Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Keep Frozen
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i started thinking about why i have social anxiety and in the back of my mind i think its because i had an older sister that would always talk to others for me while i was growing up so i never developed that skill of talking to strangers. Another reason i think i have social anxiety is because i used to play a lot of video games growing up and my parents sheltered me from other kids. Growing up i had a couple friends at school but i would never interact with them outside of school and i was always playing video games by myself. I would also be scared of being rejected or made fun of growing up.

What do you guys think? im interested in finding out if anyone can relate or if some one has had different experiences or ideas about why they think they have social anxiety?

·
Ready to conquer
36 Posts
I think it is because I'm a ginger and heard that my entire youth. Now I can laugh with it because they don't say it in an offensive way anymore, but I think that's what triggered it in my case.

In your case, that can be also true. I know that, if a parent often says 'oh my son/daughter is so shy, blabla' that the kid actually turns shy, even though it isn't. Once you stop saying that all the time, and start saying that your child is very active for example, you automatically become a little more active. Brains are a crazy thing, and you don't always have to believe what it tells you ;)

·
Angst Abolition
440 Posts
Keep Frozen,

Your story is similar to mine. I had an older sister who A) would patronize me all the time. Literally..all the time. Like a voice in my head, she would point out all the stupid looking things I did

B) did a lot more talking than I did. Who other people talked to first.

It has a lot to do with my issues. Not all, but a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts