah I know their very high paced but right now the only oppurtunities open for me is to either work at a hardware store like on of those, or a grocery store, or a restaurant and I've visited all these places and I noticed home depot was the calmest and had the least females in it, which make me nervous the most. Grocery stores always have lots of female employees and lots of females shopping there, and as for food I don't have a cullinary degree so my chances are slim of cooking, so I'll only be cleaning and working register which I don't want, I already applied and that's all they gave me.
I'm going to college, that's why I want a job so I can have some cash.
Have you looked into night shifts? Grocery store night shifts would be best recommended or any nightly retail shift.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you looked into night shifts? Grocery store night shifts would be best recommended or any nightly retail shift.
Yeah, I've seen the night shifts myself at the grocery stores and they seem very relaxing. Everybody starts working at 12 am and the store is practically empty but I don't think it would work with me because I plan to go to college early in the day.

·
Power Trip
1,016 Posts
My advice would be to just take the job at the tool store since you say you're knowledgeable about that stuff, and treat the customer interaction part of the job as a way to help you overcome your social anxiety.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My advice would be to just take the job at the tool store since you say you're knowledgeable about that stuff, and treat the customer interaction part of the job as a way to help you overcome your social anxiety.
Yeah, I think I'll go for the home improvement store then. My other question now is, should I apply now and work and then see if they let me change my hours or should I wait until i register for my classes for college, find out their times and then apply for the job?

·
Power Trip
1,016 Posts
Yeah, I think I'll go for the home improvement store then. My other question now is, should I apply now and work and then see if they let me change my hours or should I wait until i register for my classes for college, find out their times and then apply for the job?
I work in retail myself and generally one of the biggest things employers are after in employees is flexibility. So to give yourself the best chance, I'd go for the first option and then if you get hired, you can put some effort in for a while and show them you're a good employee and then they should be more open to accommodating your studies.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I work in retail myself and generally one of the biggest things employers are after in employees is flexibility. So to give yourself the best chance, I'd go for the first option and then if you get hired, you can put some effort in for a while and show them you're a good employee and then they should be more open to accommodating your studies.
Thank you, I'm gonna send in an application then and see what happens. One more question, do you think I have a chance at sales/representative if I look young and I'm not very talkative, like realistically? But I also have construction and tools experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts