Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By some weirdness girl agreed to go see a movie with me (its going to be a epic fail but that’s a different topic). We agreed go as friends there for its not a date I guess, so we both pay for our own tickets and food right? I don’t mind paying its just that I don’t want to make her feel weird by me insisting on paying if it’s not a date…this is so confusing.:afr

·
Registered
527 Posts
By some weirdness girl agreed to go see a movie with me (its going to be a epic fail but that's a different topic). We agreed go as friends there for its not a date I guess, so we both pay for our own tickets and food right? I don't mind paying its just that I don't want to make her feel weird by me insisting on paying if it's not a date…this is so confusing.:afr
If it's not a date, then you should split the cost of the tickets and food. To do otherwise may make her feel that you're trying to make it into a date, which may make her very uncomfortable.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
If it was me, and it wasn't supposed to be a date, a guy paying for me would seem kind of strange. Like he thinks it is a date when it's not.

Even if it was a date, I'd still feel weird having someone pay for me, but then, I think I'm just weird.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you should offer to pay for her but if she insists on paying herself, then let her. Socially anxious guys and they tend to shrink back from paying that that is a clear signal that you are just friends - ie there is absolutely no way you are interested in her and this could be your last outing. Offering to pay keeps it in the neutral territory and is a friendly gesture.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
I think you should offer to pay for her but if she insists on paying herself, then let her. Socially anxious guys and they tend to shrink back from paying that that is a clear signal that you are just friends - ie there is absolutely no way you are interested in her and this could be your last outing. Offering to pay keeps it in the neutral territory and is a friendly gesture.
well. they agreed already to go as "just friends".

i find it so odd how these incredibly minor practices are over analyzed to death on what could be their ultimate meaning. jesus why can't people be straight forward on these matters instead of putting so much weight into these basically meaningless and insignificant gestures. not to mean that they are not friendly and nice gestures and i do appreciate it when friends or anyone offers to pay, but using that as proof as to whether someone is interested romantically or not is a tad ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If it's not a date, then you can each pay for your own. It's as simple as that. :D You said you agreed to go as friends, so it should be as simple as that. Yet you still seem unsure as to whether or not it's a date which is what's complicating things for you. You're thinking it could be more than what you verbally agreed on?

On my first "date" with my boyfriend I think he paid for my pizza. But at the time we weren't together and neither of us considered that particular outing a date. Although in retrospect, it sort of was a date. :lol I understand how these things can be kind of unclear. Is it a date? Is it not a date? My boyfriend and I were just discussing last night whether or not that first "date" of ours was actually a date or not. :lol

Anyway, even if it were a date you wouldn't necessarily have to pay for her. It's perfectly okay to split the costs on a date, or if you're going out on a regular basis you could take turns with who pays.

Do whatever makes you both comfortable.

But if you're looking to follow appropriate etiquette rules, then according to Amy Dickinson, a popular advice columnist, the person who asked the other out should be the one who pays for the date.

Personally I don't follow other people's etiquette rules because they can get too complicated and ridiculous. My advice is to just do what feels right. Or ask her. "Hey I'd like to pay for your meal. Would that be alright with you?"

Have fun!

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
when i hang out with friends and they have money i don't offer to pay, but if they don't or i know they are low on cash i'll offer. they often do the same. the next time i see them the other person will pay for the other. or for example if i want to get a drink and they don't want to spend money i'll offer to buy them a drink and i won't expect them to pay me back. gender hasn't had much to do with it.

i do find it kind of odd when i'm with someone for the first time, i have a lot of cash out and they still insist on paying and practically won't let me, since it kind of goes beyond that friendly gesture thing. maybe thats just how they like to make first impressions with girls but eh, i'm quite capable of supporting myself and paying the whole $12. i guess i'm going against what i said in my previous post about overanalyzing it but it still feels a bit like they are trying to get their "foot in the door"

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
If it's not a date, then you can each pay for your own. It's as simple as that. :D You said you agreed to go as friends, so it should be as simple as that. Yet you still seem unsure as to whether or not it's a date which is what's complicating things for you. You're thinking it could be more than what you verbally agreed on?

On my first "date" with my boyfriend I think he paid for my pizza. But at the time we weren't together and neither of us considered that particular outing a date. Although in retrospect, it sort of was a date. :lol I understand how these things can be kind of unclear. Is it a date? Is it not a date? My boyfriend and I were just discussing last night whether or not that first "date" of ours was actually a date or not. :lol

Anyway, even if it were a date you wouldn't necessarily have to pay for her. It's perfectly okay to split the costs on a date, or if you're going out on a regular basis you could take turns with who pays.

Do whatever makes you both comfortable.

But if you're looking to follow appropriate etiquette rules, then according to Amy Dickinson, a popular advice columnist, the person who asked the other out should be the one who pays for the date.

Personally I don't follow other people's etiquette rules because they can get too complicated and ridiculous. My advice is to just do what feels right. Or ask her. "Hey I'd like to pay for your meal. Would that be alright with you?"

Have fun!
You put that perfectly.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Yeah you should pay separately. There have been times when I've just paid a friend's way on something just to be nice and they didn't seem to mind, just said thanks, but...generally speaking friends pay for themselves.

With dates though, I think whoever does the asking is the person who should pay unless something else has been discussed. If I asked someone on a date I'd expect to pay.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
The one that asks the other one out pays. That one should also have the activities planned. Dinner, movie, etc.
If dating on a regular basis then take turns but don't get upset if you end up paying 2-3 times in a row. It's not about sharing expenses, but about sharing experiences.

In this case you say that you are going out as friends so gender and who pays shouldn't enter into it. It's not actually a date so you should each pick up your own expenses or split them. (1 pays for the movie and the other buys the snacks.)

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I always pay on a date. I feel weird if a girl pays for a date, I prefer them to cook for me :b

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Since you wrote that you don't mind paying, you could offer to pay this time, and then she can pay the next time.
Or you could split it, if she insists.
As for who pays on an actual date, I think whoever asked the other person out should. But again, if the other person insists on splitting, don't fight it. Just say "are you sure?". If he/she says yes, drop it.

·
Banned
227 Posts
At the very most, offer to buy the food, but don't pay for her ticket.

I wouldn't do this with my mates, but if i went out with a girl as friends, buying the food in one clean sweep is a responsible thing to do, and eliminates the awkwardness of ordering food seperately. This is my opinion anyway.

Goodluck man, wish i had your luck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts