Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone plan to be happy despite SA? or currently happy?
I only deal with people because I have to. When my kids are grown and we are retired, I will be quite happy to move to a small town in some reclusive spot (we have already picked it out :boogie) and only deal with who i WANT to deal with.
Has anyone else kind of stopped caring what strangers think, or do you go through spurts where you don't care? I guess it is this most recent semester of school that brought me to the conclusion that i don't give a f*k what people who don't mean anything to me think (at least for the moment) maybe i am just doing ok now, and will be doing worse later. who knows.
but i am kind of ok with my life right now. i am ok with not having friends and a social life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For the most part, I'm fairly content. I don't know if I'd go as far as saying I'm happy, but I'm not really all that depressed either. At this moment, however, I am going through a rough spot due to a specific situation. But on the whole, over the past few years, I've been pretty okay. Sure I'd like to have friends and an active dating life or committed relationship, but I haven't been quite as depressed as I once was at the thought of not having those things. Still, I think about them often and hope to have them one day.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm very, very happy because of my fiance and my life. The only thing messing with that and holding me back is my SA (and a couple of other things) so as soon as I get rid, and I will, everything will be fine.

·
Vann of the Dawn
81 Posts
I'm fairly happy. I just know I miss out and have missed out on a lot of things I could have had because of SA. I'm determined to not let it decide how I'm going to live my life for me anymore. I have spurts when I'm happy and other spurts where I get really down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the most part, I'm fairly content. I don't know if I'd go as far as saying I'm happy, but I'm not really all that depressed either. At this moment, however, I am going through a rough spot due to a specific situation. But on the whole, over the past few years, I've been pretty okay. Sure I'd like to have friends and an active dating life or committed relationship, but I haven't been quite as depressed as I once was at the thought of not having those things. Still, I think about them often and hope to have them one day.
I think can relate to being stuck in rough spot about my life in general. More specially I just hate it when people literally stand in front of my room and just spew their irritating remarks, sometimes it feels like I'll never get a break.

I'm on an off about if I care what people think, but they still can make me feel crappy rather I want to deal with them or not. But I'm getting a lot more creative in making a safety area and a little more assertive in flipping that approval switch off. Right now the tables are steadily turning, the sooner I get over people the better.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I find happiness in my life and I am happy with those in my life but if I am not comfortable with being an SA sufferer and wish I had the social network that others have.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I'm usually not very happy, but I find things to be happy about and I'm happy while I'm doing it, thinking about it, or talking about it. Then, it's back to the usual unhappiness.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I am happy at this moment. I can't predict the next half hour lol

·
Banned
728 Posts
I'm surprised and encouraged at seeing the number of people who consider themselves happy.

I think personally I'll get there once I manage to relieve or control my physical anxiety symptoms in anxious situations and most importantly when I will have a soul mate.

Being single for my 25 years of existence kind of kills any reason for me to feel happy.

I shall get there in time, hopefully...or I'll be doomed for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm pretty happy. I've always had SA so I don't know who I'd be or how I'd be without it -- I assume life would be better, but maybe not. In any event, I have lots to be grateful for, and I think my happiness is based more on whether I choose to look at the positive or the negative on any given day. Most everyone has some kind of load they carry so I don't think I'm exceptional in that sense -- SA just happens to be mine.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I'm surprised and encouraged at seeing the number of people who consider themselves happy.

I think personally I'll get there once I manage to relieve or control my physical anxiety symptoms in anxious situations and most importantly when I will have a soul mate.

Being single for my 25 years of existence kind of kills any reason for me to feel happy.

I shall get there in time, hopefully...or I'll be doomed for the rest of my life.
Happiness is a state of mind. No thing or person can make you happen. Happiness comes from within. You choose to be happy. Sure life could be better with a soulmate but nobody can make you happy. It comes from within you. :D

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I'm often happy, sometimes sad. APD makes me lonely sometimes, but I try to live in the moment. Today I was happy because it was sunny and I saw moorhens. I like moorhens :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm not happy, but at least I I'm not getting shot at, cancer ridden or starving; or all three in a third world country.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I am never going to be truly happy with SA. That is why I want change more than anything. I have had my share of happy moments, but I'm defenitely not happy with the way things are right now.

·
LookingForMyLife
598 Posts
Sometimes I am happy, like around my nephews and niece. I really am to the point where I am trying not to care what others think. I do want to be happy someday! I also kind of have that screw em type attitude, where if they dont like me than the heck with it. By the way, I would watch cussing, I got an infraction for something that I had no idea would matter, I have read the guidelines and it seems as long as we dont cuss in a way to defame anyone than it is cool, but I am not sure, I am going to ask mm.

·
A cracked polystyrene man
191 Posts
I don't believe you can ever be truly happy with SA. The 'happy' moments are too few and far between and usually followed by the more 'down' periods. This week I'm at breaking point for a number of reasons.

The last time I was truly happy was the period between 92-93. These days I am ALWAYS on edge when I'm out of my house, regardless of who I'm with or where I am.

When I'm home I'm relaxed, but never happy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts