Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel like their SA is better when they're sick? Seems like everytime I get a bad cold my SA is a lot better. I guess it kinda makes sense cause your energy levels are lower, but there's almost something different about it. It's not like going for a jog and talking to someone after.

It's to the point it'd be nice to find something to duplicate the effect, outside of the illness part obviously. Anyone know what happens to ones brain chemistry when they have a cold? And what med might have a similar effect?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well personally I can't ever remember a cold helping my SA at all, but when I was a teenager whenever I had to go out somewhere I would go around the house and start sniffing as much dust as I could to give me really bad allergies. Therefore I would have a good excuse not to be sociable and could pass of myself off as a normal person. Good times. So that's my only explanation, a quite obvious one. Sometimes being sick (having a totally common and normal physical ailment) is like geting a get out of jail free card for SA because it changes the way other people will react to you, perhaps more sympathetically letting you be less afraid.

·
Lauren
332 Posts
I totally feel worse when I'm sick. I'm always paranoid that my voice is going to get all squeaky and cut out; that is usually what happens to me when I'm sick :no plus I feel like a bag of crap.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
I don't know about the brain chemistry aspect but my SA is lessened when I'm ill because all my energy is consumed by the illness and I don't have any left for anxiety. I feel less pressure to be sociable when I'm ill as well, perhaps because there's an obvious reason why I might not be talking much. In turn, less pressure makes it easier for me to relax and talk. It's weird.

·
Custom User Title
4,231 Posts
^Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I think it probably simply has to do with the fact my energy level is very low so there isn't much energy left to be nervous. But I actually am able to be more social at the same time. I'll be in situations that normally make me struggle and I don't. I'm more myself and more social. I almost enjoy getting sick, lol.

Oh well, guess there's no sure answer as to what happens to your brain chemistry but it'd be cool to find out

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
Maybe it's cuz of the meds?

I know that when I get a bad cold too, I feel a little high and that results in a case of the giggles and a small loss of inhibitions.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think it's becouse your body temperature rise, and maybe your brain have better circulation, and making more neurotransmitters? :D It's funny but I have the same when I have fever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it is redused anxiety resulting from knowing that expectations from others on you are lowered. You dont "have" to be anything you dont want right now - you are sick. So less anxiety -> more carefree reactions -> low SA. Maybe this gives you also a better insight of your SA.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If its something painful like the flu or strep throat or a bad cold the body will kick up its production and release of endorphins, giving a more "in control" feeling. Thats another possibility.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i have a cold right now and i came hear searching for a question like this and found it...it seems like since our energy is being focused on fighting our cold we don't have all that negative brain chatter as well as not having as much energy to fuel thoughts of inhibition. maybe it also has to do with being stuffed up and disoriented, kind of like being drunk. this does happen to me though so there must be something that goes on. i feel almost high at times, like i'll just randomly start laughing uncontrollably at something and feel so at ease. i also agree with the expecting less of you theory. i feel like people know i'm sick so they won't be expecting much from me.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I get this too. When I'm sick my sa goes down because the illness distracts me from others people. Maybe we should fake being sick. Like just pretend to be sick so that people won't expect much from us. I also get this the next day after smoking weed, where my mind is all dulled out, plus when I'm feeling really angry or depressed over my life situation. My sa goes down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't say for sure but your brain could be sending out more nurotransmiters to deal with the pain, and in turn it helps your SA. It could also explain why some people get better with a cold and some don't. Those who do get better I suggest looking up nurotransmiters that deal with pain and are found to be lacking in people with anxiety. You might find a deficiency that's the root of your SA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.