Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a wireless network for my home. The network requires a password to log on. The router (linksys) comes with a firewall. I also have a Norton firewall installed on my PC... is there anything else I can do to make the network secure?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Make sure that you are using WPA encryption with a key that is 20 charachters or more in length. The key should also contain numbers, letters and special charachters. You should also disable SSID broadcasts (this will help hide your network). You can also enable MAC filtering. This will allow pnly the device with the specified MAC addresses to connect to the network.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CodeWeasel said:
Make sure that you are using WPA encryption with a key that is 20 charachters or more in length. The key should also contain numbers, letters and special charachters. You should also disable SSID broadcasts (this will help hide your network). You can also enable MAC filtering. This will allow pnly the device with the specified MAC addresses to connect to the network.
I turned the MAC address filtering on and I also tried disabling the SSID broadcast, however when I did that I was not able to "see" a network to which to connect. Obviously I am missing something. I tried renaming the name of my wireless connection to have the SSID name but that was no help. I went into the properties setting of the connection and saw the SSID name under "preferred networks".

I figure the MAC address filtering is probably good enough, but I'm pretty anal about getting things done right, so if someone could give me a hand with the SSID bit I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Interesting...... Normally if you set up the network on the computer first and then turn the ssid broadcast off it will still be able to connect. You will not be able to see it as an available network as it will not be broadcasting that it exists. What are your settings for that peticular network? You don't need to give the key lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
No disrespect intended, but disabling SSID broadcast does nothing but cause some equipment difficulty in connecting. Any good cracker program such as Kismet will find the SSID in less than a minute anyways.

As for MAC filtering, same thing, all it does is give YOU more trouble connecting, as MAC addressing -just like the SSID- is sent in the clear even on an encrypted network, and allowed MAC's will be exposed to the cracker in a minute of listening to traffic.

Right about WPA though. It's definitely a must. Be sure your key is NOT made of words, unless it's a long and very strange phrase, or it'll be vulnerable to a dictionary attack. Myself, I use a random character generator. :b

·
Registered
435 Posts
Gigabit said:
No disrespect intended, but disabling SSID broadcast does nothing but cause some equipment difficulty in connecting. Any good cracker program such as Kismet will find the SSID in less than a minute anyways.

As for MAC filtering, same thing, all it does is give YOU more trouble connecting, as MAC addressing -just like the SSID- is sent in the clear even on an encrypted network, and allowed MAC's will be exposed to the cracker in a minute of listening to traffic.

Right about WPA though. It's definitely a must. Be sure your key is NOT made of words, unless it's a long and very strange phrase, or it'll be vulnerable to a dictionary attack. Myself, I use a random character generator. :b
i think the idea is to stop casual users from hopping on. if a cracker wants in, they'll get in, but most people won't know how, or won't go that far. plus the harder they have to work to get in, the less dumb they can play if they actually do something bad (and get caught).

that being said i havn't played with wireless at all. but just some thoughts on security in general ^_^

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mark said:
Change your WEP key every 24 hours if you're really worried lol. I think it takes about 48 continuous hours for the WEP to be cracked by a decryption program. That might be dated though.
WEP is pretty much dated. WPA with a 20 character minimum key that is randomly made up of letters numbers and special characters is pretty darn secure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mark said:
Change your WEP key every 24 hours if you're really worried lol. I think it takes about 48 continuous hours for the WEP to be cracked by a decryption program. That might be dated though.
WEP is horribly flawed, and can be broken in 5 to 15 minutes. All you need is a cracker like Kismet to listen for weak IV's and decode them, and another program to get the packets flowing on the victim network, such as AirPlay, which works by replaying packets back to the network over and over just to generate enough traffic to deduce the key very quickly.

WEP, like MAC filtering, is really only good for keeping honest people out. If you want real encryption and access control, use WPA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts