Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the doctor put me on xanax 0.5 mg 3 times a day because i've been having heart stress, which seems to be anxiety. now i've got my whole family yelling at me and calling me with testimonials about how evil these drugs are and how they're going to get me hooked on this stuff and unable to come off it without dangerous withdrawal.

Is that true of a 10 frickin day supply of xanax? I'm pretty frustrated with them right now to be honest, first time someone prescribes me anything for my anxiety and they have no inkling of how horrible it's been to me.

I'm going to see a psychiatrist soon anyway and ask to go on lexapro or something like that, but is xanax really that bad?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
10 days of 1.5mg per day will not cause any significant withdrawal symptoms. Maybe slight rebound anxiety/insomnia, but nothing more.

It took me a week of 4mg per day to notice any sort of tolerance and inter-dose withdrawal happening.

In other words, chill out and enjoy your Xans.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Well... it relaxes you and makes you not care so much about what happens, right? So you may be too smart to get addicted right now, but at the end of the week you will be so relaxed and stupid that you won't even care about getting addicted.

That's how it works, and you will never know until one day you wake up and realize you barely remember the past 4 years.

If you can just tough it out and find natural ways to relax instead, it would be worth it.

This is coming from someone who is going through it. I've beaten other drug addictions, but nothing for me is as scary as when I have to quit benzos and face down all my fears but now with the withdrawal they are multiplied times 10. I also scared off the love of my life because of the withdrawal. Trust me, you don't wanna know how bad that feels. All I wanted was to get off of the stuff so I could remember her better, and I ended up scaring her off and leaving her thinking this is who I'm gonna be when I get through it.

You're lucky that your family cares so much about you and it sounds like they know from experience. I think you already decided that you don't care though, and you're just on here trying to get somebody to support you.

But ask yourself this... could drinking for 10 days straight make somebody an alcoholic? If you don't believe it, just go to an AA meeting and ask one of them how many drinks it takes to get addicted. I bet you they'll all say that they were hooked on the first drink because it felt so good and now it's hard to imagine life without it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
But ask yourself this... could drinking for 10 days straight make somebody an alcoholic? If you don't believe it, just go to an AA meeting and ask one of them how many drinks it takes to get addicted. I bet you they'll all say that they were hooked on the first drink because it felt so good and now it's hard to imagine life without it.
You're bringing up a good point about the difference between psychological and physiological addiction. Yeah, you can get psychologically hooked after a few uses, but full physical addiction takes more time. No one is going to get the DTs after one alcoholic drink.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
You're bringing up a good point about the difference between psychological and physiological addiction. Yeah, you can get psychologically hooked after a few uses, but full physical addiction takes more time. No one is going to get the DTs after one alcoholic drink.
Very true.

And I think the key to not getting psychologically addicted is to be scared enough of the long term effects, and the key to not getting physically addicted is just to not take them for very long.

But I think it's always playing with fire to even try them. Especially if you have a low tolerance for psychological pain, or if you're good at manipulating doctors.

I don't want to make anyone depressed though who might be hooked on them already. Eventually you'll get tired enough of it that the risks outweigh the rewards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.