Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idea.

I always hear people saying it IDEARR, whats so hard about saying IDEA?

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
From my experience, it's usually people with a southern accent who say it with an R at the end.

·
Banned
372 Posts
It's cause you guys are yanks. hehe.

you say everything weirdly like 'a-loo-minum'
no way, you're the ones who say it weird. al-uh-min-yum? Is there a y in that word i'm not seeing?:sus

actually that sounds kind of neat. fun to say. maybe i'll say it like that from now on. :boogie

·
Registered
137 Posts
My mom/dad are from Brooklyn and say it like that. Not because they CAN"T say it. It's accent/dialect.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
no way, you're the ones who say it weird. al-uh-min-yum? Is there a y in that word i'm not seeing?:sus

actually that sounds kind of neat. fun to say. maybe i'll say it like that from now on. :boogie
British English changed the spelling of aluminum to "aluminium" to better fit with the rest of the elements in the periodic table, which usually end in "ium." American English still uses the old, original spelling.

Also, if you wanna know something that I think is cool, one of the few non-rhotic American accents (we tend to drop out the r sound before a final consonant and not add it in like most of the South does, "lawr" for law and whatnot) is coastal Southern American, which is what I speak (I grew up in coastal SC). It's a holdout of how the Old South sounded, linguistically.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
You should here the people say "wash" here in Ohio. They always say "warsh" as in: " I am going to warsh my car".

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
Have you ever heard someone with a thick Australian accent pronounce the long O? I heard someone say "slow" the other day as "sluh-urr" as if with one syllable, and it was a bit amusing.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,403 Posts
I think the Brits pronounce idea with an 'r' as well. Once when watching "Dancing with Stars", I thought the judge's name Carrie-Ann Inaba was spelt with an 'r' because the announcer pronounced it "Inarbor." Kinda funny when you think about it. :p

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
It's cause you guys are yanks. hehe.

you say everything weirdly like 'a-loo-minum'
lol, I have no IDEAR how you guys say 'allew-minium.' I can't even force that out of my mouth.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Maybe they think it's a word? I don't know. It doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I dont know why but it really bugs me to hear someone say "idear" instead of idea or warsh instead of wash. Get that R out of there!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I don't think I have much of a southern accent. I live in Kentucky only a few miles from Cincinnati and have lived here my whole life.

If I pronounce words incorrectly, I don't think it is due to an accent, but rather my poor enunciation. I tend to mumble a lot and don't always pronounce my words very precisely. I should work on my enunciation, but I'm very lazy about it and don't have much motivation. Actually, my social anxiety is much the same way. I think I know how to overcome it, but I'm just not motivated and not persistent enough to do it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I can't say the word hill correctly. I don't hear a difference when people try to correct me though. Also have no idea how to say "pallet".

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I knew a girl in high school who said "own-Pin" instead of open. I never did get that.

And pallet is Pal-ett. Pretty much just like it looks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts