Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not 100% a Dick
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad keeps telling me how I need to lose weight and start exercising more. Even though I've lost weight already and people have been telling me how skinny I look. I've told him that I'm comfortable how I am but he doesn't care. My moms a tiny petite person, I got curves from my aunts. I think my dad wants me to be like my mom, but I'm never going to be a size 2. I was happy that I can now fit back into my size 8 skirt. But he says he's more concerned about how losing more weight will effect my emotional health, like losing twenty pounds will instantly make my anxiety disappear. My family say they love me, but why can't they just love me as I am instead of trying to fix me. I just want to scream, I'm not broken!! I'm just a little crooked.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
My dad keeps telling me how I need to lose weight and start exercising more. Even though I've lost weight already and people have been telling me how skinny I look. I've told him that I'm comfortable how I am but he doesn't care. My moms a tiny petite person, I got curves from my aunts. I think my dad wants me to be like my mom, but I'm never going to be a size 2. I was happy that I can now fit back into my size 8 skirt. But he says he's more concerned about how losing more weight will effect my emotional health, like losing twenty pounds will instantly make my anxiety disappear. My family say they love me, but why can't they just love me as I am instead of trying to fix me. I just want to scream, I'm not broken!! I'm just a little crooked.
Give us and.update on this. Did you get things worked out with your Dad?

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sounds to me like they don't understand what you're going through with your anxiety. I understand your post was written in April of last year, so hopefully this has changed for the better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sometimes I don't understand parents. There are enough problems you have to deal with out in the real world. Why do they add on to the stress. All you can do sometimes is just love yourself and ignore it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some parents seem to project their ideas of perfection onto their children or worry too much about what others are thinking about them. I never use to care much about my image. I mean I liked to take care of myself and look nice, but I was never insecure about how I looked. It was always more important what was on the inside. I feel like my parents could have been proud of this attitude that I had (especially when there are so many young girls who are insecure about their appearance,) but instead I was criticised for how I looked and told to act more lady-like. So I took an interest in clothes and hair like I thought they wanted, but they didn't agree with my style. I've ended up in arguments about my hair/clothes and had to deal with being stared at constantly just for having a little spot. I try to ignore it and be comfortable in myself, but it's not always easy. Still, we need to stand up and live our own lives at some point rather than becoming just what our parents want. I think I would live to regret that.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I also have this weight problem with my dad, thankfully the prozac keeps me calm and I can talk back to him without getting angry and stressed out by his bull****. I told him look dad I got mom's body so shut the **** up! I don't understand why they have to do this to us, doesn't this weight bashing cause some of us to go anorexic?

·
Proud Honduran
801 Posts
Have you told them it bothers you?

And the whole thing with losing weight and eating healthier will make anxiety and depression go away can be true sometimes, but not always. Your family needs to understand that anxiety and depression are more-so problems due to a chemical imbalance; they require more than a simple workout routine and fruits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts