Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SA is a terrible thing but sometimes the burden can be lifted knowing there's that ONE person in your corner always.

For me, it's my mother. It's always been just her and I but she could be entering a relationship soon and I'm not taking it well. I want her to be happy of course, but I feel like I'll really be emotionally alone once she marries someone. I also have my grandmother and an aunt that I've always been close with but they live in another state.

What about you guys? Who is in your support system?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
My identical twin brother who also has bad SA like me.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
My parents are all I have physically/in person, but they aren't my support system, except in terms of allowing me to live with them. I can't talk to them about my anxiety or anything. I've never been close to anyone else in my family, not even my brother. And the only friend I ever had that I would call a "best friend" (who I could talk to about anything and totally be myself with) moved away when I was around twelve and lost all interest in me long ago.

So...that leaves my online friend. She's really the only support system I have. I'd like to think I have another online friend, but I haven't been in touch with him in ages and I'm not sure if he likes me anymore. I wouldn't blame him, I guess. :/

I regularly go ages without being in touch with my friend, but so far she's put up with that and seems to understand. I'm not sure how/why she does it. But I'm eternally grateful. I wish I could show it better, be a better friend myself. -_-

I've had so many bad experiences being let down that I even doubt her friendship a lot, and I wish I didn't. She deserves better for putting up with me. :sigh

·
Banned
126 Posts
My mother.

·
waiting to bloom
8,860 Posts
my sister. I wouldn't call her my support system, but she's the closest thing to a friend I have and she gets me the most.

·
giraffe
8,742 Posts
My bf, my mom and dad, my younger brother, then my friend.

·
Irreversibly Invisible
4,095 Posts
My younger siblings have always been there for me.

I want to say my parents, but they're very emotionally distant. I know they'll always provide for me if needed, but they don't give me any emotional support.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My brother. I feel comfortable talking to him because I know he ultimately doesn't care what I say, as he doesn't consider me a friend. He just acts amused or talks about his own interests. And occasionally we can talk about books or games. So it's cool. I'm glad I still have one person I can practise talking to.

·
Banned
3,670 Posts
Parents and younger brother.

·
Searching...
6,335 Posts
Not really close with anyone anymore, so obviously I suppose I'd have to consider my brother and then mother the closest. Yet I've stopped talking about my "feelings" with them quite a long time ago because I'd rather spare them the headache, they've got their own bundles of hurdles of stress and I'd prefer them to not be affected by negativity on my part if I can help it.

Ironically I'd say the people who know what I was thinking to a high extent the most would be complete strangers online stretched around this earth due to this site and this site alone. ;)

I'm not saying this to consider yourself privileged or anything, I'm just admitting my flaw of not being able to open up in real life still, because I personally view that as weakness, obviously in order to make friends in real life, some form of trust is essential, yet I do that in small doses. Like they'll have to prove they can keep a secret or two, genuinely show concern, provide touchy stories of their own, etc.

·
Realistic
657 Posts
Not close to anyone. I keep to myself a lot, but probably the closest people to me is my aunt and sister.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Closest person to me is my second old sister. I can tell her anything....sometimes but she gives me good advice unlike my parents or other sister and brother who just insult me and then it turns to an argument. So I'd rather not speak to them.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
42,513 Posts
I'm not sure. The only person I talk to about essentially everything is my closest friend. He lives really far away though and we now only communicate via text.

I have a good relationship with my brother, but he's not very empathetic.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I have to admit I'm envious of all of you who have a family member you can turn to. :( It must be wonderful to have a supportive relative.

·
Spirit of Vengeance
5,301 Posts
My older brother, my cousin, and my parents. I can talk to them about almost anything, but probably share the deepest stuff with my brother.

·
Big Nerd
1,131 Posts
My mother, she's the only one i can talk to and i tell her everything. She never judges me like my father and she's kind a compassionate and gives great advice.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts