Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They cost several thousands of dollars and from what I have read, they offer no features worth their cost. Are they only a status symbol?

This particular website on buying Rolex watches offers a laughable description.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5320875_buy-rolex-watch.html

"There are special times in life and in our lives there are special people. People who deserve the best and moments that become times we never forget. Rolex watches are created for people and times like these. A Rolex time piece is recognized by the world as the watch to own and every genuine Rolex watch is high quality, unique, and refined. Buy a Rolex watch for yourself because where you once struggled, you now succeed. :rollBuy a Rolex watch for another because of love or life, devotion or emotion, praise or reward. You need to know something about how to buy a Rolex watch before you shop for a Rolex."

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
It's jewelry. A $20 timex is more accurate than a $20k rolex. So yeah, I'd say it's for status more than timekeeping. The automatics are also a pain because you have to keep wearing them or they stop keeping time. But the marketing isn't much different than for a lot of overpriced cars, clothing, shoes, etc.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Probably because of the quality, but mainly because of the status. It's kind of like a car; every rich person can buy a cheap reliable car, but if you have the money then why not buy that nice Ferrari, hehe.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Status symbol. It says I can afford to spend $10,000 on a watch and you can't.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
I like the look of some of the simpler designs, but spending thousands on a wristwatch (for chrissakes!!) is not for me. And you have to rewind them every time you put them on. What's up with that? Its a status symbol/man jewelry thing.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I know a guy from an investment forum. He must be worth at least a few million, yet he wears a $30 Timex, which has one major advantage: he'll never be the victim of armed robbery because some criminal really wants his Timex. I suspect criminals might go after some fool who flaunts a several thousand dollar watch though.

It's purely a status symbol for those who feel the need to flaunt their wealth. And the guys you see wearing a Rolex likely don't have as much money as those wearing a Timex, since they waste their money on such flashy nonsense. Probably they wear an expensive custom-made suit and drive a luxury car to go with such a watch. My car is worth less than most Rolex watches.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
I know a guy from an investment forum. He must be worth at least a few million, yet he wears a $30 Timex, which has one major advantage: he'll never be the victim of armed robbery because some criminal really wants his Timex.
I can't tell the difference between a $30 Rolex-like Timex and a real Rolex from a distance.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I think it's a status thing.
I mean, you can get a watch just as good for 20-40 dollars and be completely happy with it and no one will try to beat you down for it.
I'd go with a normal watch any day.

·
Worst poster, hands down
303 Posts
Well, Rolex does seem to be a bit overrated. I think most of them look over the top and tacky. Something a lottery winner might buy. The law of diminishing returns applies to watches as well. More expensive watches usually have better quality than cheaper ones, but real gains start to level off at around a few grand. Above that you're paying for the brand, diamonds, or maybe a tourbillon, a ridiculously complicated construction or particularly virtuosic craftsmanship. As with any luxury item, features (and, in the case of watches, accuracy) don't really come into the equation. Why get a Bentley when you can put more stuff in a Volvo station wagon? Why get a Huntsman suit when a $100 suit from the mall gets the job done? I think the reason is pride of ownership. Of course there are people who buy expensive things just so they can show them off, but I'd say most aficionados buy this stuff simply because they have the knowledge to appreciate it.

And just to put Rolex into perspective, here's a Greubel motherf***ing Forsey that can be yours for around 690,000 dollars:

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
All the power to them, most have worked hard enough to earn the right to flaunt their wealth through their possessions. Hell If I had the money I would buy one, and a Ferrari :D

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
The same reason people pay so much for diamonds. A brilliant marketing campaign combined with relative control over the supply of them (except for those darned counterfeiters).

·
In orbit, always
824 Posts
I haven't worn a watch in ages. I'm so accustomed to clocks everywhere I turn, whether it is a bank sign, my computer or the car stereo. Because of my skinny arms, watches don't look good on me anyway.

·
SAS Nonmember
148 Posts
I always figured it was the male equivalent to designer handbags (which I don't really understand either), except that of course you're supposed to buy one watch and keep it for years and years instead of buying a new, trendier one every six months. I mean I can understand caring for quality and I'm sure a $300 watch is much nicer than a $30 watch, but beyond that it really just starts to be pointless.

Now, what I really wonder: does anyone ever buy the fake Rolexes I keep getting spam about? I'm starting to get more of that than I am the 'make certain body parts bigger' spam, it always makes me picture the stereotypical guy standing on a corner with a big trench coat and a bunch of stolen watches hanging inside that he tries to sell you when you get too close...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Tag. My brother bought it for me 13 years ago. I wear it everyday. It was his "you got a professor job" present to me. I am a little bummed because this last time I had a new battery put into it, I found out that next time I have to send it in to get the innards replaced. When the time comes, I'll have to decide what to do whether to get a new watch or for sentimental reasons, get another one.

·
PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,593 Posts
um so you always have something to give the muggers in case you don't have any cash on you. obviously.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Doesn't really matter how good of quality they are because a cheaper watch will do the same thing and be even more durable. My sports watches took a beating and functioned for years at a time. With everyone carrying phones today any watch is kind of a status symbol. Although I am one of those few you don't care about smart phones. I charge mine every couple months lately and take it nowhere. I'm thinking of getting a cheap, waterproof watch again because the vehicle clock can't be set so I have absolutely no way to tell time unless I'm at my computer without a full screen game open.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts