Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered why it takes more time in these forums than others for people to respond. is it because of S/A or they dont know what to say or how to help or is it because there arent many people here? but i always see "20 people viewing". is it accurate?

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
I actually think people respond pretty fast. But there are times I'll admit when I wonder 'what's taking so long.' I can be down on myself about even my posts though. I'll think 'aww I wrote too much and no one can be bothered reading/replying to it.' At least people respond at all, I suppose.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
I think it's mostly due to SA.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't know, but if someone posts a novel about there life, there is no way I feel like reading or responding to that.

·
Drinking
370 Posts
check out the views versus the responses.
There's your answer.
But actually, like most forums, even though there a lot of people viewing a topic, that doesnt mean they want to respond. Most people are just checking stuff out.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
There are many contributing factors. SA can affect people online, but most of all, I think most here understand that when you don't understand what somebody is going through, that you shouldn't necessarily talk about it. We all know what it's like when "normal people" tell us to snap out of it and "just do it", etc.. so if we don't know first-hand what somebody is going through (and there are many different symptoms and affects of SA), we're not always going to chime in.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
There are many contributing factors. SA can affect people online, but most of all, I think most here understand that when you don't understand what somebody is going through, that you shouldn't necessarily talk about it. We all know what it's like when "normal people" tell us to snap out of it and "just do it", etc.. so if we don't know first-hand what somebody is going through (and there are many different symptoms and affects of SA), we're not always going to chime in.
That's my reason.
If I can't really get or understand what someone is experiencing or don't feel like I can give any good advice on it, I just say nothing.

Also, if it's a lot of reading and I'm not in a reading mood, I won't respond.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I agree that it's down to a combination of different factors. Some people simply might be affected by their SA to the degree they feel too awkward to post. Others might feel awkward about answering in threads because they haven't had the same types of experiences as the poster, or again just might not always feel up to reading through long posts.

Have to admit though there have been times I've worried people don't respond to my posts because I've made them sound too pathetic, negative, boring etc. Though know it's silly for me to think that way really, as it's not as if my posts are never responded to. At least 8 times out of 10 they are. I guess it's having low self esteem that contributes to me thinking that way at times - though really wish I wasn't in the habit I am of doing it!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I don't even think it's slow, sometimes posts slip through the cracks though. The one other place I sometimes post on if I get a response 2 days later that's quick.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
A lot of times I'll read a thread and want to respond but can't come up with anything to say or I'll get something typed out and not like how it came out then delete it before I ever post it.

·
Banned
506 Posts
I actually think people respond pretty fast. But there are times I'll admit when I wonder 'what's taking so long.' I can be down on myself about even my posts though. I'll think 'aww I wrote too much and no one can be bothered reading/replying to it.' At least people respond at all, I suppose.
When I came on here 1st I got really guilty. I replied to a few threads, some which had loads of posts, and then... Nothing. OMG I'm killing threads! I get really guilty about that. Thankfully there were eventually other posts, but I had to wait a while for them.

I agree with most people here that social phobics won't respond to every post. I only respond if I *really* want to, because I get the fear. Just because 200 people have looked at a thread with about 3 posts on it, it doesn't mean they hate it. They just might not feel knowledgable/brave enough to respond.

I need to write less. Most of my posts are epic rants with about 20 paragraphs. That can put people off, I've found.

·
insert witty comment here
6,198 Posts
I cross read lots of threads but if I feel I have nothing to contribute I wont reply. I dont have SA on this board at all.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
i hate it when i'm the last one to post haha!

i've read this thread 3 times now haha and only decided to reply now

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
A lot of times I'll read a thread and want to respond but can't come up with anything to say or I'll get something typed out and not like how it came out then delete it before I ever post it.
I'm the same way. Often I don't post because I feel I have nothing meaningful to contribute, or I can't relate to the topic.

·
Worst poster, hands down
303 Posts
I often find myself typing a reply only to discard it. There are entire sections in this forum that I never ever look at, like meds, because they're not relevant to my interests. Some topics I don't feel qualified or experienced enough to respond to. And even though I've posted to some of the "me too!" types of threads, I don't get anything out of them really.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts