Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
happy :)
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know this use to bother me quite a bit , when ever i use to past people either whilst driving past in my car or walking pass them in the street, i would get people who smile at me, at first i would say to myself that they ain't actually smiling but are trying to mock me in some way that there smile isn't a smile but a grin instead even so it would really upset me,lately i haven't seen many smiles but today i was driving and a saw this Asian guy when i glanced over towards him he started to smile, like really smile, i didn't think too much but then later wondered what he was so happy about, was he smiling because i looked too serious while i was driving my car, did i look like an idiot behind the wheel,did i have no facial expression, did i look sad or miserable, did i look anxious or jittery, was it because my car is an older sports car what was the reason, was my hair a mess, i still can't figure it out, it was cold and just rained and he was wearing white shorts and a white t-shirt most other people i saw today wear in jackets long trousers or could it be that he was just happy that i looked over at him, at other times when i see people smiling I'm not looking at them but them at me, how or what ways can i convince myself that it isn't actually about me that these smiles are genuine smiles and not unpleasant grins as i usually think that they are

·
Registered
46 Posts
So the guy smile at you and it seems honest with no ill intention.

I think he smile because you look/stare at him. He thinks it's kind of awkward situation so he tries to live it up by smiling. Or maybe he is cheerful person, always smiles to everyone around him.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I always smile at people when I see them looking at me. I am just being polite, or at least communicating that I am not a threat, I guess. Also, I never forgot my Bible teacher telling the class - "If you see somebody without a smile, give them one of yours." I can relate to what you're saying, though. I saw a guy smiling at me one time in the mall, and I thought for sure there must be something wrong with me, and he was laughing at me. Turns out he just thought I was cute. So I guess there are all kinds of reasons that people smile, and you can't really make assumptions.

·
Mature Member
9 Posts
Well, I cant speak for anyone else, but if I smile at someone, its because I like their looks or what it is they happen to be doing. Sometimes its just because I feel like most things are going ok. Sometimes at cute little kids, even if now days, sadly, people think youre a perv if you do. But it is never to mock or disrespect anyone.

·
Registered
464 Posts
People are probably just being friendly and polite, and most probably think you are a friendly person too. I know that as part of my therapy I had to smile at strangers, and I still do it now... it brightens my day a little bit to just give someone a smile and recieve one back. I usually smile at people who look friendly, or who walk past me, and sometimes if something funny is happening I may have a laugh with somebody I don't even know.
I suggest next time, just smile back :) It's a great confidence boost and will make you feel good. You never know who's day you will make with just a smile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts