Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Why are there so few people here over the age of 30?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most here seem to be about 15 to 25 and any new members over 30 seem to disappear quickly. Why do you think that is?

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
there are probably a lot of reasons.

i remember scouring the internet for any kind of site for introverted people back in 1999, and finding this little site called "the introvert's hideaway". you could email the guy and he'd add your profile to a page. in HTML. i got as far as looking through the profiles and wanting to contact some, but being too chicken. and i never sent one in either.

and i'd search personals for keywords like introvert, depressed, lonely, and get things like "please no introverted guys".

it was all pretty discouraging. i only came across these sa sites earlier this year, by accident. i had kind of given up on the whole thing. and it turns out they've been around since 2002? i was really missing out.

and yeah, the number of younger users might scare some away. or they feel bad that they still have it at their age. i feel that way sometimes.

and it takes a certain amount of faith to keep posting when you're new, because people might not respond to you very much, and you can take it as rejection. i kind of did.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I don't know if it's that they are uncomfortable, but it might be more difficult to connect to people on the forum when they are just in a different stage of life than you. Reading frustrations about high school/moving out and stuff might not really help +30 people feel less alone. If you don't bond with a couple members or start seeing familiar names, the motivation to keep coming back might fade.

Then again I'm 21, so who am I to talk. Don't mind me. I'm naive and young.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I don't buy the argument that those over 30 aren't comfortable with technology. The internet isn't exactly cutting edge by 2009 standards. That argument would work to explain why many folks over 70 aren't online, but doesn't explain the lack of the 30-50 group. I frequent an investment forum and 40 seems a typical age around there, so apparently it is possible to get online even past the age of 30. Even I manage to get online and I'm not at all computer savvy (unless compared to the previously mentioned 70+ crowd that's still busy trying to get digital clocks to stop flashing 12:00).

I can't come up with any truly satisfying explanation for the average age around here being so young. It goes along with other mysteries of SAS such as why do members on average lean so far to the economic left, why are the majority atheist/agnostic in a largely x-tian nation, and how can there be such a large percentage of Canadian members when they don't even come close to making up that percentage of the English-speaking world.:stu

Busy with kids & jobs is certainly possible, but then aren't the young ones busy with high school or college and part time jobs? All possible answers, but none really explain it to my satisfaction. And then there is the fact that if you have SA in severe form at least you can pretty much forget about having things like a partner/spouse, friends, and in some cases even a job to keep you busy.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Nanny state. :lol

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
I don't buy the argument that those over 30 aren't comfortable with technology. The internet isn't exactly cutting edge by 2009 standards. That argument would work to explain why many folks over 70 aren't online, but doesn't explain the lack of the 30-50 group. I frequent an investment forum and 40 seems a typical age around there, so apparently it is possible to get online even past the age of 30. Even I manage to get online and I'm not at all computer savvy (unless compared to the previously mentioned 70+ crowd that's still busy trying to get digital clocks to stop flashing 12:00).
Agreed

My dad is in his 60's and he loves to go online. In fact we share a computer, so we argue over it sometimes :D Some of the 50+ crowd where I work mention going online in their free time. My mom isn't very computer savy now, but she went to college for programming when she was younger. Computer use is required in most work places nowadays(even if it is just for time clocks). Also most people now use digital cameras, etc. Lower range of 30+ definitely shouldn't be that out of date(if out of date at all) when it comes to computers.

I think many people grow out of SAD or give up. If they give up they might choose not to come here anymore. Why focus on sa for the rest of your life if you don't think you're going to cure it? It probably gets boring discussing sa after awhile. I really hope I'm wrong about people giving up :(

·
Registered
210 Posts
Perhaps this forum attracts more of a school age because they need to ask for advice? Older people might come and go. I voted "busy with home, kids,ect".

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I think many people grow out of SAD or give up. If they give up they might choose not to come here anymore. Why focus on sa for the rest of your life if you don't think you're going to cure it? It probably gets boring discussing sa after awhile. I really hope I'm wrong about people giving up :(
That would be my best guess as well, giving up on the part of the older set. If you're 30 or 40 and still have SA it's pretty hard to have optimism that it's going away without being delusional. I still come here though even though I have absolutely no expectation of ever really getting better. I guess I just like to spread my misery or something.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I do not know whether they are actually more likely to disappear or it just seems that way because they are a minority anyway. Here are some possible explanations for them being a minority in the first place:

Perhaps they see the same topics being repeated and have little to gain from them.

Perhaps they feel they cannot really belong when the majority are teenagers and young adults.

and it takes a certain amount of faith to keep posting when you're new, because people might not respond to you very much, and you can take it as rejection. i kind of did.
Or perhaps they have reached their 30s (or older) having tried to interact for several years, perhaps on several sites, and realised it's just not working.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I chose option 2. Older people are more likely to have other concerns, other people to look after and may well have either eliminated their SA or come to terms with it.

LostPancake said:
and i'd search personals for keywords like introvert, depressed, lonely, and get things like "please no introverted guys"
Awwww :lol

...how can there be such a large percentage of Canadian members when they don't even come close to making up that percentage of the English-speaking world.:stu
Perhaps some of them are really Americans but are too shy to say!

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
When you turn 30 anxiety magically disappears.

Unless you've been a bad boy, then the anxiety fairy kicks you in the groin and steals your wallet instead of whisking away your troubles.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
im going to go with they have improved their lives better and no longer feel connected with people here

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
Because by that age they've either given up hope or they have finally found some happiness and don't need this forum anymore.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I seem to be near the top of the age range for fairly regular posters, at nearly 52. I don't think the technology itself necessarily turns older people off, but maybe the style of communication does in some cases. It can for me, although I don't blame the younger posters for, well, being young.

I'm old enough that I once actually wrote letters to people and put them in a 3 dimensional mail box. I don't anymore, but I developed in an era when that was ordinary. Things here can seem so abbreviated. Someone vents and responses like "sucks, doesn't it?" or "sorry dude" are pretty common. Actually, those kinds of responses are pretty effective, brevity being the soul of wit and all. But they seem like they haven't been thought out or required much effort.

I say "seem" because it's likely my perception that's the problem. I do suspect many of the younger venters would rather see 30 one line responses than 6 or 8 more developed ones.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
Probably busy with other things. If you're at work, you're not going to want to sign in or check this site because someone there will know. I would also guess that older people with SA might be workaholics (since they prob don't have a social life). And the ones who are lucky enough to have a family... balancing that with work is very time consuming.

Speaking for myself (thirty-something), I never bothered to check for social anxiety on the web when I worked. It actually never occurred to me even though I knew what it was. It wasn't until I decided to take some time off from working that I found out about these sites and forums.

I don't think it's being uncomfortable with technology. Almost everyone I know around my age is very comfortable with computers. And I remember when I was in college, computers were very accessible to students even if you didn't own one. I didn't own a computer in college, but I used them on a daily basis in labs, etc. and I think this was common.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Maybe their anxiety lessens when they get older (older people do seem a lot calmer sometimes than younger people) and they don't feel like they need this website as much. They could also (since they have more well paying jobs) be in therapy for the problem and use the therapy instead of an online website. Older people also do use technology a lot less than younger people.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Between the partying, sleeping and hip replacements there's little time for anything else. :kma

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I think it's a combination of many things.

Working full-time definitely doesn't allow much free time. I only had 2-3 hours to myself each night when I worked.

They probably struggle to fit in. I doubt a 50 year old guys is going to have much input to offer on the latest "Pickup Artist technique" discussion thread.

I also don't think older people are as comfortable with technology. I mean, how many older people are on Myspace/Facebook/Twitter... Not many at all. Older people seem really out of the loop when it comes to Internet technology. They know how to use email, and do basic web browsing, but not much else.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Older people seem really out of the loop when it comes to Internet technology. They know how to use email, and do basic web browsing, but not much else.
Using SAS is nothing more than basic web browsing though. When it comes to computer knowledge I would guess that I know less about computers than probably 95% of SAS members, yet I still have one of the highest post counts around here despite my relative lack of computer literacy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts