Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering who here is currently receiving support or treatment for their social anxiety. I want to obtain a snapshot.

If you are, please elaborate.

If not, please elaborate.

I am currently receiving no support. My case is complicated by autism and I have exhausted all the therapeutic avenues.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
No. I don't want the kind of help they're offering. I like who I am. I just find it inconvenient. I think if I have to change myself to fit in with the world, there's something wrong with the world.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm trying to get NHS help for anxiety and depression but not just SA.
I am going to see a therapist in a week or so who might do hypnotherapy. There was a suggestion to go on CBT in October and to start computer CBT in a week or so where a nurse phones up weekly to check progress. I've had 2-3 workbooks to fill in and think I'm still being assessed really.

Is there a charity either autism or anxiety that offers therapy and support? http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pages/Supportorganisations.aspx I know there is anxiety UK which I was considering as worried about NHS.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've been taking meds for anxiety and depression for 8 yrs. I'm currently undergoing CBT for the third time.

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
I am currently seeing a therapist and a doctor for meds. (100mg Zoloft) I have been on many different meds over the past few years without much luck. But I never give up hope that someday I will improve!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Been on a multitude of medications and currently in detox, but I visit my psychologist every two weeks and my psychiatrist every three weeks regularly. I even visit my physician from time to time for blood/urine samples and such.

Through all that, for two years, my anxiety has only worsened and it's making me depressed that I keep regressing even with all this therapy going on.

Feels just like a downward spiral to me.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
Im seeing one psychiatrist and does psychoanalysis. Ive already tried cbt and medication for depression and anxiety but only the clonazepam seems to work for my panic attacks.

·
Banned
497 Posts
I was just wondering who here is currently receiving support or treatment for their social anxiety. I want to obtain a snapshot.

If you are, please elaborate.

If not, please elaborate.

I am currently receiving no support. However, my case is complicated by autism and there are no local services; I have exhausted all the therapeutic avenues.
no i just used cbt on myself and use thinkrghtnow and nlp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not receiving any help mainly because I'm not sure I should be. There are still days that I doubt I have SA but, since coming back here, I'm starting to think maybe I should get help. Its just hard because I don't think I know a single person in real life who believes in and/or knows about SA.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
yes i'm doing psychodynamic therapy (+ a bit of cbt) and group therapy once a week, i think they're helping. also on paxil 23mg, and slowly decreasing it. also i think talking with people individually on here is helpful.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm seeing a therapist who I see maybe once a month. My visits should increase when school starts though as summer is the easiest time of the year for me. I'm also thinking about starting medication but I'm still on the fence about that.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
No. I don't want the kind of help they're offering. I like who I am. I just find it inconvenient. I think if I have to change myself to fit in with the world, there's something wrong with the world.
Right On! It's not just an opinion, it's a fact.

I'm not getting any help for my SA. I only went to a therapist once and it was so uncomfortable because right before she started our session, she told me that she records all her therapy sessions for future references or inspiration to others. She also kept me in the waiting room for 45 minutes with a bunch of other people. She was super nice but now that I think back, she was the worst therapist ever especially for my first visit, she pretty much made it my last.

This probably doesn't inspire anyone to seek help, I'm sure all therapist aren't like this. I was only 15 at the time so what did I know. Anyways, I've been living with SA for so long now that I don't think therapy could ever really change me. It's not that I'm hopeless and of course I would like to change certain things about my life but I don't really wish to change who I am.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see the purpose of things like therapy as not to become someone else or fit in, but to learn new skills and receive advice to cope better in the way you choose. If pressure is put on someone to change themselves in a way they do not wish (which I have experienced), the therapy is inappropriate.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
I'm seeing a counselor and I'm actually going in tomorrow for the second and final step toward my official diagnosis.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm seeing a therapist. I finally went to a docter for meds. I will be up to 40mg of paxil in about a month. I also just started going to group therapy, tonight will be my second session. Lately I feel like I've had it so I've been pushing myself (getting help with meds and group therapy.)

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
i'm currently listening to Dr. Thomas A. Richards - Overcoming Social Anxiety audio sessions (per someone mentioning it here). first step, he says, is to master "slow talk" which i'm in the process of conquering. the future looks good and promising. not on any medication though i'll hold on that unless i feel like i really, really need some. by the end of these 20 sessions or so i hope i end up to be like tony montana, not really, but i do hope i can beat this debilitating disorder.

·
Banned
583 Posts
I just finished a twelve week CBT program, so I'm not receiving help any longer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been going to a counsellor for a couple of years now. I've not really made much progress but its definetly helped me a bit. I feel like i can trust him.

But i'm going to college soon and he said he'd have to finish up and pass me on to the college counsellor as the counselling they offer is only really meant for teens attending school.

I regret not making more of an effort to make social contact, i feel like if i'd tried just a small bit harder things could have been very different. Like sometimes i remember my classmates in my last year of school (which was last year) and think that maybe they all wanted me to come out of my shell. Sometimes they even saw tiny glimpses of my personality but i never took that extra step. The thing that stopped me was the thought that i never really talked before so why start now?

My counsellor never diagnosed me with SA but he did mentioned it a bit. I'm not even 100% if i have it or i've just gotten used to being the way i am :|

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm getting help in another city because locally the right resources I knew I needed weren't available, but I'm sure I'm lucky to have insurance that helps with it a bit and unfortunately had to take some money out of the 401k account to pay for the lodging and all but it's worth it.

I know there are online programs but I don't know how good they are - I signed up for that Lucinda Basset site and I thought it was crap, but I'm sure it helps some people.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts