Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will listening to tapes/cds while sleeping help?

Thinking of giving this a shot to subconsciously brainwash myself.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
It's supposed to help change the subconscious. I found though I don't like hearing someone talking while I'm trying to sleep, it just annoys me, so I gave up on that. Look up Super-Sleep and Think Right Now. The makers of Think Right Now don't recommend listening while sleeping as the most efficient method of listening to the cds but say it will work, but not as fast as other listening strategies.

·
Banned
320 Posts
I wouldn't put too much faith in the "subconscious", or "unconscious". These are psychoanalytic notions that are clearly debatable (see, for example, Sartre). As for listening to tapes: I wouldn't rely on them alone. If you use them as part of an arsenal to battle SAD, then they can play some positive role in your recovery. Just remember that no matter what, the most effective ways of managing SAD are: (1) drugs, (2) CBT, or (3) drugs and CBT. All involve facing your fears in real situations in a step by step manner. There's no easy way out like just listening to some tapes before you sleep.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It might help, but active participation (aka: saying phrases out loud) will have a greater and faster effect than passive listening

·
Single
347 Posts
Go for it! It helps just as much as sleeping on your textbook under the pillow before the night of the big test. You know what they say about osmosis. Higher concentration moves to lower concentration :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was told in psychology lecture it doesn't work.

I've woken up with the tv on before. The sound gets louder and louder as I wake up.

But your brain will alert you for irregular patterns. Bangs, crashes etc. Then wake you up as it's a danger threat.

I wouldn't recommend earphones if your going to try it. You can get soreness inside your ears from the pillow pressure, that can lead to ear infections.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also tried it but i got fed up listening to it, even on super low volume. What I think is much more effective is to just meditate a little while you are lying in bed before you sleep. try to go to sleep with positive thoughts.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive got a bunch of these ive downloaded before but never really listened to if anyone wants ill upload em somewhere for everyone
im interested..

but i've tried listenin to some, some are just so boring.

i've tired meditating, being positive and etc., but it hasn't worked. i think a lot are subconscious.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yhank you for taking the time to do it. T hanks for giving fellow people achance. !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts