Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used many antidepressasnts and benzos but somehow they do not affect me.
2 months ago my doctor prescribed a new benzo to me, klonopin, 0,25 mg 1 pill when needed, i took 3 pills, could take the whole bottle and would not feel any difference.:mum
When i used clonazepam for the first time i expected a super-potent effect but it is similar to flour.:eek:

Are these drugs naturally weak? Why do a lot of people glorify them?

·
Awake
39 Posts
Medications do not fix the problem. Ever. They address the symptoms, not the cause. You put a bandaid over a cut, the cut doesn't disappear. There are no magic pills. To address it properly, we have to change the way we think, which is difficult and confronting, but well worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Did u try xanax, u should feel something from that. If u have, well, there is probably something that will help, but it could take more time to find it..
What does your doctor think? There is always lyrica too, its quite popular, but not for everyone.
I thought all ssri's where crazy toxic horror pills, then I tried my last try, lexapro, got zero side effects and some help with my depression.. so there probably IS something out there for u, but who knows what.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Medications do not fix the problem. Ever. They address the symptoms, not the cause. You put a bandaid over a cut, the cut doesn't disappear. There are no magic pills. To address it properly, we have to change the way we think, which is difficult and confronting, but well worth the effort.
I hear this kind of thing quite a bit, most of it trickling down from people who write books or publish programs for cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) or variations thereof.

Response and remission rates for CBT are more lukewarm than we're led to believe. ABout 50% of people undergoing CBT ("change your thinking" type therapy) will have a significant benefit. (I have seen study results ranging from 45%-60% and everything in between. Metanalysis suggests about 50% though.) Fewer, only ~25-30%, will score in a non-pathological range (i.e. be "cured"). Response rates and degree of improvement for people with a mood disorder such as depression, are poor.

So there is no magic pill and no magic thought. Just some pills that might work and some thoughts to change, and a hope for a better life.

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts
Dopamine releaser + NMDA antagonist = outgoing, charming and gregarious. For me at least. Whilst feeling like this things I'd learned came into focus. I haven't had meds for a while and I still have SA but I can kind of turn it off when I really need to. Would love to work with meds again but the RC's I used have been banned now. Pfft!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you guys say there are no magic pills, did you try opiates too? Because opiates will probably be my next step. One guy in other forum said antidepressants and benzos were not working for him and 'vicodin' (analgesic) was his miracle drug.

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/vicodin-the-miracle-drug-16166/

I Open an Account on that forum just to follow him and when i saw what he wrote i felt empathy, he looks very experienced.

·
Stoicism / ACT / CFT
11,901 Posts
I hear this kind of thing quite a bit, most of it trickling down from people who write books or publish programs for cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) or variations thereof.

Response and remission rates for CBT are more lukewarm than we're led to believe. ABout 50% of people undergoing CBT ("change your thinking" type therapy) will have a significant benefit. (I have seen study results ranging from 45%-60% and everything in between. Metanalysis suggests about 50% though.) Fewer, only ~25-30%, will score in a non-pathological range (i.e. be "cured"). Response rates and degree of improvement for people with a mood disorder such as depression, are poor.

So there is no magic pill and no magic thought. Just some pills that might work and some thoughts to change, and a hope for a better life.
Excellent post. Absolutely spot on.

·
Awake
39 Posts
CBT might not always work, but drugs on their own certainly won't.

Citations needed. I've seen studies too.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah, benzos do little for me. 2 mg of Xanax seems to help a bit, but it was Nardil that worked really well for me. I had to get off of it because my supply dried up and everything went to pure sht. I fortunately will be getting my hands on more of it soon and hopefully will get sorted.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
CBT might not always work, but drugs on their own certainly won't.

Citations needed. I've seen studies too.
Sorry for numbers "off the top of my head". You are right to be skeptical of unreferenced, internet forum blurbs. Here are a few supporting articles. I know there's more out there. I was not thorough, so I welcome corrections and additions by people with more energy to spare on the topic.

[Free full text, woo!]

Am J Psychiatry. 2013 Jul 1;170(7):759-67.
Psychodynamic therapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy in social anxiety disorder: a multicenter randomized controlled trial.
Leichsenring F, Salzer S, Beutel ME, Herpertz S, Hiller W, Hoyer J, Huesing J, Joraschky P, Nolting B, Poehlmann K, Ritter V, Stangier U, Strauss B, Stuhldreher N, Tefikow S, Teismann T, Willutzki U, Wiltink J, Leibing E.
10.1176/appi.ajp.2013.12081125. Erratum in: Am J Psychiatry. 2013 Nov 1;170(11):1373.
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1688271

Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2004 Oct;61(10):1005-13.
Fluoxetine, comprehensive cognitive behavioral therapy, and placebo in generalized social phobia.
Davidson JR1, Foa EB, Huppert JD, Keefe FJ, Franklin ME, Compton JS, Zhao N, Connor KM, Lynch TR, Gadde KM.
http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=482074

World Psychiatry. 2013 Jun;12(2):137-48. doi: 10.1002/wps.20038.
The efficacy of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy in treating depressive and anxiety disorders: a meta-analysis of direct comparisons.
Cuijpers P1, Sijbrandij M, Koole SL, Andersson G, Beekman AT, Reynolds CF 3rd.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3683266/

Anyway I don't intend to say that CBT or cognitive therapy activity is unhelpful, or ineffective, or that it's not worth doing. I think it's good stuff. Just that it would be a mistake to wholehandedly ascribe everyone's anxiety issues and treatment needs just to thought processes, and minimize the importance of medication.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
CBT and all that other bullsht WILL NOT DO A DAMN THING FOR YOU. If you think that CBT is going to change you for than a moment, you are mistaken.

·
Fighting demons!
767 Posts
Too bad kid, zoloft has done wonders for my anxiety and depression. I guess am lucky and genetically powerful muahahaha. Or I have naturally low maoa levels, who cares muahaha

Muaaaahahahahahamuahahahahamuahahahaha.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Throw them in the bin mate!

Stop drinking Alcohol if you do
Exercise!

Take Omega 3 everyday
Take Magnesium and Vitamin B complex
5-HTP everyday
Taurine

Eat clean no processed foods and get decent sleep

You will notice the difference if you feel skeptical research into those supplements and there benefits there is alot of information out there and testimonials I can vouch aswell I used to be anxious / depressed as hell.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Throw them in the bin mate!

Stop drinking Alcohol if you do
Exercise!

Take Omega 3 everyday
Take Magnesium and Vitamin B complex
5-HTP everyday
Taurine

Eat clean no processed foods and get decent sleep

You will notice the difference if you feel skeptical research into those supplements and there benefits there is alot of information out there and testimonials I can vouch aswell I used to be anxious / depressed as hell.
Again, not a cure-all for everyone. A healthy and balanced diet makes me feel physiologically healthier, I've tried numerous supplements too - though psychologically, an SNRI keeps me sane. The healthy diet and vitamins in combination with my tablets helps keep me a bit more chipper because I feel less fatigued, less meh, less headachey and less agitated from the side effect profile. Exercise also helps, as does counselling - but there's some things meds can just be really good for if you find the right ones that work in the right way. For me, that's deep despairing melancholy, anxiety and a feeling as if something really isn't right.

Also worth noting: brainwave entrainment. It's basically humming sounds that aim to affect the alpha/beta/theta/etc. - it sounds like pish-posh but those humming sounds can be really relaxing and help me get to sleep, meditate and whatnot. Neuro-programmer 3 is worth a go if people are interested.

I'm going back to counselling soon myself, I think it's great for healthy thinking.

·
Fighting demons!
767 Posts
Again, not a cure-all for everyone. A healthy and balanced diet makes me feel physiologically healthier, I've tried numerous supplements too - though psychologically, an SNRI keeps me sane. The healthy diet and vitamins in combination with my tablets helps keep me a bit more chipper because I feel less fatigued, less meh, less headachey and less agitated from the side effect profile. Exercise also helps, as does counselling - but there's some things meds can just be really good for if you find the right ones that work in the right way. For me, that's deep despairing melancholy, anxiety and a feeling as if something really isn't right.

Also worth noting: brainwave entrainment. It's basically humming sounds that aim to affect the alpha/beta/theta/etc. - it sounds like pish-posh but those humming sounds can be really relaxing and help me get to sleep, meditate and whatnot. Neuro-programmer 3 is worth a go if people are interested.

I'm going back to counselling soon myself, I think it's great for healthy thinking.
Don't underestimate the power of vitamin b and 5 htp.

God bless vitamin b and 5 htp. Amen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts