Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Are you asking whether exercise itself will decrease anxiety? Or whether being in a gym's environment will decrease anxiety?

In my experience, exercise whether done at home or at a gym will improve your self image.

As far as going to a gym, I'm pretty self conscious so I only work out at home. Going to a gym and competing with other really buff body builder guys makes me anxious.

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
yeah i agree, it makes me nervous when there's a bunch of other really fit people hanging out and working out. plus no one at my gym ever says anything, making it even more awkward xD

·
sp chick
222 Posts
working out in general produces feel good chemicals (endorphins) ...i hear working out is good if you have anxiety, but im not sure if it reduces it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, it helps. I joined a gym in March and it has been a great stress reliever. It's also a good exercise in exposure because I have to be around other people.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
When I first started, I was pretty anxious that people were judging me because I didn't know much of what I was doing. But after I learned a bit and got a bit stronger, I didn't feel anxious anymore. Now, I judge the loud, enormous muscle heads, they don't judge me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Definitely helps with the depression and self esteem which I guess is linked in with the anxiety. Since I started going to the gym I'm no longer so self-conscious about my body which is cool.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Since I started going to the gym I'm no longer so self-conscious about my body which is cool.
Great news! I started to do a little exercise myself at home. Going to a Gym myself takes a nerve.

Proud of you!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no just going there will it help me to decease even excersiceing will it help me to decrease it

since I have a fear for going to gyms

·
Registered
760 Posts
Definitely helps with the depression and self esteem which I guess is linked in with the anxiety. Since I started going to the gym I'm no longer so self-conscious about my body which is cool.
Good for you!

I joined about the same age as you. I was a bean pole. It was intimidating at first when there were fit glamorous ppl everywhere but ppl are all there for their own needs. The weights area would be hard esp on busy weekday nights so I'd ease my way into it with quieter days first. Plus I'd find it hard to exert all my energy and show emotions (grunting etc) because I felt I was being watched.

Not sure if you felt this way or if anyone else does/did on here but you do feel better.

To answer the inital question of the poster, I would recommend it. Just be weary of fees (it's an issue in Australia with one of the major companies).

btw i havent been to the gym in years lol.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
It definitely couldn't hurt! It's a positive thing I think. But if I were you I'd exercise at home first till I felt like I was comfortable in my abilities and then join the gym. I mean...unless you are already comfortable with your abilities outside the gym, haha. Then join! If it doesn't work out you can cancel your membership, I'm sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Before i joined a gym i couldnt work out in front of people, but since i was forced to i eventually got used to it. It also helps with similar situations where you may not be able to do certain things in front of others.
Its also a decent stress reliever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it does decrease anxiety in a way. You learn to focus on yourself more and others less. At least in the gym. I have kept it up for a couple years now. At first I would try to block out everyone with headphones and baseball cap pulled low and show up early or late in the day. I remember feeling like I was center of attention and like people where judging my technique and weights and everything.
I'm pretty desensitized to that now. Not to say I am striking up conversations with other members. I do feel like it helps build confidence in a certain way because of the gains I have made in time. I started working out with a friend recently who is a self conscious beginner and it feels good to encourage him since I remember that anxiety clearly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Exercise helps me with depression and anxiety but I do it at home, not a gym.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Not sure about the gym part of it, but exercise in itself is proven to reduce anxiety and depression, as long as you get your heart rate up and do it on a consistent basis. The effects aren't always immediate but it actually should help a little.

From my experience, it is especially helpful if you have generalized anxiety disorder. Social anxiety is a harder barrier to break through from my experience.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Some gyms have fitness classes that you can go, inclusive in your membership, I know my gym does, going to one of those at your gym could help I guess.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts