Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I've tried Zoloft, Lexapro and Paxil and they all seem to reduce my severe social anxiety well but not enough. I feel they've all only reduced it about 30%. I'm currently on Paxil btw for almost 3 months. On my next appointment which is on August 5th I want to ask him to prescribe me a benzodiazepine. The problem is that I'm only 15 years old and I wonder if my age will get in the way. Or will he just have to put me on an SSRI again?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Trying another SSRI is really pointless, an SNRI like Effexor XR or Pristiq could work as they have a different mechanism of action. If your "rest-anxiety-symptoms" are mainly physical (a racing heart, trembling, sweating...) then the beta blocker Inderal (Propranolol) is a good choice as it works very fast and strongly reduces those symtpoms without being addictive. Unlike Benzos getting Inderal is pretty easy in general. Otherwise just asking for a benzo isn't too risky, the worst what can happen is that your doctor hits you with his prescription pad. ;) Just kidding. Another option would be Neurontin or Lyrica, those can be added to antidepressants and help with anxiety.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You're welcome. ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I asked my psychiatrist on my first visit and got one. Benzodiazepines are fairly safe drugs, they just carry tolerance and dependence issues.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
yeah tell him the ssri's arent working, and ask directly for xanax, and tell him you have no history of drug and alcohol abuse
I wouldn't even mention the drug/alcohol issue unless the doc brings it up first. The first thing you'd expect a junkie to say is "I'm not a junkie," so I wouldn't say anything unless the doc resists giving a prescription by saying something like "...but benzos are addictive". At that point then I think it would be reasonable to respond with something like "Yes, I'm aware of that from my online research, but SSRIs simply aren't getting the job done and given that I have no personal nor family history of drug nor alcohol abuse I thought they would be a reasonable medication to try next."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts