Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to better myself financially so I can move out of the apartment I've been sharing with my once now ex bf.

At first I was really motivated but when I think about it more and more I feel really scared to live alone. Like coming home from work to just my cat( i love my cat but i crave human connections).

I have issues with being alone and rather stay in an emotionally abusive relationship than be alone. sad but true and am working on the esteem part.

Those who do live alone-how do you cope w/ feelings of isolation etc?? Advice? Input? thanks :)

·
SAS member
770 Posts
I just moved into a studio apartment. This is the first time in my life that I have lived alone. I joined a few meetup groups for SA in my area (have yet to attend any meetups, don't see anything scheduled for this weekend) and also am trying to chat up some new people online-which is new for me. Some moments are ok, others the isolation gets to me too-I usually will call one of my family members or leave the house and do chores then to distract myself.

·
madly in love
2,433 Posts
i just moved into my own apartment last month. i wanted to live alone. so far i love it. my cat is here with me so i do have some companionship.

i feel isolated whether or not i have roommates... and i really disliked my last roommates... so i figured id be isolated by myself :p

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hehe funny that you two are both 27 yr /females :D me tooo! sometimes I feel afraid for my personal safety(more like paranoid lol) I have a fear of home invasions/rapists. I'm hoping to get over these fears sooner rather than later. I can't let my fears dictate my life. Thanks for your input :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live alone right now in quite a big apartment because my girlfriend is traveling for a longer time. It is really hard, especially because we lived 1 1/2 years together without being longer apart. I dread every weekend and evenings alone. And all the appointments with friends did fall through, this weekend again... Yeah, what do i do about it? I think i am just not made to be alone. Inside anyhow i feel isolated most of the time. But if i got things on my mind, music... I feel connected. And yeah, maybe there are places in public you like? I love our central library. Its quite there, everybody just cares about his/her book, and i don't feel alone, and i can be productive.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've lived in my house for almost five years now, and for most of that time I've rented out one of the bedrooms. I tend to get kind of sick of my roommates after a while and think back to the brief periods when I lived alone. I was scared at first but after a while it was quite liberating.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't feel comfortable living completely alone, especially when I don't have any friends to talk to during the day. I lived with my ex-bf briefly, but he was hardly there so it felt like I was pretty much living completely alone most of the time.

I would be fine living with my cats or one day a dog or 2 though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
no you should move out, its not worth living like that.... i know this sounds crazy but go and buy a small handgun, just carry it for a few months while you adjust...or don't move to a bad area..lol. actually the best solution might be renting a private room in a roommate situation, but that has its own dangers...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live alone, but I've never been afraid - just bored silly! Sometimes I wish there was just somebody else around the place, even if we weren't doing anything together. I'd settle for somebody in the next room watching TV. I think it would be easier if I had friends I was going out with on a regular basis.

I cope by:
Turning on the radio. Internet radio is great, there's always some station somewhere that suits your mood. I even listen to french and spanish language stations a lot. I've recorded a few favorite programs in Audacity so I can play stuff I really like when it's not on the schedule.

Talking to family and long-distance friends by Facebook. I've looked up and friended a couple of people I'd lost touch with. It actually helps me feel more connected when I know what they're up to and can comment on their plans and activities.

Getting out of the house. The bookstore here is a good place to hang out if you just want to be around people, since there's always plenty of people in the reading chairs. Man, there are some weird discussions going on in that place! Going out to eat is another good way to be around people. Even grabbing a Coke in the local fast food place can help.

Staying busy. When I'm at home, I'm studying, working on home maintenance, making my rounds of the places I frequent on the Internet, etc.

Don't let fear of being alone keep you in an emotionally abusive relationship. It's time to move on, and it will help you find a better place for yourself in more ways than one.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no you should move out, its not worth living like that.... i know this sounds crazy but go and buy a small handgun, just carry it for a few months while you adjust...or don't move to a bad area..lol. actually the best solution might be renting a private room in a roommate situation, but that has its own dangers...
lol @ the handgun comment-I can't do guns maybe a crossbow though :) and i'll have to live in a not so good area because I make poverty wages:|

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live alone, but I've never been afraid - just bored silly! Sometimes I wish there was just somebody else around the place, even if we weren't doing anything together. I'd settle for somebody in the next room watching TV. I think it would be easier if I had friends I was going out with on a regular basis.

I cope by:
Turning on the radio. Internet radio is great, there's always some station somewhere that suits your mood. I even listen to french and spanish language stations a lot. I've recorded a few favorite programs in Audacity so I can play stuff I really like when it's not on the schedule.

Talking to family and long-distance friends by Facebook. I've looked up and friended a couple of people I'd lost touch with. It actually helps me feel more connected when I know what they're up to and can comment on their plans and activities.

Getting out of the house. The bookstore here is a good place to hang out if you just want to be around people, since there's always plenty of people in the reading chairs. Man, there are some weird discussions going on in that place! Going out to eat is another good way to be around people. Even grabbing a Coke in the local fast food place can help.

Staying busy. When I'm at home, I'm studying, working on home maintenance, making my rounds of the places I frequent on the Internet, etc.

Don't let fear of being alone keep you in an emotionally abusive relationship. It's time to move on, and it will help you find a better place for yourself in more ways than one.
thanks I'll keep those suggestions in mind :) and I'm still working on the self esteem thing too thnks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts