Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been thinking about this lately whats the point of rooting for a team when the likely hood for a team going to the world series, super bowl or what ever may it be is slim to non. for example the last time that the Chicago Cubs actually went to the world series was back in 1908 how can someone cheer for a losing team as you put in time and effort into a team that never makes it to the big show in the first place. for me i think its pointless as you wasted an entire season watching a team fail once again rather it be football, baseball ect.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Of course there are games I don't care about,but I have memories,facts about a lot of players/teams and in EVERY game I watch I have to have a team I WANT to win,becomes boring otherwise

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
My favourite sport is soccer (football in other countries) and being in Canada, the teams generally don't do so great. Soccer isn't so developed here but I do enjoy watching the World Cup, EPL, Spanish/German Leagues. And why root for a team? Sure they might not make it to the finals all the time but sometimes just managing to get past a certain stage or beating certain teams is enough of a victory. Canada's national soccer team won't make it to the World Cup final for a loooong time, but it's nice to root for them to at least do better than they did the previous years.

Overall though, soccer's a great escape for me. I love reading about it and watching it. The culture surrounding it, the fans, and just the game.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I been thinking about this lately whats the point of rooting for a team when the likely hood for a team going to the world series, super bowl or what ever may it be is slim to non. for example the last time that the Chicago Cubs actually went to the world series was back in 1908 how can someone cheer for a losing team as you put in time and effort into a team that never makes it to the big show in the first place. for me i think its pointless as you wasted an entire season watching a team fail once again rather it be football, baseball ect.
They've made it to the World Series since 1908, they just haven't won it. :)

The beauty of it all is that...there is always next year. :yes It's about belonging to something real and bigger than you. And every year is a new chance. The party that Chicago will have should the Cubs ever win...man...

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Well, I'm first and foremost a fan of the sports themselves, and only secondarily a fan of the particular teams I root for. Just watching the games makes me happy, whether or not my team is doing well, and whether or not my team is even involved at all.

And of course when guys from my fantasy teams are playing, my interest goes up even more.

·
Banned
4,424 Posts
I don't really know why I like watching sports. The sports teams in Seattle used to suck(the Mariners still do), but the Sounders and Seahawks are actually good this year. But our city has only had two championships, which are the Stanly Cup in 1917 with the Metropolitans and NBA in 1979 with the Supersonics. So yeah, in that since our teams our bad. But at least I think the Hawks are going to finally win the Super Bowl this year. :D

Soccer is my favorite sport though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I watch sports simply because they were my first love. My earliest memories are watching the Patriots with my dad when I was a lil' tike. As I got older I just got into it more because the concept of fierce competition just fansinated me. I mean I love em that much, that I want to be on the business side of Sports, because I think it is the greatest form of entertainment.

Also it's one hell of a distraction from the problems we have in the world. I think I speak for some of us on here, that it's a distraction from SA and other issues that bother us. Not to mention the economy sucks, we're fighting two wars, and it seems that every couple of months we're hearing about mass shootings where innocent lives are taken away. Let's face it, it sucks for our generation right now. And if watching sports give us the same pleasure as those that watch reality shows, play videogames, work out, etc. then we should indulge.

You say that there is the likelyhood of a team going to a world series, superbowl, stanley cup, etc are slim especially if your team sucks and yea that's true. But that doesn't mean that rooting for your team is a waste of time. Take it from me, I'm from the Boston area. You know how much our teams sucked back in the day before the titles started coming in.

Take the RedSox for an example. About nearly nine years ago (God I feel old) the Sox were in the same position as the Cubs. Hadn't won a title since 1918. Every now and then they had a chance to win it but then there was the series against the Reds, and then they played the Mets in 86 and the freaking ball went through Bill Buckner's legs, and so on. The Sox stunk out the joint so much, but fans were loyal hoping that they would one day reach the promise land and win a title. AND THEY DID IN 04!

We were so happy when the Sox won the title in 04 it was like Times Square after WWII. Celebrations all around and there was this new sense of pride in our city and our team. We were thrilled.

Another example the Patriots. When Adam Viniteri kicked the winning field goal in the Snowball game against Oakland, we were celebrating like we won the whole damn title. And when we did win it that same year it was amazing. And then another one in 04, and another in 05. The New England Patriots established themselves as a dynasty. If anyone knows the history of the Patriots knows how much of an accomplishment that was for us. For the Franchise's existance up untill that point we were the laughing stock. Yea we made it to a Super Bowl here and there, but we flat out sucked! Then in came this guy Bill Billechick and this back up QB that nobody heard of named Tom Brady. And then all of a sudden Bledsoe got injured and then BOOM. A few months later we were at the top of the foodchain and we managed to beat the favorite STL Rams, and our legacy was born. And the fans (like me) who rooted for em and loved em no matter what were thrilled.

Sports bring a lot of emotions to us all. Anger, sadness, joy, etc. But no matter the emotion the ture fans of a franchise no matter how bad will always love their teams because it makes em feel good, and it brings us happiness and a distraction from the uglyness of reality.

Just my perspective.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts