Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
on the computer on a saturday night...

catch 22..too uncomfortable to go out (not that theres anywhere to go), but too down to stay alone...the latter always seems to win that

have no advice except you'll probably never find someone that fully understands it if they dont have it. guess you just have to hope they arent as douchey about it like the guy you're talking about

·
Waiting on Jason
662 Posts
I met my current lover boy on this forum! I posted a link a while back about needing someone to practice flirting with. That was three or so years ago and we've been talking ever since. At the moment he lives in Nebraska, but he's trying to relocate to Texas where I am. So SA guys, don't be afraid to message a girl if you're interested, you never know what may happen. :)
It is possible to find socially awkward guys, I did. We have our own little community here. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
To be fair, I'm sure there are extroverts who aren't a**holes. That guy sounds like he was just an over-confident jerk.

But yeah, I often think it'd be nice to find someone with SA or who is just shy in general, but as already mentioned... they're probably hiding out like the rest of us.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It might be even more awkward if two awkward people go on a date. This would be made even worse if the only thing or one of the few things you guys have in common is being socially awkward. I don't know.
I used to think this but from experience it is not most the time. If the day was being watched on TV it may seem quiet and sort of awkward. But for myself at least other quiet or awkward people bring me a sense of comfort. It may still be quiet and the tone of voice and situation may be awkward but it doesn't bother because there is a mutual understandance. You can almost point it out and laugh about it and strike up a conversation that way.

·
Waiting on Jason
662 Posts
I used to think this but from experience it is not most the time. If the day was being watched on TV it may seem quiet and sort of awkward. But for myself at least other quiet or awkward people bring me a sense of comfort. It may still be quiet and the tone of voice and situation may be awkward but it doesn't bother because there is a mutual understandance. You can almost point it out and laugh about it and strike up a conversation that way.
I agree, and relate. This has definitely been my experience.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The quiet sa boys are most probably hiding away! That's the problem. Where are the nice sa girls? I used to go out drinking with workmates on rare occasions but all the girls in them places are not my type.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You need to keep looking - they're out there, though if you should keep in mind, you're either going to need to take initiative in any potential relationship, and/or help him along. Expecting a shy person to ask YOU out and take the initiative all of the time is not really fair or realistic.

I've been seeing someone who was completely insensitive about my condition.
He is extroverted and flippant, and has tons of friends. The opposite of me.
Things were good for a few weeks, but after a few fights where he essentially called me freakish and oversensative, we are no longer speaking.
It's a bit of a bummer as I now have no one to hang out with.

I just want someone who understands. Who is content to spend a weekend with me and not out drinking with sleazy people.
Where are all the nice, quiet SA boys? :(
I'd like to meet you.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Why can't I just date someone as socially awkward as me?
I'd love to find someone like that. But yeah, we're all hiding in our homes in front of our computers. A lot of good that is!

I don't know how to spot SA types in the real world. Moreso, I don't know how to win them over because I'm the type who needs some obvious hints before I'll make that step. But reading the interest level of a shy/SA girl is... well, not especially easy.

I met my current lover boy on this forum! I posted a link a while back about needing someone to practice flirting with. That was three or so years ago and we've been talking ever since. At the moment he lives in Nebraska, but he's trying to relocate to Texas where I am. So SA guys, don't be afraid to message a girl if you're interested, you never know what may happen. :)
It is possible to find socially awkward guys, I did. We have our own little community here. :)
I think that's great for you :)

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
I've been seeing someone who was completely insensitive about my condition.
He is extroverted and flippant, and has tons of friends. The opposite of me.
Things were good for a few weeks, but after a few fights where he essentially called me freakish and oversensative, we are no longer speaking.
It's a bit of a bummer as I now have no one to hang out with.

I just want someone who understands. Who is content to spend a weekend with me and not out drinking with sleazy people.
Where are all the nice, quiet SA boys? :(
I'd like to meet you.
Somehow it seems that most nice/quiet SA girls are either in the US or Canada. Well at least the ones who appear on this forum anyhow. Half my luck.

·
I am, etc.
1,381 Posts
It's tough for two totally different lifestyles to merge. It's hard for me because I usually meet people in somewhat social situations, and I do okay with small talk, so people assume I'm normal and go out all the time and have a lot of friends. But I live this double-life of sorts, and I know only a certain type of girl would understand.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
It's tough for two totally different lifestyles to merge. It's hard for me because I usually meet people in somewhat social situations, and I do okay with small talk, so people assume I'm normal and go out all the time and have a lot of friends. But I live this double-life of sorts, and I know only a certain type of girl would understand.
where is a certain type of girl ? I would like to meet her ? I would like to show her... my star wars collection :D

hm.. maybe i should make a song about this....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.