Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the fact that it is NOT recommended to take kolonpin for more than three weeks and about withdrawal from it.

It's just a bummer. I was diagnosed with bipolar about a year ago, and it really seems like they don't tell you the things you need to know.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I would think most doctors would tell you what you need to know, but as a patient if you aren't receiving the information you want/need, then you should be sure to ask for it.

·
La Vie En Rose
1,673 Posts
It really depends on the doctor as an individual, and also on the pharmacist. I've had a dermatologist tried to prescribe me accutane which was meant to be for severe cystic acne, and I only had 3 pimples at the time including some scarring. So...quite minimal. Although I understood his intention, it was definitely an overkill approach when he didn't even try to suggest alternative remedies that would be less harsh, as accutane is suppose to be a last resort considering some of it's severe side effects. He also failed to inform me of all the severe side effects aside from liver toxicity and the risk for birth defects if I were to get pregnant so I was definitely not pleased. I actually told him I wanted to think about it and he tried to coerce me by pretty much saying that how could I know better when he's the professional. And having read reviews on the guy, I saw another patient experienced the same passive-aggressive treatment.

I know quite a lot of people experience success with Accutane but there's also a good portion of people who experience severe side effects because of it or stop during treatment due to such side effects. I trust that he is knowledgeable, but he isn't an expert on my body and it's reactions to certain medications, which is why I needed to be fully informed to make the decision. At the end of the day, it's not the doctor who has to live with the consequences if things turn out wrong. I've been through other experiences and I've learned to not put that much faith and trust in conventional medicine and doctors, because I've experienced more than one occasion where they not only failed me, but made me worse and honestly don't know how to help. But I've also had some really awesome doctors who went out of their way so it's really dependent on the individual.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Doctors always inform me about the known side effects of the drugs they prescribe me... :um They even always give me printed handouts with all the information needed. Sometimes they'll even have me sign a sort of form stating that I was given the proper information.

In the case a doctor is negligent, you can always ask them about it. In fact, even though doctors always inform me about the side effects and such, I still ask all the questions I can think of about details that might not be as widely known, or things they might not know are important to me personally. Doctors can sometimes forget a detail, that's only human. For example, seeing as I've had lots of issues with my weight related to medications, I always ask if weight gain is a side effect. And I ask about the possible interactions with my other medications and foods, and when/how it's best to take a drug. Etc....

They also tell me to go online and look up info about meds I've been prescribed. Whenever a new med is suggested to me, before it's prescribed, I'll look it up online. I'll also be VERY specific about my symptoms so doctors can be more helpful in suggesting a med. (I bolded that part as I suspect many here aren't that upfront about issues as they don't wish to bother a doctor with their complaints, but really, you HAVE to speak up about EVERY symptom. Otherwise...you'll be prescribed something that won't help you at all, and might even be harmful. I've been "misprescribed" drugs for issues I don't have, and in those cases I would make sure to speak up about why I refuse to take them.)

You have to be proactive, speak up, and do the research if the doctors aren't being informative. Speaking up can be a huge issue for people with SA, so in that case, you can always write down the questions you wish to ask the doctor, ahead of time. (I've done that before and they answered all my questions.)

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
They're making too much money from the drug companies to be bothered to inform you of all the horrific possibilities and general failures of an incomplete science.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts