Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Did Smith have a right to be depressed?

• No. He should have risen above his circumstances.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't believe in depression. Depression is an excuse for whimps.

• I'm not dominated by my circumstances.

• You simply have to think positive and then it'll all be good.

• He had every right to be depressed.

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • I'd not have been depressed in his situation. He had a pretty decent life.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I'd rather be him than be me.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I can imagine far worse things than living alone in a world of zombies.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • He should have done CBT, this would have turned him into a happy fellow again.

• I don't know.

Votes: 2 4.9%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this movie there is this scene where Will Smith is bathing his dog and he's happy and then at the alarm sound of his clock he's being reminded of how terrible everything is and he's totally depressed again.
My question now is: Does Smith have a reason to be depressed in this movie?
Were the circumstances bad enough to justify being depressed?
What would a counselor have told him?
Did all he need to do is do some CBT or whatever fancy method there is and then he could have found a way to be happy and content again in his situation?

This is what it actually boils down to. Can a person always find a way to not be depressed? What difference does it make if there is a virus which killed the entire population and you're alone or wether you're facing a sickness or any other problem which basically makes you feel like you're totally alone and everyone around you is living in a different world?
You can be surrounded by people all day and still be totally alone.
I don't think there is a huge difference between a virus killing almost all people and someone being sick and having no hope or someone having no hope for any other reason. Hopelessness is hopelessness. It doesn't really make a huge difference to the hopeless person itself wether she is the only one being hopeless or if everyone else on the planet is hopeless, too. It would probably be even easier to deal with it if everyone else was hopeless, too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes he had a very good reason to be depressed in the movie. It's totally justified, but it doesn't mean that he can't derive meaning from his situation and rise above it. If you want to look at it from a pragmatic point of view, his depression, though totally valid, was not going to help him in his situation to feel better. I think if I was in a last man on earth type of situation, I would be depressed for a while but I would get over it and think about what I could do now that no one is around.

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
He lost his wife and kid. Who cares about everyone else dying? That's reason enough to be depressed right there. The end of the world, isolation, and bloodthirsty monsters are just depression toppings after that.

674 Posts
I must agree with the above commenters. He lost the people who meant the most to him in his life, and the entire world as he knew it vanished in a short period of time. Not only that but he himself and his dog could be killed at any minute. That doesn't mean he shouldn't try to tune all of that out so that he can do the best he can to survive. But I wouldn't expect most people to be able to do that.

Obviously a counsellor couldn't help them. Anybody who could have counselled him was dead. That's reason enough to be depressed in itself. xD

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
He should be depressed that it was a bad plot in that movie. It would have been a lot better if it was like The Quiet Earth where he had to search for anyone that might still be alive. As an actor it is a much more challenging role if you play a character like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

Not about some make believe night zombies.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
He occasionally found a few precious moments where he could lose himself in some simple pleasures - a momentary oasis in the desert. I don't think that says anything about whether or not he was depressed. Watching the world turn into Hell would depress anyone.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
If Will Smith isn't playing the Fresh Prince, he is a terrible actor.:puke

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
People have a right to feel whatever they want, but yeah I think that would be a pretty depressing situation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think I clicked the wrong thing.. ah well, yeah he had every right to be down - He lost his family, dog, and was all alone in a world full of zombies.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Bad and cliched ending aside he had every right to be depressed. Counselling or meds wouldn't have helped as it wasn't a clinical depression but a more natural depression that would come from being utterly alone and losing everything you held dear.

The loneliness seemed to be what got to him the most, hence the talking to mannequins.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is exactly my point.

If there are situations where you simply cannot not be depressed then what is the point of going to a psychologist who acts like you can always find a way to not be depressed and gives ridiculous advice which do not touch on the real reasons for being depressed at all? For example if someone has a demented person in his family and needs to take care of her and see her going down the hill and this is totally depressing him and he then goes to a psychologist and he tells him stupid stuff like find a hobby or go swimming or try to be thankful for the good things then this is not going to help such a person at all.
This really angers me. This is so arrogant and unrealistic to talk down to someone who's wading through crap and then tell him that if he only changed his perspective he could still be happy. I really don't know if it was a good idea for me to try to seek help. At first I was hopeful but now I am becoming more and more upset at how ridiculous this stuff is.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
Who is going to give him CBT, his dog?

Any psychologist who tells you that you can always find a way to not be depressed is a moron. In really bad circumstances the best you can do is make it more bearable.

·
Registered
612 Posts

If there are situations where you simply cannot not be depressed then what is the point of going to a psychologist who acts like you can always find a way to not be depressed and gives ridiculous advice which do not touch on the real reasons for being depressed at all? For example if someone has a demented person in his family and needs to take care of her and see her going down the hill and this is totally depressing him and he then goes to a psychologist and he tells him stupid stuff like find a hobby or go swimming or try to be thankful for the good things then this is not going to help such a person at all.
This really angers me. This is so arrogant and unrealistic to talk down to someone who's wading through crap and then tell him that if he only changed his perspective he could still be happy. I really don't know if it was a good idea for me to try to seek help. At first I was hopeful but now I am becoming more and more upset at how ridiculous this stuff is.
A good psychologist can help you deal with it and manage it better, even if they can't solve your problems. And unless you actually are Will Smith in I Am Legend and stuck in the Zombie Apocalypse, your bad circumstances will eventually pass.

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
On top of losing everything he held dear to him, he was also searching for a cure. With countless failures I'm sure he was doubting himself and losing hope that a cure would ever be found. I'm not sure of the timeframe between the evacuation attempt and when the story was taking place to know how long he had been failing. Based on the growth of plantlife in the city it had been quite a few years.

·
Registered
800 Posts

Well, welcome to the club then! Personally I've found psychs to be utterly useless and full of bs cliches and solutions. The overwhelming majority are condescending and superior, when quite frankly they have no reason to be. I'm thinking they're mostly only in it for the money and their go to move is pill chucking.

They're not all bad though, some are actually in it to help and although I've never met a useful psych myself, I've heard of a couple from 2 members here that gave great advice and support.

So good psychs do exist, just a shame they're so hard to find.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think if you're lucky and find a good psych then the reason why he is good is not because he was a good student or because he knows all theories but most likely simply because he has empathy and maybe understands fears which most don't do.

I mean how does it help someone who is sick and depressed if he's asked wether he would feel better if he was dying? What kind of crap is this? Is this the great art of psychology? Then I say screw psychology. Then I rather talk to a pastor who most likely has more empathy than a know-it-all psychologist. It's least helpful when you get non-helpful advice and at the same time don't even feel like the other person has much compassion or belittles your situation and makes it look like it's no biggie.

@ luceo

This isn't true. There is no difference between living in a world full of zombies and living in a normal world with happy people all around you while you at the same time still have tons of serious problems. Where is the difference when there simply is no hope? Then it doesn't matter if the world goes on or wether it ends because your world is ending.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts