Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden my laptop pops up a message it detects a wireless connection. What could this be? It had bars like a cell phone, and only showed one bar. I heard they were going to have some wireless internet access, and they installed an antenna on the mine steam shaft. But I can't see it due to trees that are in the way of it. Maybe the nice, clear weather is allowing it to travel furthur. Only one bar, darn. I am always going to be stuck with dialup. I won't get the cable access, because I got in a fight with the company a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If it's only one bar, it's almost a certainty that the wireless access point is either far away, or there's something between it and you.

As for connectivity, one bar is all you need. It's when you have zero that you have problems.

-Ryan

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a name for the connection. I type this in a search and it came up with someone from the local University here. I then type this name into switchboard and it should someone with this name living a street over from my house. Like I said the weather is real clear, and cool today. It must be traveling a little furthur. How wierd. I didn't know I had wireless on this computer. I had it for 6 months and didn't know that, but I didn't have a touch tone phone until I was 21 in 1991, and a fuel injection vehicle until I was 31. So I tend to be backwards about technology. :lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
That signal could be from anyone. You don't need a license or anything to broadcast a signal, just a Wireless Access Point (WAP) -about $50- and preferably a broadband ISP to plug it into. Can make it work with dialup, but it's trickier since you'd need to set up Internet Connection Sharing on a computer connected to both the WAP and the phoneline.

70% of people will not bother to set up anykind of encryption or user authentication, which means that you could connect to it and use their internet connection easily. Just remember that whether or not it's ok to do that is the subject of a lot of heated debate. :b

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gigabit said:
That signal could be from anyone. You don't need a license or anything to broadcast a signal, just a Wireless Access Point (WAP) -about $50- and preferably a broadband ISP to plug it into. Can make it work with dialup, but it's trickier since you'd need to set up Internet Connection Sharing on a computer connected to both the WAP and the phoneline.

70% of people will not bother to set up anykind of encryption or user authentication, which means that you could connect to it and use their internet connection easily. Just remember that whether or not it's ok to do that is the subject of a lot of heated debate. :b
I wouldn't know how to do it anyways. I am no computer tech. I can put in memory chips, cards, but thats about it.

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
Gigabit said:

:lol , there are about 5 unsecure wireless networks in my neighborhood that I could connect to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts