Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Whole Foods for the first time. I tried some samples of cheeses which were great. The food there looked really good. I'm kind of picky but there were still things there I know I liked.

Does anyone buy from there? Has eating organic food improved your health or the way you feel? I'd like to start eating some foods from there when I get my supplemental money-It's expensive there but I really want to eat better.

·
:/
957 Posts
Organic Food

I like some of the food at Whole Foods too mainly the prepared food. I don't shop there regularly though.

I think this is a good article on organic food:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/weekinreview/22bittman.html?_r=1

To summarize its point is that it's more important to just eat more vegetables, organic or not, and eat less meat and sweets than to be concerned about whether it is organic or not.

From the article: 'The government's organic program, says Joan Shaffer, a spokeswoman for the Agriculture Department, "is a marketing program that sets standards for what can be certified as organic. Neither the enabling legislation nor the regulations address food safety or nutrition." '

If you think shopping for food at Whole Foods would help you eat more vegetables/fruit and you can afford it, I'd say do it.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
If I'm near a Whole Foods and I'm hungry, I'll usually stop in and buy something expensive but delicious. I love their cheese selection.

I tend to buy more local fruits and vegetables as opposed to organic fruits and vegetables. A lot of the organic produce that I see in the stores comes from California, which means it has taken a whole lot of fossil fuels to get it here.

I'm not knocking organic at all. I work at a health food store and I do eat organic sometimes, but it's usually when the food has gone past-date and I get it for free. Those due dates are just guidlines =)

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Yes, I shop there for health products sometimes, and get ideas for making meals at the buffet, and a few rare times have eaten there with others, but I don't eat organic food. I don't eat food with heavy pesticides on it either though if I am on a cleansing diet like a vegan or raw vegan diet. Apples are grapes have heavy amounts, and if I am cleansing then it makes my skin crawl to ingest chemicals with it. I will eat other fruits then if I am doing that for a few days rather than buy organic. Organic is just too expensive but I have bought some tropical fruits on a rare occasion as a treat. I think the organic craze is really overdone unless someone is a almost all raw vegan because the body gets so sensitive to chemicals that its best to avoid them at that point.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I've been there a couple of times, but it's too expensive to shop there all the time. Their food is delicious, and the ambiance is relaxing.

I'm not a scientist, but I sometimes wonder if the supposed hormones in the food that I eat from Kroger will harm me in the long run. Eating at Whole Foods may be better for your health, but I don't really know.

Why don't you try eating there for a month and see how you feel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts