Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, its between two things. The first is that I feel I am wasting my high school career. I will never get to experience HS and College again. People say this is the best time of your life. I don't want to throw it away to SA. I also feel like I am wasting my good looks (not trying to be cocky or conceited, just saying what I think). I know girls (even very attractive ones) try to flirt with me, and it kills me that I get so uncomfortable in front of them. I feel like if anyone else looked like me, they would be able to get most girls at ease. When i moved to my new school last september, all I got was people trying to be friendly to me. 6 weeks later, I don't have any friends at all. Sorry if im being rly shallow and cocky, this is just what I feel.

Another part of me is just so tired of the sheer mental part of it. Walking down the hallway of my school every single day and feeling my stomach wrench and my heart pound is tiring. I feel like I am exhausted because i can't shut my mind off from overanalyzing. I am tense for almost the whole day, and it is just so bad. I think you guys know what i'm talking about :p.

Ultimately, Im sure the second is the main reason why I want to beat the SA. If everyone was repulsed at me for the rest of my life, but I felt comfortable and relaxed, I would be fine. The reality is, If i did become comfortable and stopped my overanalyzing tendencies, im sure the first reason would follow.

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
I don't really...it protects me from getting hurt. Every friend and relationship I've ever been in has ended in disaster for me and if I didn't have SA that would just be more people I'd have met that would have hurt me. My life would probably suck even more if I didn't have SA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd like to defeat SA simply to be comfortable and not have panic attacks around people. To be able to enjoy the people around me and focus on valuing them instead of worrying about messing up or being perceived to be a joke.

I really do think I'm close to getting out of both depression and SA. I've been reading "Intimacy and Solitude" by Stephanie Dowrick and it's helping me to realize that I didn't (don't?) have a healthy sense of self. Here I was thinking it would be a book about introverts getting something out of romantic relationships and it ended up being this incredibly satisfying take on all human relationships. It's what I'd consider to be intellectual self-help.

The last couple nights I've been plagued by insomnia though - but it's the good type of insomnia where you can't sleep because your mind is racing with all sorts of positive thoughts. Hopefully it'll mellow out and just be a constant stream of either serenity or joy until actual tragedies happen. I'm so sick of being depressed, uncomfortable around people, and hopeless all the time and I never want to go back there again. I'm still a complete introvert and easily get overwhelmed - I love being with myself - but I'm becoming less anxious around other people.

I don't want any of you guys to be there either. If you love yourself when alone then when you are around others you might just forget about yourself long enough to focus on enjoying them. <3

·
Registered
128 Posts
Basically my reason is the same as your first.

There have been so many things I have missed out in my life because of my SA. I never went to any school dances or football games, I missed prom, I wasn't apart of any cliques, I had little to no friends in my classes, and people who tried to socialize or get close to me, I completely pushed away or gave the cold shoulder. Not because I'm not friendly, but because I'm scared of how they'll perceive me.

I've wasted my first year of College, throwing it away to SA, because I've refused to put myself out there or get to know anyone. Most of the time I'm passing the time alone on the internet in my dorm room. Or i'm in bed. There are no words to describe how much of an opportunity I just threw away because I figured it was easier just to keep to myself and not have to worry about the stress of forming relationships (it's such a stress for me).

I want to be able to compensate for lost time and just feel comfortable and "normal" around people for the first time in my life. I'd be so happy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I might take SA as a threat to my future prospects if my social environment were any different - as one might tell, some of the dignity and charm in society has been lost as times change.

SA allows me to overlook those and focus on developing skills and knowledge that will make a difference in life at a future date. Skills and knowledge that others will not have because the only thing they can talk about is their taboo fantasies and how bad the world is... yet not do anything to improve it.

Like LoneLioness I will never make friends easily save for people who have met certain criteria of responsible thought and intentions. Thus SA serves me as a defense mechanism. A very unique one at that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm going to defeat SA because I'm tired of my real personality being held hostage to this disorder. I'm tired of being worried about every single thing, from my walk right down to the way I'm smiling. My SA thoughts are bullies (makes sense since they came from bullies), and damn it, I'm going to stand up to them. SA hurts me over and over and over again; I'm tired of hurting, and I want to start living.

I'm going to defeat it because I want to start living in my own way, not in the way that everyone else dictates. Forget existing only on everyone else's terms, I'm my own person and I have the right to have my own terms. Defeating SA is the only way I feel I can utilize that right.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why do you want to defeat SA?
So that my life can be more for filling. As it sits relationships with people really lack what I would like them to be. I'd just like to be understood and welcomed and relaxed, rather then withholding feelings, and restricting myself and remaining present but distant. Care for people and understand them as myself.

I really want to make myself healed so i can perhaps create true relationships.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can refer to my post for the counterpoint. As well as #2. Quality of relationships.
I'm unsure if that was meant for me, but I'll reply anyway.

There's certainly wisdom in developing other skills that goes without question, they can all lead to better social skills and make it a bit easier for when you tackle the SA. However sooner or later you'll have to face it, usually sooner and it's very easy to put off doing it by making excuses of sticking to other things.

·
trying to heal
100 Posts
I want to defeat SA cause its exhausting, i want to feel good by doing stuff on my own, be independent, be able to help people and animals without thinking 'oh i have to do this and that, i can't do it' and feel bad about it and frustrated. I want to keep studying, be a vet doctor, for that i have to go to USA and live far from my home. I want to show off my real personality without any fear.

Everyone, we can defeat this, WE CAN! ;-)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Because it's slowly ruining my life. In fact, parts of my life have already been ruined because of SA. Every now and then I hear people saying "I'm enjoying life" or "I'm loving life", and for once I want to experience the same joy that they're going through. I only have one life, and I want to enjoy it instead of suffering from misery and pain.

·
Protector of the Den
15,263 Posts
*It prevents me from accomplishing many of my goals.
*It prevents me from finding love and friendships.
*It makes me feel weak. If I was a loner completely by choice, it would be different.
*It limits my options in life. I do things/avoid things based on my SA.
*It has ruined much of my past. It don't want SA to ruin anymore of my life.

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
Because it has ruined all enjoyment in life (not to mentioned my life itself!)

Because I want my revenge...:duel (I'll beat you SA!)

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I want to beat SA because I have missed out on so many oppertunites in my life- that I will never have a chance to get back. I have had no close friends since elementary school. I am now a junior in high school. I want fun and I want close relationships with people. I don't want to miss any more oppertunites in my life because I'm too afraid to take them.

These are supposed to be the best years of my life. I don't want to live my life in fear and regret. I don't want to waste another single second of my life. I want to be happy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
To be able to get the job or promotion I want b ased on who I really am and not what I appear. Also to be a role model for my son, I don't want him to grow up thinking I'm a loser because I don't speak up enough or the right way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a number of reasons for wanting to defeat SA...

1. Stop worrying about whether or not I'm being judged negatively.

2. Thinking I sound stupid or say idiotic things.

3. Voice my opinions in class.

4. Go out with friends.

5. Get an internship, so I can get a job.

6. Be able to network! (This is the hardest)

7. Hold and start conversations.

8. Get involved in the Ad Club.

9. Stop dreading phone calls or hearing the phone ring.

10. Basically stop the obsessions I've had since childhood.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.