Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's so intriguing. I know it's frightening for the unfortunate who have this varying illness, but schizophrenia is fascinating.

For example, January Schofield: http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-schizophrenia29-2009jun29,0,4834892.story?page=1 What an interesting child.

Artists inflicted with schizophrenia have also produced some mesmerizing works.

I am completely fascinated by this illness. I am sorry for those who have to survive with this condition, but many of them are highly intelligent and so damn interesting.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wow, I also found her to be interesting, especially with the phantoms, and how they are numbered. Very intriguing. It must be so tough on the parents, I can't imagine.

The part at the end of the last article I found a little eerie though, 400 doesn't sound so friendly at all :blank

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
This is so, so sad. A child so young and with such an illness. What a poor, bright little girl. And I sympathize with her parents; it seems like nobody knows how to help their family.

On a completely unrelated note: what kind of parents give their kid the name "January?" :roll

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Wow, I also found her to be interesting, especially with the phantoms, and how they are numbered. Very intriguing. It must be so tough on the parents, I can't imagine.

The part at the end of the last article I found a little eerie though, 400 doesn't sound so friendly at all :blank
Yeah, it's interesting how she chose numbers instead of names to name her friends.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have an aunt and a recently deceased uncle who both have/had Schizophrenia. It's a terrible disease and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. At his best my uncle was able to hold a decent conversation but at his worst you wouldn't want to be around him. He often kept a notebook and pen around because he loved to jot random things down. I've read some of the things he's wrote down and it's fascinating. There's nothing good about Schizophrenia though.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
This is so, so sad. A child so young and with such an illness. What a poor, bright little girl. And I sympathize with her parents; it seems like nobody knows how to help their family.

On a completely unrelated note: what kind of parents give their kid the name "January?" :roll
I know a lady named September. :b

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
My nanna has paranoid schizophrenia, as interesting as I find it, I really wish she didn't have it. She won't let us get help for her. :(

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
a second or third cousin of mine has schizophrenia - i believe it's a combination of both the "positive" and "negative" symptoms. he is also an incredible artist who would go really far if he was able to get his art in galleries. but he can't leave his house because he can hear even the neighbours speak about him (and as for his art, the medication is sometimes too strong and greatly affects those abilities :/). he is very close to his brother but he wasn't able to even attend his wedding because it would be so hard for him. i haven't seen him since i was young but just seeing his mother talk about it even though i didn't understand the language (greek - my mum would translate a few things) i could still see how much pain it causes her and it's heart wrenching.

i've met other schizophrenics, though the severity of their illness varied (the diagnosis is so broad anyway. it'd be interesting to see how its altered in the DCM-V). i don't remember any of them having special talents like he did, just "average" in terms of intelligence/talents/artistic abilities. from just knowing them and not being aware of their illness i wouldn't even guess they had it. but its like that with all mental illnessses anyway.

man, i sometimes hate even using the term schizophrenics as if that is the word to use to define them as a person. a friend i used to know who has it says how much he hates how he has to use that term to apply to him and how he felt like even just that label was difficult to deal with.

so much stigma out there about this illness :/

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
There was a documentary on tv here awhile ago about this, in particular one of the world leading researchers on the matter who moved from America to Australia to continue her research here. What made it so intriguing was that her brother had a terrible case of Schizophrenia which he eventually died from as a result (or complications related to it). This pushed her even harder and it was really a fascinating story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts