Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But it's not considered taking advantage when a woman sleeps with a drunk man. What if both are drunk? Why can women claim rape in the morning if she regrets it but fully consented the night before? Now I am not talking about pitch black drunk but tipsy enough to shed inhibition while still retaining cognitive functions.

The excuse "I was drunk" doesn't fly for anything else in life but why in this scenario and only if you are a woman. To me this double standard is ridiculous especially since it can land someone in legal trouble for something they didn't do.

·
Swedish Feminist
3,286 Posts
But it's not considered taking advantage when a woman sleeps with a drunk man. What if both are drunk? Why can women claim rape in the morning if she regrets it but fully consented the night before? Now I am not talking about pitch black drunk but tipsy enough to shed inhibition while still retaining cognitive functions.

The excuse "I was drunk" doesn't fly for anything else in life but why in this scenario and only if you are a woman. To me this double standard is ridiculous especially since it can land someone in legal trouble for something they didn't do.
What are you talking about? "I was drunk" (especially if followed by any variants of "she was asking for it") is a good enough reason for many people to relieve a rapist (most of the time a man) from all responsibility.

And what's with the persistent claim that women just make rape accusations when they refuse to take responsibility for their action? The rates of reported rape are lower than ever. (So in other words, there are more women who are blaming themselves for something they didn't want to have happened when they probably shouldn't have to.)

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
If both are drunk then its unlikely anything can be done in court.

Its considered taking advantage for the same reason tattoo parlos (at least reputable ones) can't tattoo drunk clients - you cannot give consent under the influence.

And yes, a woman who sleeps with a drunk man could face charges if the man decides to press them.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you talking about? "I was drunk" (especially if followed by any variants of "she was asking for it") is a good enough reason for many people to relieve a rapist (most of the time a man) from all responsibility.

And what's with the persistent claim that women just make rape accusations when they refuse to take responsibility for their action? The rates of reported rape are lower than ever. (So in other words, there are more women who are blaming themselves for something they didn't want to have happened when they probably shouldn't have to.)
Perhaps the rapes are lower than ever because statistically rapes are occurring less often. Your argument is just baseless speculation at best.

·
Wonderland
10,619 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesd :

When I see a drunk girl, I think jackpot. Something just switches inside of me. Like when a lion sees an injured zebra. The natural instinct is to pounce.
Erm enough said?

Is it or is it not taking advantage or the zebra being injured? ... and because we are humans and this is meant to be equal why would it not be considered taking advantage (your the one who wrote it like this..)

Your idea , find a super drunk girl who says no but she is drunk enough to do it anyways .... or a girl basically knocked out - and do it with her and it be ok

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally Posted by jamesd :

Erm enough said?

Is it or is it not taking advantage or the zebra being injured? ... and because we are humans and this is meant to be equal why would it not be considered taking advantage (your the one who wrote it like this..)

Your idea , find a super drunk girl who says no but she is drunk enough to do it anyways .... or a girl basically knocked out - and do it with her and it be ok
It was a joke. A line from the movie The 40 Year Old Virigin. You are reading too much into it. Plus you are now saying words that I never written. I never condoned nonconsensual sex. Where have I said anything remotely resembling what you wrote about forcing someone who is saying no? I guess I should drudge through your posting history, take a line out of context then infer a conclusion based on said misquoted line. You are a sad little person.

Haven't we already had this discussion?

Though at least this time you don't claim to have been "raped multiple times."
I never claimed to be raped. I merely suggested that by using these double standards I would have been considered raped if I were to be a woman.

You can misquote me all you want to in an attempt to derail my question instead of actually participating in the discussion. Or if you feel uncomfortable don't even bother replying instead of pathetic attempts to throw me off track. This isn't the first time I noticed this either. It's sad that people have to purposely send misinformation just because they don't like the question or the thread starter. Grow up.

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
You can misquote me all you want to in an attempt to derail my question instead of actually participating in the discussion. Or if you feel uncomfortable don't even bother replying instead of pathetic attempts to throw me off track. This isn't the first time I noticed this either. It's sad that people have to purposely send misinformation just because they don't like the question or the thread starter. Grow up.
Defensive, are we?

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
Perhaps the rapes are lower than ever because statistically rapes are occurring less often. Your argument is just baseless speculation at best.
Most rapes go enreported, that has always been the reality. Can you post a source showing that rapes are occuring less often? If not, then your claim is the baseless speculation.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most reapes go enreported, that has always been the reality. Can you post a source showing that rapes are occuring less often? If not, then your claim is the baseless speculation.
Okay if most rapes are unreported how do they compile the statistics for the projected figure? I mean if they are unreported how do they come up with a figure? And I never said rapes ARE occurring less, I merely suggested a reason for said statistical deviance. Sounds like you are the defensive one here. Nice try.

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
Okay if most rapes are unreported how do they compile the statistics for the projected figure? I mean if they are unreported how do they come up with a figure?
There are annual crime surveys that do record crimes that go unreported (such as the National Crime Victimization Survey), as well as studies on the issue. Other numbers come from sources such as rape crisis centers who see victims of crime come for help.

http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

Sounds like you are the defensive one here. Nice try.
Wow, asking for a source is "defensive?" What's under your skin?

At least I'm not the one with a "woe is me" complex.

·
Wonderland
10,619 Posts
No one is taking the text out of context you backed that quoted up when I said something the first time! As I've never watched that movie I had no idea ermm what the quote was- the quote sounds sick and wrong.. does everyone here not agree? ...

How am I a sad little person?

Your the one wanting to take advantage of drunk girls praying on them.... waiting for them to be week? hmm .

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are annual crime surveys that do record crimes that go unreported, as well as studies on the issue. Other numbers come from sources such as rape crisis centers who see victims of crime come for help.

Wow, asking for a source is "defensive?" What's under your skin?
I have noticed that the first few replies tends to set the tone for the rest of thread. When they are positive the rest of the replies tend to be positive, when it's negative it turns negative as well. So when people are hopping on the mob mentality and misquoting me in an attempt to derail the thread yes I get agitated.

I feel slighted because you are doing the same. I never claimed that rapes were occurring less merely suggested a reason for the lower statistics. The user I quoted used that statistic to say that rapes are being reported less because " http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2009/oct/08/rape-women-usa-todaythere are more women who are blaming themselves for something they didn't want to have happened". I merely countered that the rates might be lower because rapes are occurring less. But of course I have to back up my conjecture but no one else does.

Not to mention you are now saying that I have a "woe is me" complex and that I am overly defensive. Which has nothing to do with the thread. You know this and I know this. The only reason you are bringing this is up is so you can try and rile me up. I mean it almost worked until I realized that you are slyly insulting me instead of answering my question. Does this work for you?

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are annual crime surveys that do record crimes that go unreported (such as the National Crime Victimization Survey), as well as studies on the issue. Other numbers come from sources such as rape crisis centers who see victims of crime come for help.

Interesting, the way we choose to view statistics. Ex, if a rape is reported, there is a 50.8% chance of arrest. Does that mean the cops are only going out half the time and making an arrest? Or does it mean often the women doesnt know who did it? (it says reported, which is not the same as accusing someone). Is it at all possible that some, or many of these, fall in the category the OP talks about, reports made out of regret?

Or is it at all possible, based on these statistics, the problem of rape is inflated? Also take note that it includes sexual assault, which has a broad definition, including "Assailants commit sexual assault by way of violence, threats, coercion, manipulation, pressure or tricks." So id be curious, as to what the questionnaire looked like that they used to get these statistics. So if a girl has sex with her boyfriend because he pressured her, but she didnt really want to, these stats make it equal to some guy raping a girl who is blackout drunk.

I know I will be accused of making light of rape, but all I am saying is to maybe look at stats in a different light. TBH, based on your stats, either our justice system is horribly incompetent, or there are a lot of false accusations.

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
I have noticed that the first few replies tends to set the tone for the rest of thread. When they are positive the rest of the replies tend to be positive, when it's negative it turns negative as well. So when people are hopping on the mob mentality and misquoting me in an attempt to derail the thread yes I get agitated.
I think your first post set the tone of the thread.

But of course I have to back up my conjecture but no one else does.
I saw a source posted for the low number of reported rapes. Simply asking for you to produce one is a no-brainer.

Not to mention you are now saying that I have a "woe is me" complex and that I am overly defensive. Which has nothing to do with the thread. You know this and I know this. The only reason you are bringing this is up is so you can try and rile me up. I mean it almost worked until I realized that you are slyly insulting me instead of answering my question. Does this work for you?
Why would I want to "rile you up?" I'm just calling it like I see it. You seem to have a serious chip on your shoulder.

·
Wonderland
10,619 Posts
If both are drunk then its unlikely anything can be done in court.

Its considered taking advantage for the same reason tattoo parlos (at least reputable ones) can't tattoo drunk clients - you cannot give consent under the influence.

And yes, a woman who sleeps with a drunk man could face charges if the man decides to press them.
Oh I always thought they could not consent well drunk because of the fact the blood is thin well drinking? ... but that makes a lot of sense.

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
Its fair enough to ask. But I spent quite a few years studying criminology and these types of stats, so let me answer what i can:

Interesting, the way we choose to view statistics. Ex, if a rape is reported, there is a 50.8% chance of arrest. Does that mean the cops are only going out half the time and making an arrest? Or does it mean often the women doesnt know who did it? (it says reported, which is not the same as accusing someone). Is it at all possible that some, or many of these, fall in the category the OP talks about, reports made out of regret?
No, it means there is a 50.8% chance that the perpetrator will be found and arrested by the police. Usually this imples the scenario of a stranger rape or the person who did it is known but on the run.

Very unlikely they are "regret" reports.

Less than 10% of rape claims turn out to be fasle accusations. Not to say they don't happen because they do, but it is a fact that most rapes are done by acquaintances and go unreported.

Or is it at all possible, based on these statistics, the problem of rape is inflated? Also take note that it includes sexual assault, which has a broad definition, including "Assailants commit sexual assault by way of violence, threats, coercion, manipulation, pressure or tricks." So id be curious, as to what the questionnaire looked like that they used to get these statistics.
What is broad about that to you? Rapes or molestation can be commited by force, threat of force, coercion, pressure or tricks. Point is, consent is absent in all those scenarios.

Rape is not an inflanted problem by a long shot. Its actually quite under-inflated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.