Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m an attractive guy and I have had many girls show interest in me throughout my life. I got out of college a few years ago. But I have never dated before. Whenever a girl shows interest in me, I never show any interest back because I’m afraid of dating so I don’t want to lead the girl on. The thing is, though, I want to date and I enjoy the idea of dating. I want to be with a girl. I think maybe the reason why I’m afraid of dating is because I have no idea what to do and I’m afraid that I won’t be good at it. I’m also worried about stuff like what if the girl shows up late, what if she texts on her phone instead of talking to me on the date etc. The uncertainty definitely causes me anxiety. But I guess it’s also because I’ve just never done it before.

For everyone here who has never dated, who here has the desire to date but is afraid to date? Why? Have you ever turned people down because of your fear of dating?

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
*MM raises hand*

This will change for me in 2013. It is about time - I have waited for YEARS!

Yes - I never felt good enough or feared rejection for my awkwardness.

I have a good job, a car, a HOUSE, and yet this. :roll
I am more Millennium Man than many women can handle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Me!

I really want to date and I do pursue girls once in a while, but as soon as they show interest I get scared and shamefully hide. I feel pathetic for running from something I want so bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You never know until you try! Part of my fear is the rejection I have experienced in the past. But, better to have experienced it and learn about what you don't want then never at all. And you sound fabulous so go get em ;)

·
Mega awesome
5,080 Posts
Dating can suck. It sometimes feels like a job interview. The last "date" I was on it was nothing special...ugh. I don't think I have that much experience. Every time I've met people I wouldn't consider it a date..it's just hanging out. Honestly what is a date? Dinner and movie? I dunno. For me I just hate telling my story over and over again but that is life and that is how you meet people. It just all get tiring after awhile. Cause nothing ever sticks...but you gotta keep trying.

·
SAS Member
4,385 Posts
Me. And like you, I have attracted many guys my way. But, it never goes further than than that. I need to get myself right though (somewhat) before I just throw myself out there...which I hate to say but it is the truth.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't have any dating experience, but I consider that a good thing. I like to think that I don't have as many hangups as people who do have experience.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
I was actually going to ask somebody out (hopefully) but then I read your reply and realized that I won't have a chance since I don't have any of those. :no
It depends on your place in life.

I am 37 1/2 years old and worked pretty darn hard to get what I got. By now, I have shown initiative to be on my own.

THINGS do not define the man, though - it is INTEGRITY, PERSONALITY, and SELF-RESPECT.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Me! I'm the same as you, where people have expressed interest in me but I shy away from it because I get nervous about my lack of experience and not knowing how to act lol. I also get nervous letting people know I am interested as well, sometimes I think I'm expressing that I like them but because I'm so shy, it doesn't seem as obvious lol.

And well, I guess I'm nervous about dating because throughout jr. high I never got into dating. Everyone else I knew had boyfriends or girlfriends, and it's not that I didn't like anyone, I just never had the courage to ask anyone out LOL (except one guy, but he ended up turning me down) so everyone I liked afterwards, I'd kind of just admire them from afar or remain friends with them. Same thing goes for high school, though I didn't like that many people at that point (everyone from jr. high pretty much went to the same high school). I was pretty content being single, it was easier to focus on studies and develop a strong work ethic and study habits.

As for people expressing interest in me, yes I've turned them down... but not because I was anxious... I just didn't like them LOL, well most of them. There were a few cute guys but I just got nervous because they'd be extroverted, wanted to party a lot and go out all the time. That just wasn't me, and being in those situations would probably make my anxiety go up more than I'd want it to. I guess I'd also worry about being too boring, too nerdy, too much of this or that... I was just pretty self conscious and I'd wonder, "Why would people want to date me?"

·
Chat Destroyer
1,884 Posts
Dating can suck. It sometimes feels like a job interview. The last "date" I was on it was nothing special...ugh. I don't think I have that much experience. Every time I've met people I wouldn't consider it a date..it's just hanging out. Honestly what is a date? Dinner and movie? I dunno. For me I just hate telling my story over and over again but that is life and that is how you meet people. It just all get tiring after awhile. Cause nothing ever sticks...but you gotta keep trying.
You are the most cynical person I've seen on this site lol.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would like to date someone but I am to scared to talk to women. I don't have any dating experience either. A couple of years ago when I went to a community college and a woman in my math class did tell me she liked me and asked if I was interested in dating her. I did like her but I was afraid she was just trying to hurt me and that if I said anything she would laugh at me. Instead I just sat there and said nothing and she got mad at me and left.

·
Banned
10,815 Posts
Dating isn't dinner and a movie. It's when two people spend time alone together talking and getting to know each other.

I just wonder what you call it when you're already in a relationship and go out to eat together or something versus actually getting to know someone new via a series of dates. I've only done the first one. :stu

·
Banned
10,815 Posts
*MM raises hand*

This will change for me in 2013. It is about time - I have waited for YEARS!

Yes - I never felt good enough or feared rejection for my awkwardness.

I have a good job, a car, a HOUSE, and yet this. :roll
I am more Millennium Man than many women can handle.
Go for it bro.

Any SAS girls in Ohio? :D

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Yeah, to be honest it fills me with dread, I've had good chances with women I've been attracted to, but I ruined it. I acted a complete fagpuss, they wanted to meet for a date and I wussed out. It's more a worry too, as I get older and have no experience in intimacy or a long-term relationship.

I just joined a dating site yesterday and already have 3 messages, from 30s single mothers. They think I will be sorted in life at this age, not living at home with bleak prospects, but I shall lie and try and get the sex - that is all women are useful for, sex and for company and cooking dinner after all.

Women can ALL take a short walk off a long plank as far as I'm concerned now!:mum

1,495 Posts
I just joined a dating site yesterday and already have 3 messages, from 30s single mothers. They think I will be sorted in life at this age, not living at home with bleak prospects, but I shall lie and try and get the sex - that is all women are useful for, sex and for company and cooking dinner after all.

Women can ALL take a short walk off a long plank as far as I'm concerned now!:mum
Doesn't get more sad than that :-/

1 - 20 of 65 Posts