Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on 4th week Efexor 75mg and my phy told me to raise to 150, I still see no effect whatsoever so maybe this is not the drug for me, wouldn't it be better to switch to another antidepressant rather than increasing this one? I think that if it was any good I would have noticed so far...

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
In my experience, raising the dosage of that medication was effective. 75 did nothing for me, but 150 was useful (I couldn't handle the side effects, but that's a different story). My doctor said that at higher dosages, more chemicals were affected, or...something? I'm thinking that someone else here would be better able to explain the chemistry.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
Mine was only truly effective at 150 mg. So - it makes sense that your doctor wants to raise it. 75 mg is a starting dose, I believe.

I'm on a very low dose 37.5 mg because they are weaning me off of it.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The reasoning for increasing the dose is because effexor doesn't really start to work on norepinephrine significantly until 150 mg is reached, so at your current dose of 75 mg it is mostly only affecting serotonin.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's fine to know what you all say, I so got used to SSRIs which are, in general, fast acting at a standard dose but this must be diff'rent.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
it's fine to know what you all say, I so got used to SSRIs which are, in general, fast acting at a standard dose but this must be diff'rent.
What do you mean fast acting ?
They all should be given at least 8 weeks so don't give up on it just yet
Also taking drugs/drinking can decrease their effectiveness

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What have been the side effects people get with effexor? And what did those of you who got rid of it do instead? They've bounced me between 75 and 150 for a few years now.
What side effects do you experience? and do you find it effective?

If not, you may want to look into a different med.

I've never taken Effexor, but I'm on Lexapro and if it didn't work well for me in the first 3 months, I would've most likely changed to a different med.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Effexor takes awhile before you notice a difference. And it is not fast acting, neither are any SSRIs. Like others said, 75 mg is probably not a high enough dosage. But, I warn you, Effexor is extremely difficult to get off of. And if you miss a dose you will likely experience not so pleasant side effects
I was thinking about trying Effexor or any other anti depressant until I read about side effects you get if you miss a dose. That's why I chose to stick with Lexapro lol I miss a few days here and there and notice no difference.

Even though a SNRI might be more effective, I'll probably stay on Lexapro for a while unless it suddenly poops out.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I was thinking about trying Effexor or any other anti depressant until I read about side effects you get if you miss a dose. That's why I chose to stick with Lexapro lol I miss a few days here and there and notice no difference.

Even though a SNRI might be more effective, I'll probably stay on Lexapro for a while unless it suddenly poops out.
I guess if you really wanted to try an SNRI but wanted to avoid effexor, then cymbalta or pristiq could still be an option?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I guess if you really wanted to try an SNRI but wanted to avoid effexor, then cymbalta or pristiq could still be an option?
Yeah I might some day. I have read that although the side effects kinda suck, Effexor is helpful with both anxiety & depression even when compared to Pristiq, which is strange cause from what I heard Pristiq is supposed to be Effexor with a longer half life.

Right now I'm satisfied with Lexapro and Addy(which is amazing btw) though.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Yeah I might some day. I have read that although the side effects kinda suck, Effexor is helpful with both anxiety & depression even when compared to Pristiq, which is strange cause from what I heard Pristiq is supposed to be Effexor with a longer half life.
I think it's partly because Pristiq is currently underdosed. Initial data seemed to suggest that it had no more improvement above the starting dose of 50 mg, however there seems to be strong anecdotal evidence that higher doses are infact more effective for depression.
At the same time you don't want to go too high because of potential cardiovascular side effects. So I think it's still going through some growing pains, finding the ideal dose range.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you mean fast acting ?
They all should be given at least 8 weeks so don't give up on it just yet
Also taking drugs/drinking can decrease their effectiveness
I mean seeing results within a week like with paroxetine and citalopram. Citalopram made me jittery but at the same time wiped away all negative thoughts from my head.
Actually drinking doesn't make an AD less effective in spite of personal experiences but it's widely known that negative side effects of both alcohol and the AD are increased when taken together (and that's what I also read on Wyeth's).
When I was on paroxetine I used to booze way harder than now and as a result I felt sick on the day after but also very much aroused like no time during sober days.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I mean seeing results within a week like with paroxetine and citalopram. Citalopram made me jittery but at the same time wiped away all negative thoughts from my head.
That's surprising but I have heard of some people already feeling some positive results within the first week.

I personally didn't feel any positive effects from Lexapro until 4 weeks of taking the meds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.