Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are questions that are similar and that people ask me. What should be the response? Question: Why are you so quiet? My answer: That's just how I am. Please answer each question how you would answer in real life.

1. Why Don't you Talk?

2. Why are you so Quiet?

3. Do you ever talk?

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
1. Why Don't you Talk?

I do, you just haven't been listening.

2. Why are you so Quiet?

Why are you so loud?

3. Do you ever talk?

Yeah, but not to you.

You can probably tell I've had my fill of these type questions before.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
1. Why Don't you Talk?
/me: blushes and runs away

2. Why are you so Quiet?

3. Do you ever talk?

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
In time, I've gotten much better at responding to these questions. I try not to let peoples silly questions get to me, though it is hard!

1. Why Don't you Talk?
I do speak, but I haven't felt the need to say anything!
(that, or if you want to be comical: "I try, but you seem to talk over me and everyone else!")

2. Why are you so Quiet?
Well, I guess you could say I'm more of an observer, thank you very much.

3. Do you ever talk?
Yes, when I feel I have something to add to a conversation, and when I'm around my family.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that these common questions get incredibly annoying after awhile, but I've learned to have a little fun with them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
lol yeah weve all been there, i had this guy ask me this at work the other day and i responded with why do you talk. he said because i want to, and i just said exactly.

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
1. Why Don't you Talk?

- I have a lung condition.

2. Why are you so Quiet?

- I have a lung condition.

3. Do you ever talk?

- Yes, but I have a lung condition. (No, not really)

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
1. Why Don't you Talk?

I choose when I talk.

2. Why are you so Quiet?

I don't need to talk every second of every minute of every hour of every day.

3. Do you ever talk?

When a verbal retort or statement is needed, in my opinion, I will give it. So, yes.

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
1. .....
2. ...........
3. ....................

Those are my most frequent responses. I know that not everyone realises how annoying they're being when they ask these things, but I usually like to kill people who do. It helps them learn.
Nice strategy. That way they will be sure to learn it the first time and won't be likely to forget what they have been taught.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Why is that important to you?
Why are you so nosy?
Am I making you feel uncomfortable?

·
APRA
257 Posts
1. .....
2. ...........
3. ....................

Those are my most frequent responses. I know that not everyone realises how annoying they're being when they ask these things, but I usually like to kill people who do. It helps them learn.
are u a ninja for hire!? i usually respond to all 3 with i dont have anything to say :| i just make them think im stupid and i know that is so messed up. So yeah i feel horrible when asked those questions. im afraid of offending people and having them dislike me. Hrm i will try feinting a medical ailment thats a good suggestion zeddicus :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
1. Why Don't you Talk? I am talking what do you want me to talk about?

2. Why are you so Quiet? I'm just a quiet person...do you have a problem with that?!

3. Do you ever talk? Yes i do why?

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I have this, and it makes it ackward what to say back so i just go all hot coz someone has noticed i don't say much/anything and give a nervous laugh or smile. But next time someone says that i'll say It's just the way i am

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can't provide an answer because I don't remember them (I definitely remember being asked, which means I probably didn't say anything or just looked like this > :um until s/he got uncomfortable and changed topics/left/was interrupted by somebody).

I've been asked a good many times in elementary school, and, when I talked and felt good about myself, people would frequently knock me down by saying, "O.M.G. :eek: I've never heard you speak before." > That's just not possible. But we were kids and we said a lot of things that we know now to be insensitive or just downright stupid.

Anyways, I hate it, too - it's annoying and hurtful (and just what do they expect in answer, anyways? ) - but I think we also need to acknowledge that it's uncomfortable for "normies" to be around people with SAD. I know some people are just mean but I'm guessing (or rather hoping) that they also feel uncomfortable and a little stupid once they've asked that question.

It's always discomforting when you're confronted with something you don't quite understand or that's different from you, whether it be SAD, mental retardation, severe burns or gothic lolitas or whatever. I mean, I'd certainly have to feel pretty uncomfortable to ask something like that. (sorry, I'm really terrible with words and half the times, I don't even know what I'm trying to say myself...)

·
Registered
130 Posts
1.2. I'm just awared of my shallowness (if it was a rude question). Well, I'm too shallow and boring (if it wasn't that rude).
3. Rarely. I'm making you a big honour right now.
I try to sound non sarcastic and truly kind, otherwise i'm the bad guy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used to get "Why are you so shady all the time?"

my response? "What does that even mean?" haha.

I really don't have answers for 3 questions asked in this thread though... because anytime someone mentions it I just get even quieter, NOT by choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts