Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm other. No

Votes: 13 27.1%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Not-So-Hip Hippie
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Commonwealth of Nations aka British Commonwealth is an international organisation made up mostly of former British colonies or English speaking countries.

Its always struck me as odd that the US, along with Ireland, aren't members. I figured the Brits are probably afraid they'd be overshadowed, & are the Americans too proud to sign up :/

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
I think this discussion came up about a quarter of a millennium ago :lol.

HA - shameless plug for my username :boogie :boogie :boogie

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
How would being in it benefit us?

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
XD I don't think the commonwealth has a purpose anyways aside from ceremonial. There isn't a benefit. The main reason the U.S and Ireland were never members is because both countries fought against british control in war and thus wanted them to have no influence over them.

·
Out of here
1,680 Posts
The Commonwealth of Nations aka British Commonwealth is an international organisation made up mostly of former British colonies or English speaking countries.

Its always struck me as odd that the US, along with Ireland, aren't members. I figured the Brits are probably afraid they'd be overshadowed, & are the Americans too proud to sign up :/
Well the American War of Independence and Ireland's bloody struggle for independence from Great Britain may have something to do the US and Ireland not belonging.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,372 Posts
Wouldn't they have to revert to being a constitutional monarchy? They all share Queen Elizabeth as their head of state. I really don't think the US would go for that :lol since they tried so hard to distance themselves (even linguistically there is more variation between US and UK spelling/grammar than UK/other Anglo nations.) The US is too proud for that I think, and aside from a few benefits it gives if you want to move to the UK as an individual, not sure there woukd be any reason for them to.

I also think people from some commonwealth nations can run for primeminister of UK or something like that, but I would really need to double check that.

They can definitely vote though if they have an address and are in the country. I don't think the opposite is true though with UK people (unless I'm mistaken) which is unfair.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
XD I don't think the commonwealth has a purpose anyways aside from ceremonial. There isn't a benefit. The main reason the U.S and Ireland were never members is because both countries fought against british control in war and thus wanted them to have no influence over them.
Well the American War of Independence and Ireland's bloody struggle for independence from Great Britain may have something to do the US and Ireland not belonging.
Pretty much this

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
How would being in it benefit us?
You get to lose to Nigeria in the Commonwealth games?

That's about it.
You have got to be kidding me.
Uh-huh. You're not missing much.

In fact, if y'all would like to join the Commonwealth, then Canada would gladly give up its position for you. What a joke.

---

F*** the Commonwealth, and f*** the Queen along with all her useless la-dee-da, holier-than-thou, good-for-d***-all minions who are nothing more than a bunch of glorified socialites who have fooled themselves into thinking they have any actual relevance whatsoever.

Holy f***, I could rant all day about the f***ing royals and the morons who lap up their bulls*** and follow their every move. Our friend Kate Middleton can't take a s*** without the hordes knowing about it.

No. NO.

NO NO NO NO NO.

NOOOOOOOO

·
banana enthusiast
7,067 Posts
No one should be in the commonwealth. It's stupid and pointless. Even Britain shouldn't be in it. They need to throw that stupid queen down a laundry chute. That's my dream.

And someone mentioned money. I'm sick of seeing her stupid face on every bank note. I'd rather look at someone who isn't a complete waste of space - like maybe a potato.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
No thanks, the less we have to do with those common classless American types the better! :twisted j/k! This thread is just silly...

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
No one should be in the commonwealth. It's stupid and pointless. Even Britain shouldn't be in it. They need to throw that stupid queen down a laundry chute. That's my dream.

And someone mentioned money. I'm sick of seeing her stupid face on every bank note. I'd rather look at someone who isn't a complete waste of space - like maybe a potato.
Ditto, I hate people obsessing over royalty. They've done nothing to deserve their position.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,372 Posts
Ditto, I hate people obsessing over royalty. They've done nothing to deserve their position.
Good news, you live in the US where you don't have one.

I don't understand people in the US moaning about this sort of thing, it would be like me moaning that Japan has an 'emperor.' How does it concern me...

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Good news, you live in the US where you don't have one.

I don't understand people in the US moaning about this sort of thing, it would be like me moaning that Japan has an 'emperor.' How does it concern me...
That's just my opinion on people born into royalty. I don't think they deserve special treatment just for being born. I guess if others want to treat them as special then more power to them. They have the same level of importance that celebrities have to me(none).

I just get sick of hearing people obsessing over royalty even in the US. I live in Michigan so I get to see royalty plenty on currency from Canada as well :b I see people criticizing the USA all the time so I'll state my opinion on royalty if I want. And if you didn't notice this topic was about the US and Ireland joining the British Commonwealth. So it is only natural people from the US would be commenting on things in this thread...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts