Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to understand my own fear of others, I'm looking to explore the reasons other people have this fear. I think I have a fairly good idea as to where the fear stems from, but there might be more I am unaware of.

I think, for me, it is due to fear of others seeing my weaknesses and grouping with others to exploit such weaknesses. It is not an entirely irrational belief, as it does happen. Groups of people seem to garner some sort of enjoyment by belittling others.

My mind works differently than most people's, trying to express my thoughts is rather difficult, as I tend to try to evaluate every thought before I put it in motion verbally. So, when people talk to me - I appear slow, and for some reason people gain tremendous pleasure from picking on me believing I am unintelligent. Which really shows how weak of a character they have.

It is funny, because they always seem insulted when I get better grades than they do, solve problems quicker, or show in some capacity that I do have the ability to think very well I just have difficulty expressing those thoughts.

The reason for this fear of public hate (which it is), is because it goes beyond just belittlement. People can (and have) made wild speculations which has resulted in physical abuse and has had me ousted in jobs.

I'm curious why it is that you are afraid of people?

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
I don't know their intentions.

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
Because I'm weird and they will judge me for it.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I'm not afraid of being judged as weird or weak; I'm afraid of being judged as boring or annoying/bothersome. I want people to be interested in me and I want them to like me, not want me gone. So if I get the impression people are bored or annoyed by me, it crushes me and I just want to disappear. I'd rather be lonely than bother anybody.

Unfortunately I get this feeling almost all the time...and it isn't entirely irrational, either. People really are frequently bored and annoyed by me. :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sometimes I can't put what I say into words and think of I was to say the wrong thing they would judge me.

·
Banned
622 Posts
I would say that I scare other people more than they scare me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts