Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really know what I bring to the table. I can't really think of why someone would want to know me. Sometimes I wonder if I'm so mistrustful of people because I can't see any reason they'd want to associate with me, so they must be up to something if they show any interest in me.

How do you know what others want from you?

·
Byebye SAS.
2,957 Posts
You're friendly. Thats one off the bat

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
I'm not sure. I have nothing to offer anyone in a friendship. I'm not interested in anything that anyone else is interested in. I hate going out and doing stuff, I don't have conversations, and I don't laugh much. I'm usually not interested in what other are talking about, or I have no idea what they are talking about, so I never have anything to contribute.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I have no clue. :( I try to be friendly/nice but that's nowhere near enough to earn friends, even I know that, otherwise I'd have slews of them. Being on SAS has made me realize that I don't even seem to be that interested in people, more like I'm interested in their interests and how that all relates to me. (Kind of Aspergery, I think.) Which makes me feel terribly selfish and guilty, but, I guess it's only the truth...why else do I have no real desire to befriend anyone unless they have practically everything in common with me?

And then even on the rare occasions I might come across somebody who fits the bill, I still manage to blow it with my distrust and avoidance...

Seeing as I currently have only one or two casual online friends I don't keep in very constant touch with (sometimes I feel very presumptuous calling them my friends, seeing how rarely I reply to them!), and all my other friendships have fallen through, I can see I really don't have anything to offer that somebody else might want or need. Not even people with my interests. Thus, no reason for anyone to be my friend. :rain

So I also get suspicious when somebody seems "too" friendly...not only do the really friendly/interested people tend to lose interest in me quickest, but all I can ever think is, what could they possibly want from ME? :| They must either have an ulterior motive, or they've made a mistake and misjudged me as a far better/more interesting friend than I really am, and either way I'll stop hearing from them pretty soon.

Alas, time always proves my suspicions to be correct. -_-

·
God, Family, Homeland
569 Posts
What I bring to my friendships is primarily loyalty. I'm up for doing pretty much anything but it's mostly outdoors and going out type stuff. I'm pretty handy and I've helped with things like auto repairs.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I'm loyal, fun, and useful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I often suspect that they just want an intimate relationship and if thats not really the case then hell thats cool with me I guess. Just sucks that I end up avoiding them even more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel the same way that you do, and I'm also considered pretty distant/cold by most people.

Most people who want to talk to you probably just want to talk. Nothing more, nothing less. You don't have to be mistrustful, which I know is easier said than done. I have pretty major trust/relationship issues too.

People you want to be friends with shouldn't really demand anything of you imo. You don't want to be friends with people who only want to use you.

I usually feel like a useless and boring piece of ****, but not because of anyone I know. All my lasting friendships have been with people that have a common interest with me. I'm a huge nerd, so tech and gaming for me. If you like drawing, try to find other artists. If you like music, find other musicians. Etc, etc.

·
Still playing.
7,256 Posts
I'm funny, smart, interesting, fun, and pretty.

I'm the total ****ing package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow. After reading the responses by Nanuki, Relinquished, tehuti, and malis...I feel the same way. How the hell do we all have the same general thought processes?!

Can I please get in contact with any of you? I've never met ANYONE in person like us, and I would love to at least try talking to any or all of you.
Even if we don't talk about anything else, we can at least talk about our problems since they're so similar!
We could even do a group chat or something so there's not as much pressure as in 1 on 1 conversations. Please PM me or something if you would at least like to try talking!

God, I can't tell you how relieved I am to actually see others like me. Let's try and work out or problems together? I feel like with multiple people there's actually some hope.

·
Maybe?
2,598 Posts
There are always reasons. Someone doesn't have to be super-outgoing and confident.

As far as knowing what people want, it's just a sense. People act differently depending on what they're trying to get out of an interaction and how hard they're trying to hide something unpleasant.

·
God, Family, Homeland
569 Posts
Good question, lol. I don't know. I can be funny sometimes I think?

Most people don't want anything from me. :stu
Not true. I want your soul.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great question. People become friends with other people only if they have something to gain from that person. This is the honest truth no matter how much people won't admit it. Why would people want to be friends with someone who is boring, never goes out, never talks, etc? Ask yourself this.....if you were a regular person (normal social life, decent job, etc.)....would you want to be good friends with your SA self? ....probably not

·
Registered
85 Posts
i don't, i realized that in past friendships i was almost always being used for something, but i think its all life lessons. now i know that if i start to realize i am being used or taken advantage of, its time to ditch those ppl cause its not worth it... haven't had friends for a while, but generally i am a nice person? i am trustworthy and i am a terrible liar so i guess thats good lol

·
Super Moderator
33,897 Posts
I don't really know what I bring to the table. I can't really think of why someone would want to know me. Sometimes I wonder if I'm so mistrustful of people because I can't see any reason they'd want to associate with me, so they must be up to something if they show any interest in me.

How do you know what others want from you?
On this forum? You're very interesting. You also contribute a lot. People might also offer you friendship here just to show support. It's fine to question the motives of other people. I do it all the time. Maybe it reveals a little paranoia but that might be healthier than you think in this world.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts