Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it weren't for my job I honestly don't think I would be here. I mean it's the only reason I leave my house. I used to work five days a week but I changed my schedule to work four. It's the one thing I know I have to do. I mean I have no choice I need to work and I guess that's a good thing. I don't have the option of not having a job. It's the only real structure I have. I have a set schedule and a place I know I have to be. Without it I'd be lost. Anyone else like that?

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I feel pretty much the exact same way. That's why I'm hunting for a job right now, not because I need the money but because it provides a much needed structure to my life. Whenever I'm employed I'm too tired or stressed out to think about SA. It certainly is one of the best distractions I've come by... If I had a job I wouldn't be on here as often.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
It's definitely a love/hate thing there.
I love it because, to me, it's fun, gets me out of the house, brings in money, and during most of the time I'm there, my SA is almost non-existent.
I hate it because I'm around something I probably won't ever have (kids), and I see them go home everyday with older siblings, parents, and guardians, and they all look so happy to go home. Their faces seem to light up when they see whoever has come to pick them up. When I was in elementary school, it was a toss up if someone would even come to pick me up or if I'd have to walk two miles to my grandmother's house because no one could/would come get me and it was a lot closer than my own house. Also, it reminds me of my days in school, how quiet and reserved I was and these kids have like massive amounts of friends. It's like one minute, two kids have never seen each other before and the next, they're sharing crayons, laughing together, and joined at the hip. They make it seem so simple to make friends. If only it was that simple when you get older or, at least, simpler for me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Is your job actually comforting to work in, or you just like being able to do something? for me if i feel comfortable then i really enjoy or at least feel content, but I'm not so good with people either way.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Haha I know exactly how that feels. I interned for my dad's company last summer and it COMPLETELY renewed my sense of self and all of my depression and self-doubts were washed away in some sort of holy corporate baptism lol.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If it weren't for my job I honestly don't think I would be here. I mean it's the only reason I leave my house. I used to work five days a week but I changed my schedule to work four. It's the one thing I know I have to do. I mean I have no choice I need to work and I guess that's a good thing. I don't have the option of not having a job. It's the only real structure I have. I have a set schedule and a place I know I have to be. Without it I'd be lost. Anyone else like that?
that for me and gym, both of them are self-rewarding to me, without those I wouldn't be doing anything and be a lot worse off.

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
Work sucks!!!I do it just to keep a roof over my head and pay bills.

·
Neither Enemy Nor Friend
412 Posts
job has helped me get through life recently. i cant go to school this semester which scared me alot and it was saddening. my job is good. i like my co-workers & my manager is a real stand up guy. my job is helping me out alot

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, same here, when I have a day off I always look forward to it but then I wish I was at work, its so much easier at work, it keeps my mind off of my problems, It also gets me away from my parents.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've noticed that during the summer, I was able to make some friends at my workplace...something I couldn't so in school. When I'm in school, it's virtually impossible for me to make friends, and I don't even know why. When I was at work, I see these people several hours a day, so usually we end up talking during downtime and we eventually hung out outside of work. Oh, and they were all girls, something I usually fear greatly.

·
Somewhere but not here.
1,802 Posts
definitely a love/hate thing with me.
On the one hand it gives me something to do for a good portion of he day and probably the only reason I go anywhere and I'm somewhat friends with most of the people there (talk and do things but very rarely see them outside of work except for one guy, my brother and my room mate).
But it's very unsatisfying and in very many ways is quite draining. Recently I've been having headaches while there, seems to go away as soon as I get home (and it's only a 1 or 2 minute drive there). But in many ways it's been somewhat fulfilling it's hard to explain. Think of it as taking a jog after being mad at something or taking a thoughtful walk.
But apparently I'm good at it (or so I've been told)
and I'm stuck there...thank you SA (and laziness earlier in life, and even now)
So anywhere from love to hate most days it's neutral.

Unrelated note: probably the most editing I've done to a post without scraping the whole thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts