Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter how much I can stave off depression during the winter months, it always creeps up on you. At first I thought it was environmental, but I since moved and it came late this year, but its still happening.

Though I remember my depression is strongest around this time due to a lot of traumatic experiences in my life, whether it be my mom disowning me after new years, death of a friend in January, along with several other memories I can't resolve.

Doctors always upped the dosage of my medication around this time, but I never felt it go away at all. It did make me sleep a lot and "hibernate". I'm off the medications for 3 years now and I still feel the same today, without the medication. Exercising doesn't help, intense gaming doesn't help either, only a comfortable resolution can possibly end it, but I know that won't ever happen cause my Mom won't talk to me.

How do you guys beat depression during the winter? Or hold it off?

I have a job too which I'm happy with, but even then I have intrusive thoughts and if I don't keep myself in check, I slip into suicidal idealation.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
I don't know how to cope but I really hate it. It really messes me up. Makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. It's like the darkness makes me feel trapped inside my house and my mind. It feels like I'm a caged animal. :mum

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Every tried a light box??

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the light box thing, but it seems more like a placebo effect. I do have a lamp that gives off a natural light besides ugly fluorescence.

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
I have this too, I f--king hate it. I think it's actually more to due with daylights saving time for my case though. I hate the fact that it begins to dim at 4:30 PM and totally dark at 5PM.

I'm lucky that I have a 6-2PM shift, meaning that I get at least 2 and a half hours before "night time" but for those who work 8-4 or 9-5, it must suck to have to spend your entire day inside only to get out and it's already dark.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I work from 10am-6pm, its dark when I get out...and I hate cold weather. doesn't help my circulation and energy levels either.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I like winter, especially this winter because it's been sunny and cold, my favorite kind of weather.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I started my first Tai-chi class Monday as a way to renew myself and get some more energy in me. Felt great afterwards, a bit awkward to begin with since 75% of the class composed of middle-aged women. The only guys there were me and the massage therapist that got me into the class.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I love winter, sports, snow, skiing. I have trouble getting depressed when I have so much happening.

·
Mega awesome
5,080 Posts
Yea it might be bothering me. It's been all cloudy these past few weeks and maybe that's why I'm all moody who knows. I just want some warm weather.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I've found a way to counteract the depression. I decided to help people in need this X-mas on a few things, as well as give my massage clientele an extra gift when they go home next week. The feeling of someone saying thanks and hugging me is one of the greatest feelings in the world and you can make that one person or family happy with just a small act of kindness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts