Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than worry about what other students in the class think of me. It's college! Why would they care? I know other students in the lecture hall aren't looking at me but I'm paranoid. No matter where I sit I'm constantly anxious. What's wrong with me?

For those who have SA but don't get very anxious in a lecture hall, what's your thought-process? What's going through your head when you're in class?

Any advice for someone like me?

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
I go through the same thing. I really find it hard to focus on what the teachers are talking about when they're giving a lecture. What seems to help for me is, sit somewhere where to know that not many people will be able to see you. Like in the back corner. If you sit somewhere else, then you'll have the feeling that everyone's eyes are on you.

Well, I do anyways. It works for me!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sit at the back? Are you actively making notes or trying to summarise what he/she is saying? Try focussing that you need this information in order to do exams, or coursework. I struggled with concentration but more that it was boring and my thoughts went round and round in my head.
Conversely if you sat right in front of them you might concentrate as can't see the other people and the prof can see you which pressures me to look like I'm listening-as worried about their reaction!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the same problem. The whole class I just focus on what others think of me,what I'm doing wrong, or ruminate about things I messed up before. The only solution I can think of is exposure. Maybe practice being in places where alot of people are watching you and make an effort to do that like three times a week.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I'm about to be in college and I have the fear that I'll be too consumed in the fears I already have to focus on what I'm being taught. I created for myself, though, an alter-ego that I plan to become every time I'm on campus! She's not completely different from me. She's a part of me that I just don't think about using, you know? I forget that I'm strong. I forget that I'm confident. I forget that I'm powerful. When I'm comfortable, I am those things. I want to remember that. I'm gonna try it out over the summer in other situations to see how much it helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I actually love lecture classes because all I have to focus on is what the prof is saying. I sit usually in a corner, as far away from the prof as I can get. Weirdly I don't even think about the other students, it's the prof I don't want looking at me. As long as nobody talks to me before class (I always have a book or my phone as a buffer), I just pretend to be extremely focused and concentrated on the lecture and take a load of notes.

This is probably no help, but just try to ignore everybody else in the room. (Easier said than done I know). But I finally decided I don't care if people are looking (or whatever) at me in classes because I'm there to learn, and they don't matter or have any bearing on my life. The prof on the other hand...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
i got classes coming up in the fall and luck for me ill be turning 19 which is the legal drinking age in ontario. Gonna have to drink before school every day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts