Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Null
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since starting work(internship), my depression has increased to the point where it becomes unbearable. I think this is because work forces me out of my comfort zone and I no longer have the alone time I am used to in college.

Interactions w/ peers, co-workers, orientations, classes, meetings, and ice-breaker group events all packed into the first week. I already feel weak just thinking about it, and weekend is my only escape.

Some days it feels like one day blends into the next and I get sick to my stomach. Has anybody experienced something similar (for those who just started working)? I hope this gets better as the weeks go by.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I was definitely depressed at my last job. I don't even like to think about it, and I'm surprised I made it through it.

Be careful when it comes to jobs. Make sure it's something you enjoy. I know sometimes it seems like you don't have much choice, but a job isn't worth torturing yourself.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Im a little nervous about a job opportunity i might take at the bank I work at. I know how you feel. it seems everytime i get a new job...the first few weeks i battle depression, but It always ends up ok. keep your head up..it will get better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm so worried about Wednesday. Being a new full-time employee, I [have to / get the opportunity to] have a get-to-know lunch with the 4 supervisors, the manager, and the guy appointed to be my mentor. My mentor is a very quiet guy so I can actually sort of talk to him. I just hope something happens and it gets cancelled at the last minute.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Im so sick of everyone saying to me 'Get a job and it will give you confidence and self esteem'.. well erm.. NO it doesnt. When working, I feel constant pressure, more than being unemployed! I feel like I must perform, I must push myself behond my capabilities or get fired. I feel like I have to be someone Im not. I never get enough alone time to 'recharge' because your day consists of work and sleep, over and over and over. Its just stress, pressure, stress, pressure. Theres only so much pressure and 'fakeness' that people can take, until you eventually crash.

I dont know of any job that would suit me (or people like me)... and now Im thinking, Ill have to conform to this ever depressing cycle of work sleep stress work sleep stress..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I am tired of doing jobs with all of these extroverts who can't shut up. I have had a lot of jobs over the years, and I always get so depressed and I just have to get out of there. I am so miserable that it affects every other area of my life. People that you say "Good Morning" to, and they just look at you. The stupid office cliques, and on and on.
I know most people always say to just take any job out there, especially the way the economy is. However, its pointless for me to work in the same kind of settings that I have always worked in.
The last job I had I finally said to hell with it. I didn't say "Good Morning" or speak to anyone unless they spoke to me first. I admit that I had a bad attitude, and got into an argument with a co-worker, because he was always so worried about what I was doing, instead of his own work. Plus, the idiot was always on the phone with personal phone calls.
As far as I am concerned, and I know I am in the minority but I don't care, life is too short to go to a job that you dread everyday working around a bunch of yakkers. You spend so much time during the week at that job, it should be something that you enjoy.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I hear ya on that one BeachGaBulldog! That is why I am desperately trying to hold out for some sort of solitary job.

I have never been a clique-ish type person. At my current job, people are way too much into everybody's business. Sometimes they make jokes and I have no idea what the hell they are talking about/its not interesting to me. I really hope I get out of there soon. Plus the job is getting painful for me. It's to the point where I have to drink just to go in. I'm so tired of being there!! And the thing is, its only a stupid retail job. It hurts me that I have a degree and can't the job I want.

And arrow77, I'm jealous that you even have an internship!* LOL* I assume you must have had a rather successful college experience unlike moi. I know if I kept my grades up and "networked (eww)", I probably would not be in this predicament.

However, I can relate with HOW you feel. During college, I would have major anxiety about going to classes and doing these group projects/presentations. Plus as I got into my last couple of years, I realized how much I hated my major and everyone else in my class. It was hell having to sit there with people who were actually enthusiastic about it: answering questions, forming study groups, chatting with each other...........while I just sat there wishing I was dead.

All I can say is "tough it out". I hope you feel better too. It is torture having to be "socially bombarded" with activities.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yes, "holding out for the solitary job", THAT IS ME, TOO. I understand what you are saying about the cliques. GOD, I HATE THOSE! I would sit at my cubicle thinking, "Jesus, would you just shut the f*** up. You are so boring!" I have had jobs that I dreaded so much, I didn't want to go to sleep at night because I knew that it would make the next morning come so much quicker. I can't enjoy my weekends. I am constantly angry.
Also, when I went back to school, I kept to myself, and didn't interact with anyone. I hated it when assignments involved class presentations, or working in groups.
I HAVE TO HOLD OUT FOR THE RIGHT JOB! The less people the better. Its the only thing that will work for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Im so sick of everyone saying to me 'Get a job and it will give you confidence and self esteem'.. well erm.. NO it doesnt. When working, I feel constant pressure, more than being unemployed! I feel like I must perform, I must push myself behond my capabilities or get fired. I feel like I have to be someone Im not. I never get enough alone time to 'recharge' because your day consists of work and sleep, over and over and over. Its just stress, pressure, stress, pressure. Theres only so much pressure and 'fakeness' that people can take, until you eventually crash.

I dont know of any job that would suit me (or people like me)... and now Im thinking, Ill have to conform to this ever depressing cycle of work sleep stress work sleep stress..
Working can give you self esteem to an extent, i know once i got use to my job and i got thrue the hard stuff it gave me alot of confidence in myself. sometimes id rather be at work than home, but I know thats not the case with every job :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thats what I have kept hearing from people, especially my clueless nurse practitioner. "Once you find a job, you will feel better". BS! How many frickin' times do I have to say that only certain types of jobs will suit me. One thing I will say is this...BE YOURSELF! If people can't accept you on a job for who you are, especially if you are quiet, TO HELL WITH THEM! I have always kept to myself, and if they don't like it, too bad. Its I am there to work, not make friends. I don't want to chit-chat with a bunch of boring extroverts, who have nothing worthwhile to talk about.
Ahhh, another day of searching for that right job. I don't want to work around people, and yes, the pressure can get to you.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I never feel well emotionally when I'm working. I always want to go home. I always worry about negative reactions I could get from talking to people. People sometimes have serious conversations, and I worry about messing it up and looking like a child. I did improved my vocal projection though. I don't worry as much about it any more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
when i worked as a hospital nurse, i would get so scared, i used to throw up before i went to work. I used to be scared of the patients and their families yelling at me and threatening to sue me or file complaints about me to my boss. (wow..uve been waiting a whole 10 mins..sorry, i only have 2 legs!) i've had people tell me the rudest things...and play childish games such as when i walked in the room, they pretended i wasnt there and gossiped about me saying this is the worst service they ever had...i was glad i didnt cry right on the spot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ever since starting work(internship), my depression has increased to the point where it becomes unbearable. I think this is because work forces me out of my comfort zone and I no longer have the alone time I am used to in college.

Interactions w/ peers, co-workers, orientations, classes, meetings, and ice-breaker group events all packed into the first week. I already feel weak just thinking about it, and weekend is my only escape.

Some days it feels like one day blends into the next and I get sick to my stomach. Has anybody experienced something similar (for those who just started working)? I hope this gets better as the weeks go by.
I'm going through the same exact thing. im in grad school but i started my first "real" job about 2 months ago. prior to that i was just a substitute teacher and i was a diff. school everyday so i never had to talk to anyone. now, i have to talk to co-workers, make small talk (which i SUCK at...aqward silences...), attend meetings and social events.

just recently i started experiencing chest pain and nausea, my first physical symptoms (aside from regualar nervousness) i have experienced due to social anxiety. it has caused terrible depression and feelings of unworthiness. its sooo hard!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm going through the same exact thing. im in grad school but i started my first "real" job about 2 months ago. prior to that i was just a substitute teacher and i was a diff. school everyday so i never had to talk to anyone. now, i have to talk to co-workers, make small talk (which i SUCK at...aqward silences...), attend meetings and social events.

just recently i started experiencing chest pain and nausea, my first physical symptoms (aside from regualar nervousness) i have experienced due to social anxiety. it has caused terrible depression and feelings of unworthiness. its sooo hard!
when i had physical symptoms...such as throwing up, hard for me to get out a bed (low energy)...not eating much....and feeling depressed...spending $$ on things that i didnt need.....many random thoughts..etc...it was a signal for me that it was time to leave..

i made the mistake of sticking it out.....as a result, end up having a nervous breakdown and had to go on a medical leave of abcense.

hoping to get insurance soon so i can go back to seeing a therapist...or at least try to read cognitive behavior books (i hear the Anxiety workbook is a great one)

·
Registered
257 Posts
yes...the small talk & social gatherings/meetings are so tiring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts