Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently talking to a friend about relationships and how the idea of being close to someone makes me feel sick most of the time. Somehow I then told her about how I had social anxiety, wishing I could have someone to talk to it about it. However, a few days ago we were in the gym with a few other friends, and she started completely taking the piss, saying how I had a barrier around me and telling everyone else how I had 'social phobia'. This made me really upset- I thought I could trust her :( In the past I've walked away from situations like this, having to get away from people, but I managed to stay put.

In another lesson I was talking to someone about how I have never been in a relationship, and not ever kissed or held hands with anyone. She replied with- "It's not a good thing" and something along the lines of how it was strange and not normal.

Feeling so confused at the moment :S
I'm not sure whether I should talk to people about my anxiety, or just keep it inside. How can you get other people to understand? Often I just wish I could stay in my bedroom all day on my own :/ Anyone relate to this?

·
Banned
728 Posts
Dont worry. Those people are idiots. They aren't nice, and dont understand other peoples problems.

Its best to find good people to hang around with. Who you can trust and feel comfortable with.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Ouch! What a horrible thing for that supposed "friend" to do. I feel bad for you :hug You trusted the wrong person this time, but not everyone's mean like her. I hope you find some better friends that you can confide in.

Edit: I think you should keep quiet about it until you know you can trust a person and you know that person really well.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It's possible she doesn't fully understand what you're going through. I would tell her the comment upset you and if she doesn't apologize I would move on. You have to understand that most people have no idea what your talking about when you bring up SA. I've brought it up to people before and they're like yeah I don't like giving presentations either. They just don't understand to what extent these problems effect you.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Some people are just born to be social and simply do not understand what goes through the mind of someone who has SA.

You should be proud of yourself that you did not run away though and you stood your ground despite her being so mean.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow. That's unbelievable. Especially since it was a friend you thought you could trust. The bad thing is that it solidifies in your mind why you never really said anything before, and makes you really reluctant to confide in someone again.

Apparently, this person is heartless and inconsiderate. An obvious moron to the feelings of others. There are people out there who you can talk to though, and you might find someone who knows exactly what you are going through. At least you found out this person is not a good friend for you and doesn't deserve to have your friendship.

Take care and don't lose heart!

·
I am, etc.
1,381 Posts
It is highly unlikely that anyone you tell will understand. I don't tell others because otherwise, from that point forward you will likely be prefaced by that information.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
It is highly unlikely that anyone you tell will understand. I don't tell others because otherwise, from that point forward you will likely be prefaced by that information.
Ya, it's more acceptable to have AIDS in society than any kind of mental illness.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Wow. That's unbelievable. Especially since it was a friend you thought you could trust. The bad thing is that it solidifies in your mind why you never really said anything before, and makes you really reluctant to confide in someone again.

Apparently, this person is heartless and inconsiderate. An obvious moron to the feelings of others. There are people out there who you can talk to though, and you might find someone who knows exactly what you are going through. At least you found out this person is not a good friend for you and doesn't deserve to have your friendship.

Well said!

These friends of yours sound bent on making you feel like an outcast. It's hard to find understanding people, but they're out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It can be very hard to tell if someone is the right person to talk to. I am in the position of wanting to talk to a friend and I am hoping it will not go the same way.

I feel for you, I have lost what I thought were friends in the past which it why it has taken me years to get to the point where i think I can talk to someone again.

·
Registered
56 Posts

EXACTLY!

Listen you got to keep trying and be careful, find a deep person. Learn that there are a lot of people like her and you can learn to trust the right people. If the person talks about others, they will most likely talk about you. Find someone with an open mind or you will see how they judge you quickly. Make sure they show interest in how and what you are doing, not just themselves. You will start to recognize the typical patterns of these rigid egos. Its a tough jungle out there and it's really sad how we must protect ourselves from our fellow humans.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Keep it inside. No one is going to understand u. In fact, they will think u are a weirdo and will stay away from u.
Instead try to cure yourself. That's the only way u can make these people your friends
True that... unfortunately.

Though it must also be argued that perhaps these kind of people aren't worth making friends with anyway.

Or they're just ignorant by being lucky enough not to have experienced such problems and so they're just innocently naive and still worthy of being friends. Either way I suppose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree that when you say "social anxiety" or "social phobia" it sound more like a mental handicap or something. I think if you use common language, like "I'm just really shy and I get nervous super easily," then it's easier for people to relate and be sympathetic.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I dated a lady a few years ago who dumped me because of my disorder. What is messed up is this dame worked in the medical field. Her loss.
You'll be surprised by the lack compassionate by most hospital workers, most of them are ignorant about life and suffering and became callous from their work, because they do not enjoy it. It's just a job for them.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yeah, its seems that way. Her and another lady that I dated worked in this field, and they were as you described. The most recent one had been married and it seems like she just hated men, in general. I don't know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree that when you say "social anxiety" or "social phobia" it sound more like a mental handicap or something. I think if you use common language, like "I'm just really shy and I get nervous super easily," then it's easier for people to relate and be sympathetic.
Agreed. I personally am skeptical of labeling our condition as a "disorder". While it's true that what we experience may be more severe than ordinary shyness, I think it's dangerous to start thinking that we are fundamentally "different" from other people.

To the OP, sorry this girl was such a jerk. No real friend would ever be so insensitive or mean. To me, it's a clear indicator that she has some issues of her own. Take care, have faith, and know that there ARE nicer people in this world!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Yeah, its seems that way. Her and another lady that I dated worked in this field, and they were as you described. The most recent one had been married and it seems like she just hated men, in general. I don't know.
I remember the moment when my father died, I was still crying from his death just wanting to hold him and there was this woman discussing what to do with "the body."

I know she's just working but ****, show you are a little human why don't ya.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts