Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my parent's pay for my college tuition. I want to drop a class due to my SA...i don't think i can handle this one class, it's just too much! It's the only class where we're like crowded in this small classroom for 2 hours, and i feel so claustrophobic there...i hate having any type of physical contact w/ strangers like leg and leg or arm and arm...and that's how it is. every monday and wednesday. The people in my class make me feel uncomfortable too, i feel like they're all staring at me, and plus they're so outgoing...and i just sit there for 2 hours shaking inside (probably outside too). just feel like i want to hide in the corner when i go, or not even go at all. But if i do withdraw i'll have to make up time for that class idk what i'm going to do for that time, probably commit suicide. I'm almost headed in that direction. I'm just tired of being alone, anxious and scared all the time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know how you feel. I dropped out of college when I was 18 for similar reasons. If it’s one class that is giving you problems maybe you should drop that class for now and pursue the classes you can stand.

I’m back in college and wish I had never dropped out. I try to take smaller classes and take classes at times when they may not be as full.

Good luck with school and I hope you stay with it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Well my parent's pay for my college tuition. I want to drop a class due to my SA...i don't think i can handle this one class, it's just too much! It's the only class where we're like crowded in this small classroom for 2 hours, and i feel so claustrophobic there...i hate having any type of physical contact w/ strangers like leg and leg or arm and arm...and that's how it is. every monday and wednesday. The people in my class make me feel uncomfortable too, i feel like they're all staring at me, and plus they're so outgoing...and i just sit there for 2 hours shaking inside (probably outside too). just feel like i want to hide in the corner when i go, or not even go at all. But if i do withdraw i'll have to make up time for that class idk what i'm going to do for that time, probably commit suicide. I'm almost headed in that direction. I'm just tired of being alone, anxious and scared all the time.
supersoshychick, i am EXACTLY in your situation right now. Im taking busniess because my parents forced me and it makes no sense because im bad @ math, accounting, group work, and presentations which is pretty much all business is. The teachers keep telling me about all these presentations and it makes me feel like i should just sneak out of the house @ night and move out west (Maby leave them a couple grand to cover the course costs). I know where you are coming from and I wish my classmates weren't so happy go lucky, life is so "sunshine and good times", lets party till we end up in the hospital and im having none of that!

All I can tell you is to take it one day at a time. I think you should try to sneak a drink or two in before class. Its one of the ways i use to cope. If you drop out and start working @ mcdonalds don't be ashamed. We all have to start somewhere. Most importantly if you need someone to talk to you can always leave me a message and I will do my best to help you out.

One Day At A Time.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I would make it a goal to stay in the class and learn how to handle being in there. This is a significant hurdle in overcoming SA. Those people aren't worrying about you at all. They are focused on their own stuff. They have their own issues - they don't even know you to make any kind of decision. All you can be is yourself anyway. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is there any way you can talk to your parents about this situation? I dropped numerous courses in college because of SA and never told my parents. I was able to complete school, but the whole situation was a nightmare. Looking back I wish I had just come out and told them in the beginning....even though it might have been a little embarrasing. There are a lot of resources out there for people with SA now adays. Why not get some help, overcome this now and enjoy the rest of your college experience? Dropping courses without telling anyone and letting this go on will just eat you up inside.

Chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
It'll be a waste of time and money if you drop it. Tell the teachers what the problem. It's a disability so they have to help or they'll get into trouble. Maybe your teacher could give you the notes instead, see you privately, let you only go for day a week and build up to two. My teachers were VERY understanding, and telling them led to me getting a mentor and therapist while my teachers were updated on my progress.

I've felt self-conscious in class when everyone is chatting away, and then they turn to me and expect me to contribute something or ignore me. No matter what happens, after you graduate you'll never see them again anyway, so their thoughts aren't important.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would make it a goal to stay in the class and learn how to handle being in there. This is a significant hurdle in overcoming SA. Those people aren't worrying about you at all. They are focused on their own stuff. They have their own issues - they don't even know you to make any kind of decision. All you can be is yourself anyway. :)
Good advice. If you make it through the class with a passing grade (doesn't have to be an A), that will be a major accomplishment for you in overcoming anxiety. But like someone else said, you can always talk to your counselor and ask for accomodations, or just ask her for advice. Maybe ask your professor if he/she can make your seat a little less close to everyone else, without being too conspicuous. Good luck:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
You should try to stick with it but if it's not too late try to switch to a morning class. Morning classes are the best times for people with S.A. Everyone is so jacked up and sleepy that literally like nobody talks to each other lol so you won't seem so out of place. Never take afternoon/night classes if you don't want a room full of talkative people Morning classes also have fewer people in them. Try to just get out of that class and just switch to another professor. Tell your advisor you won't do well with that professor or something. I know how you feel. I take like 6 classes and some of them are hell for me to get through but at the end I always feel like I accomplished something huge.

You'll be fine :hug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts