Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finds it almost easy to have a very good conversation with someone when the subject is something you LOVE, are passionate about or are very interested in? I've noticed this several times in my life. If it's something I really love to talk about, I'm in control of the course and the people around me have the definite signs of interest in my passion as well as hoping to learn something. Its taught me a few lessons. For one, I've got to TRY to gain a deeper interest in other peoples topics of conversation-just to be fair anyway! I'm not a fan of small talk so much though so I usually have to plow through that first.
(small talk takes on a different vibe with people you are closer with)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it can be awkward. It's kind of like you're waiting to OPEN UP in the event something good comes up ;) That's why I mentioned I really need to focus on other peoples points and interests and kind of try to reflect some sort of enthusiasm- hopefully! I'm looking at it as a balance I guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah in fact i cant concentrate on what people are saying unless it interests me....so naturally i get quite psyched when the conversation swings back onto a subject i can join in on....

·
Registered
314 Posts
This totally applies to me, too. If I'm interested in the subject, it can overshadow the anxiety. It's frustrating having to take interest in other peoples' conversations - which are basically about topics that I just don't care about. Sadly, I don't come across many people who enjoy talking about history or philosophy, lol.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It happens. I just don't LOVE that many things, unfortunately.

Think about this: people talk first of all because they feel something is worth saying.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Yes, this is what happens to me too. I can talk about certain subjects, especially at school. I like talking abotu school, it's my "safe subject" It's all I've known. If it comes to something about me, I get very nervous because I think I'm a boring person.

·
Freedom is lurking
809 Posts
I agree. When it's something I'm enthusiastic and know about, there's no shutting me up. But I have to feel the people I'm talking to are genuinely interested, otherwise I hold back.

·
Among the ashes
1,464 Posts
Yes, I really do speak up when the conversation hits a topic I have great interest in. Things like music/design/art or even a really strange topic people may have a strong opinion about from time to time if I feel like taking a risk. Doesn't happen often & if it does I've usually just gone away too soon to involve myself.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
The issue, at least in my case, is that an opportunity like this doesn't come too often if at all. It's not like I'm going to be trying to bring up my unique and ever-so-gallantly shifting interests to any co-workers or anything.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This has got to be a common thing with many of us (even non-SA people). I know when I'm talking about something I really like, I don't care who's listening. Sometimes I can tell they really don't care about the topic, but I just have to get it out there since the thoughts may have been bouncing around inside me for a while.

·
serious
340 Posts
I do the opposite and down play it, because I'm very aware that when people love something and start talking about it they lose all perspective of what is interesting and what is boring as crap.
To avoid being a bore, I just dissemble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts