Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have started doing this again recently. Till a couple of years back I used to keep an online journal, but now I've taken to actually writing everything down, instead of doing it online. I find it better to write things down, though I hope nobody gets his or her hand on it. :/

·
Clever Status Title
1,049 Posts
Tried it, it was really boring to do, won't read over it, nor do I want people knowing my thoughts because my style is patented.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So Im thinking about taking up journaling. Is there anyone here who keeps one? And has it helped in your recovery at all?
What a coincidence, I just started mine again today (key word: again). This is the fourth time I've tried this and the other three times I ended up deciding I wasn't getting anywhere with it and tore out the pages. It felt like I was writing "for an audience" so I wasn't writing how I really felt but instead what I would want other people to read if for some insane reason I happened to offer my journal for reading to the general public.

In my opinion, it doesn't work and is kind of waste because in the end your only going to write the same things you think about in your head on a daily basis, only you'll spend more time doing it.

On the other hand, maybe you'll discover something about yourself?

Best of luck.

·
Comfortably Numb
464 Posts
Yeah. I started it when I was 7, just recording thoughts, but when I was 12 I wrote in it seriously for the first time. Then again when I was 13, and now I write in it every few weeks, or months, depends. Lately I've been writing a lot. I suppose that's a good sign, because most of it is how my social life is improving, slowly.

So I guess it helps. When I look back in the pages, I see how much I've improved.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've realised that it doesn't change anything in particular, but does help me feel better, even if only temporarily.
I don't really like to talk about my problems to anyone so perhaps that is the reason why I've found it useful.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Used to, but kept on going back to it and realized how much I sucked back then and then get down about it.

·
We Found Love
4,685 Posts
I do it, but it doesn't really help me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've kept a daily journal for about six years and I find it very cathartic. I can also go back and look at old journals and track my anxiety and depression trends.

Keeping a long term journal has taught me that although I always think of myself as being happier in the past, I never really have been. That in itself is depressing, but the positive is that it helps me to live more in the present and not worry so much about, "Is this as good as it gets?"

·
Registered
185 Posts
I started journaling back in September. I originally started thinking it would help keep my mind quiet when I went to sleep. It usually does. I don't know what it makes me feel any better though. I mean I guess I feel a little better just getting it out, but puttin it on paper doesn't change anything. I've gone back and read over it a couple times, and it's just kind of interesting to see what I was thinking on any given day. And I think as time goes by, it'll show the progress I've *hopefully* made with my SA.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I do when I need to, like if there's something on my mind or a situation crops up that I"m not sure how to deal with. It's just not my thing to write something down every day though.

·
No flex zone
2,333 Posts
I have a diary. I don't write it in everyday but when something special happens that I want to get a better hold of I find that it helps to write it down in there.
...I just hope no one other than me will ever ever read it. :no

559 Posts
I've always wanted to be in to journaling, but could never commit. I tried recently (within) the last year to get back into it again at someone's suggestion, only to find I lost interest again, or would forget to do it. I think I'll try to take up with it again though. It can feel therapeutic just letting go of my insecurities and worries, or even the few joys in life I have on paper so I can revisit them at a later time and examine what frame of mind I was in previously, and if or how I've changed.

My way of expressing myself through a medium is always been through writing creatively...like songwriting, or playwriting/screenwriting, but usually the former. I also love just making beats to express the mood I am in if I don't feel like putting it into words.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts