Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 488 Posts

·
Wingin' it.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up going to a Pentecostal church but I have this weird feeling that if I had grown Catholic or Lutheran for example I would still probably be religious. I don't know why but I just feel that I would. What were the reasons you guys became atheists?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Christianity never really made sense to me. Growing up, I would ask questions all the time like "Why would god torture people forever for not believing in him?" "Why did god punish all humanity just because Adam and Eve ate the fruit?" "Why did god have to resurrect Jesus, just to forgive humanity?" "Why did god order such horrible acts?" And many more questions, and I just never got a satisfactory answer. And whenever I would think of these questions myself, my fear of hell fire, prevented me from going very far. Worse yet, everyone around me was religious so I was never exposed to other ways of thinking. As I grew older, was exposed to other types of people and decided to let go of my fears of hell in order to seriously research I realized very quickly that I didn't believe any of this and that it made little sense.

1,934 Posts
No way, there are TONS of Catholics turned atheists. Which doesn't surprise me at all.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I grew up Presbyterian, which is a step away from Lutheranism and two steps away from Catholicism, and I'm no longer religious. I think it has to do with the individual and their experiences, not their particular sect.

·
Beneath the Surface
1,035 Posts
Reading about other religions made me stop believing in religion.

I started to ask myself what makes all the crazy stories in the Bible about people living 600+ years, parting seas, etc. more believable than the stories from Greek mythology, Hinduism, or any other religion?

That was the beginning of me letting go of that stuff

·
Cheap, fast, good-pick 2
174 Posts
My family is Presbyterian. I started to become less comfortable around the other kids in the children's classes that were held during the adult services.. separate. I started attending the adult services with my parents and would listen intently the whole time...They were different... they were more direct than the children's classes with what the religion was really about. It made things very confusing because I couldn't figure out why everyone seemed to be genuine believers in god but not santa or vampires. It always seemed SO important to my parents and teachers that we all believe... I always aimed to please. I figured the kid classes was where we all pretended to believe in god and we come out telling our parents we believe in god and eventually we attend adult services where we just listen to some guy talk and make sure our kids are believing in santa and god for some crazy reason.

Then it hit me attending them. All these people really believe this. It scared me to suddenly think every adult and peer I knew ACTUALLY believed in something I never felt a connection to. Now I don't think I ever fully bought into the idea of a divine creator, but was believing anyway for some time just from fear. How could so many people be wrong? How can so much money be spent on something if it's not actually true? It took several years to decide it actually was imaginary, it was a terrifying decision. God is scary. I thank myself I'm no longer scared :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
In classes to become a priest, people are actually TAUGHT that the Bible is just a book of symbolism. They just don't tell the congregation that because it doesn't make any money. Aesop's Fables isn't the #1 bestseller.

·
OMG
237 Posts
There were two forces at work that I recognize as being the reasons for my shift to concrete atheism:

1) I grew up mainly with my parents who were not religious. There was some exposure to church during kindergarten, and a little bit here and there in other circumstances. But pretty much there was a lack of religious upbringing from them.

2) When with my grandmother, she'd forced religion on me. Around age seven she forced me to memorize the Lord's Prayer, which since then I've only read a few other times for curiousity's sake, and the words are still ingrained in my head. That's how much she tried to force it on me. But, you know what, even though she'd forced it on me, the religion itself wasn't the culprit -- it was the environment. The church she attended held services in Russian, which cut me off from everybody, and since I was shy, I was already quite distant from everybody else. I mean, there were a lot of things going on that just kept me away from them.

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
No way, there are TONS of Catholics turned atheists. Which doesn't surprise me at all.
^That would be me. Grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school, wanted to be a nun when I was a kid (weirdo lol) started questioning when I was 11 or so, then got confirmed at 12 and was good until 16.

When I was 16, the Rational Response Squad came along on youtube with their "deny the Holy Spirit" challenge to win the copy of The God Who Wasn't There and so I just started watching all their videos on atheist logic and stuff, and it all made sense to me, especially since some of the videos covered concerns I had had even as a child. I came to the conclusion that God as defined by the world's religions does not exist and that I personally don't believe in the existence of any God(s).

·
Banned
341 Posts
Christianity never really made sense to me. Growing up, I would ask questions all the time like "Why would god torture people forever for not believing in him?" "Why did god punish all humanity just because Adam and Eve ate the fruit?" "Why did god have to resurrect Jesus, just to forgive humanity?" "Why did god order such horrible acts?" And many more questions, and I just never got a satisfactory answer. And whenever I would think of these questions myself, my fear of hell fire, prevented me from going very far. Worse yet, everyone around me was religious so I was never exposed to other ways of thinking. As I grew older, was exposed to other types of people and decided to let go of my fears of hell in order to seriously research I realized very quickly that I didn't believe any of this and that it made little sense.
there is no'hell'. the bible repeatedly says that 'those who were evil will be destroyed in sheol (english equivalent is hell or grave). john 3:16, for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believed in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
i don't believe God will torture those evildoers endless torments.in the first place,humans are created mortal, and mortals are subjected to death. the bible speaks of 'eternal punishment' but not 'eternal punishing' .these words have different meanings.
remember that only God has immortality..(1 Timothy 6:16);(1 Corinthians 15;53-54)

·
All Kinds of Awesome
1,418 Posts
In a nutshell: it doesn't make any sense. I know there are more articulate arguments, but that's pretty much it for me.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I used to be a devout christian. A few years ago, I really went through a time of searching myself and looking within and also thinking about how I view the world. Somehow, christianity, or any religion, just didn't seem to fit. I felt christianity was a burden that was actually making me less of a "good" person and actually caused me depression. Also, I began realize that I cannot turn a blind eye to the scientific facts (i.e. it's just not plausible to believe in an ark or parting the red sea and many of the other stories in the bible). Now, I just consider myself a humanitarian--I can be a good moral and ethical person without the fear of "hell" or "torment" for an eternity. I used to actually torture myself with the idea of a "hell" and it was not healthy.

On a side note, I used to be a Lutheran and attended every sunday for years throughout my youth and teen life. Every sunday was the same routine--we recited the exact creeds and prayers word-for-word, the sermons all sounded alike and the people seemed more worried about what clothing they had on the the content of the sermon. So, I am not so sure that you would have been compelled to stay in the church had you been a Lutheran or something similar.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
there is no'hell'. the bible repeatedly says that 'those who were evil will be destroyed in sheol (english equivalent is hell or grave). john 3:16, for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believed in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
i don't believe God will torture those evildoers endless torments.in the first place,humans are created mortal, and mortals are subjected to death. the bible speaks of 'eternal punishment' but not 'eternal punishing' .these words have different meanings.
remember that only God has immortality..(1 Timothy 6:16);(1 Corinthians 15;53-54)
In the new testament, "hell" is translated from other words, not just "sheol".

And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever. Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gaveup the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

"Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt."
Daniel 12:2
"But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him."
Luke 12:5

"But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur."

Revelation 19:20

But even if hell, was not preached in the Bible, it certainly wouldn't excuse some of god's other acts.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
virgin births and talking snakes that's all im going to say

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
NO SCIENTIFIC PROOF... hundreds of different religions and secs, etc, people act narcissistic and feel like they are "special" beyond other living organisms

·
beech plees
1,290 Posts
Theology class was the last straw for me, I'd been doubting my faith for a long time before that (former Catholic here). The blatant sexism in my culture's religion and its seeming obsession with sin and sexuality struck me as ridiculous. It could not answer any life questions for me, and my religion's God seemed an inherently cruel, sadistic and narcissistic diety whose existence made no sense.

My loathing for Filipino-style Catholicism, I admit, made it easy. The brainwashing and indoctrination Filipinos receive in school and everyday life is nothing short of disgusting, considering how it was used as a weapon of colonialization by the Spaniards. There exist Filipinos who are descended from illegitimate children born of rape from Spanish friars. 400+ years and many of the clergy haven't gotten much better at keeping it in their pants.

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
Former catholic here.

I pretty much just realized one day I no longer believed. I was once totally absorbed in the stories I was told and feared god, but I slowly realized the stories made no sense.
Even though I became atheist pretty young it took me several years to accept it and be open about it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I guess I always have been, never really "became" an atheist... I never bought into Christianity or any other religion. Then when I was 12 I figured out there was a word for it.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
Yeah, I didn't know people "became" atheists by choice.

1 - 20 of 488 Posts