Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for you neuro-pharmacologists out there. Does anyone know why paxil is effective in treating SAD? more specifically, what receptors paxil targets that explain its efficacy in treating SAD?

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
it's just the best at hitting the serotonin transporter.

Reactions: shana

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
f**k paxil. If by "works" you mean "dramatically effects you" as compared to other SSRIs that did completely nothing for me, than yes. I'm really pissed though and I hate the drug. I would like to know the answer your question though so maybe something else (safer) can be found. 5HT2 C?... that's wrong I will find out later

·
Registered
171 Posts
f**k paxil. If by "works" you mean "dramatically effects you" as compared to other SSRIs that did completely nothing for me, than yes. I'm really pissed though and I hate the drug...
Dito!

The only different thing about it is:
  1. Its extremely freaking selective for SERT
  2. Its metabolites are essentially inactive
  3. It has antimicrobial and antifungal propterties
Other than that its just another placebo effect with ****y side effects:|

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I took this stuff for 3 months and stopped cold turkey
Just another expensive placebo pill

·
Registered
271 Posts
Worked for me for over 6 yrs... Got me into college, made friends, got a job etc etc.
Something I don't have now and something I didnt find when triying zoloft, lexapro, wellbutrin and effexor.
There were side effects but im thinking of getting back on it.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Worked for me for over 6 yrs... Got me into college, made friends, got a job etc etc.
Something I don't have now and something I didnt find when triying zoloft, lexapro, wellbutrin and effexor.
There were side effects but im thinking of getting back on it.
Was it your first AD ?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Are you telling me you failed to get the anorgasmia that Paxil is supposed to provide?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I guess so far the answer is no one really knows. I decided to take Nardil anyway so hopefully I'll never have to take paxil. But if you could figure out exactly what part of paxil helped SA then maybe you could try and replicate that activity for future meds to treat SA

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The first time on it I got it a bit
The second time i got nothing
What I'm about to say I just realized two days ago... and it makes me sick. It may sound trivial to some people but to me it's not because 1. I am a man 2. My body is sacred to me (bc my mind and emotions are f'ed, but my body I can control). Well here it is: I have always been able to shoot my semen... pretty far and forceful. All of a sudden, around the week before I went to my freshman year in college my semen came out very weak and was slightly more forceful than just dripping. IT has been like that since then, gotten a little better but nothing close to what it used to be. I thought it was just cause I getting older (but Im 20). So I just remembered my pdoc who was prescriping it for the first time warned "there is a risk that it can cause irregular ejaculations" (IN FRONT OF MY MOM!) so I just brushed it under the rug and mumbled that I wasn't concerned about that.

This is the important part: On paxil, m-bation was great, no bad effects, just the positive of lasting longer. I put the pieces together and found out that the problem happened shortly after I stopped taking paxil! Then I looked it up and found out that this is the most common side effect of paxil: upon discontinuation of use, you develop abnormal ejaculations. They might as well just say "inability to have a forceful ejaculation", I'm upset that they don't elaborate on that more, some ppl might thing abnormal would make it shoot farther or something else.

This feeling is similar to having your penis size reduced, but not as severe... So I'm pissed.

On a side note, I remember paxil made me enjoy music A LOT and find deep meaning and comfort in it. It also made me forget basically that whole period of my life when I was on it (senior year high school). it is very foggy. It's like my "Dark Age". that's actually a really good triple meaning because I described my experience on paxil to another member and I said it made everything dark: the world and how I saw it was literally darker than usual

·
FAKE
1,117 Posts
i dunno i guess i just feel estranged from it, my wiener. like i'll release urine from it and i'll be like yo foreal is that my weewee dogg aw hell no. kno what i mean?

·
Registered
171 Posts
On a side note, I remember paxil made me enjoy music A LOT and find deep meaning and comfort in it. It also made me forget basically that whole period of my life when I was on it (senior year high school). it is very foggy. It's like my "Dark Age". that's actually a really good triple meaning because I described my experience on paxil to another member and I said it made everything dark: the world and how I saw it was literally darker than usual
Wow, me too. I have no memory from when I was on SSRI's. It also made me more depressed and anxious, but with new research that hardly seems surprising:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21459521

and not to mention 5-HTTLPR:
http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v8/n6/abs/nn1463.html
according to that, SSRI's should actually cause depression and anxiety!

and, with 5ht2 stimulation causing sexual problems, SSRI's could actually worsen or cause sexual problems (ie- non-forceful ejaculations)

SSRI's are scary ****

·
Finding Solutions
22 Posts
side effects will always be there. personally havent tried it due to the withdrawal ive been reading about over and over again on forums. i was genuinely scared to try even one pill of paxil. my psychiatrist didnt like the idea of me not trying it and instead put me on escitalopram/Lexapro which takes about 6 months to work.
i will tell you these ssris are def NOT placebo pills. A placebo would not give you such drastic side effects which means it is doing something in the body. Paxil was explained to me by my psychiatrist (have read something similar somewhere else) that it floods the brain with serotonin far more than other ssri's. this was conclusive after many studies

1 - 20 of 24 Posts