Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going to this site where people write fanfiction and the fanfiction on that site is better than the actual show. The writing there is absolutely brilliant. It seems like the people who make the best videos on youtube are the best fanfiction writers as well. I envy them so much!

I decided since I'm not the best writer that maybe this would be good practice for me.

When people are good writers does it usually take them time and practice or do most good writers use free writing. Just post what they write down without making any changes? I know that I have to put effort into this. Coming up with ideas and storylines is difficult and having it to all intertwine is going to be tough, but I guess able to be done with effort.

I was just curious.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Like with anything practice, practice, practice. I don't claim to be a writer but I always got A's in high school and college whenever anything involved writing. To a small degree you do need some built in talent but you need to learn the bones first, especially before you can deconstruct them.

Look at your work with a real objective and critical eye, read it aloud if you must. Learn how to self edit, the biggest failure people have when they write is that they don't pay attention and repeate themselves.

As for story and characters just work with the ideas you have because a lot of it comes from the navel; imagination plays a big part in this which is why I suck at stories.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,066 Posts
I usually just write with the stream of consciousness approach when it comes to poetry, then rewrite it again later with some edits. My editing isn't really drastic though, I simply utilize things like thesauruses to spice up my wording mostly. This approach of get the idea down then refine it may be something for you to try.

I think story writing can be a big creative outlet for little thoughts that you have but have never thought to bring to fruition. One way to approach it could be to storyboard an idea before actually writing it out, kind of like viewing a photo then writing a description of it. Some creative minds may work better with visual to word approach rather vice versa though it may make for an extra step in updating the storyboard later. Character analysis is another thing to keep an eye on for story intersection. For example 2 characters who get on each others nerves yet whose individual actions require them to meet repeatedly. The opposites conflict, attract, then combust(in the order of your choice).

I've not watched anything fan fiction but the idea of is sound liberating in terms of writing because general audience expectations would be reduced to some degree.

Practice & a keen editing eye are your way to progressing in writing. I hope my ramblings help in one way or another.

Good Luck!

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I like to write, but I'm a bit lacking in the skill area. It sucks, because I have so many story ideas. I would really like to improve my grammar, but I'm having a lot of difficulty. I should have paid better attention in grade school.

Most good writers also do a great amount of reading.
Very true. You need to learn what good writing is, if you want to write well yourself.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Heh, it's kind of weird how in school I always enjoyed writing but reading not nearly as much. Can anyone relate? Oh well, I guess no writing career for me ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I write, mainly poetry - free verse, and creative non-fiction. I have a book planned, but I don't know how far that'll get.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well...I guess I can say I dabble. I tend to focus more on fiction and short stories. I can't really say that I tend to plan everything out beforehand and have some sort of ideal structure when I approach writing. It's more like, I become inspired by something and the ideas just tend to flow. I don't like to force myself into writing because I know that whatever comes out will not be good at all. However, it's a tad hard to say if I'm actually good at it mostly because I'm not exactly the most open person when it comes to sharing my work. However, I do know that I love to edit. It's just this weird thing that I enjoy doing. I used to edit my friend's papers all the time and one time, a friend actually managed to get an A! I was fairly surprised but happy for her. Haha. Now I'm just rambling...whoops.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In another life, I used to write a lot of anime fanfiction. Was quite good actually, but over time, I "grew" out of it. I've tried to get back into it a couple of times, but I just feel I can't put my thoughts into words as well as I used to. :|

·
Bomb Diggity
104 Posts
Well it's definitely true that if you read a lot you tend to learn more about the structure of writing stories. It took me a few years of writing before I felt confident enough to post it online. So it does take practice but never give up on it if it's something you truely enjoy!:boogie

I love to write but I wish my grammar and the flow of my story was better but I've read a lot about how really successful writers learned just by writing down other people's stories and soon enough got the flow of it!

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Heh, it's kind of weird how in school I always enjoyed writing but reading not nearly as much. Can anyone relate? Oh well, I guess no writing career for me ;)
Veron, you should keep at it :) That was just our opinions. I love to read and my writing is not that great.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
I have a lot of stories in my head that I would love to write down, but I never finish anything.
I always loved to write. When I was very very young I wrote this huge monster fantasy thing but I never showed it to anyone.
I still write, but it's not that much fun anymore, not like when I was a child. I can't look at my writing objectively anymore. No matter what it is I wrote, it always feels wrong to me.

To answer your question, I do write fanfics. I'm pretty embarassed of them ^-^

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Veron, you should keep at it :) That was just our opinions. I love to read and my writing is not that great.
Hehe, I haven't written anything since my high school days (unless cover letters count?). I kind of lost interest, I think.

By the way your grammar seems just fine; do you have some of your stories online perhaps?

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Thanks :), but I still need work in some areas. I haven't posted anything online. I have a few short story rough drafts and I'm working on a novel. The novel is not going that well :( I need to dedicate more time to it and rework some areas.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've always been bad at creative writing, imo, though my teachers have always been obsessed with my stuff even when I think I'm turning in a complete failure. What I'm good at is writing essays on literary analysis. :) I love it, though it takes a lot of effort, because I work very messily, just randomly writing stuff everywhere and in the end it somehow comes together as a nearly perfectly polished work. Though it's been over 2 years since I've done anything of the sort, and I'm totally losing it... hardly even have a vocab anymore. When I'm reading a novel, I just sit there wondering how the author even thought of what they wrote. I guess I'm just not a writer, but I wish I was. I need to start reading again.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Did you get good grades when you wrote? I've heard of certain writers who began to write before they got interested in other books and supposedly this lets them be "pure" because they don't have anyone elses writing style or influence cluttering in their head (only one I can think of off the top of my head is shel silverstein)

I suppose it's possible but you at least have to read your own work and enjoy it (like bukowski) I remember overhearing some classmates of mine saying this but I found it pretty incredulous. Where would you ever find the motivation to write anything?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I write Harry Potter fanfiction - a lot of it.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Did you get good grades when you wrote? I've heard of certain writers who began to write before they got interested in other books and supposedly this lets them be "pure" because they don't have anyone elses writing style or influence cluttering in their head (only one I can think of off the top of my head is shel silverstein)

I suppose it's possible but you at least have to read your own work and enjoy it (like bukowski) I remember overhearing some classmates of mine saying this but I found it pretty incredulous. Where would you ever find the motivation to write anything?
I think I did ok in school. I used to be a spelling/grammar nazi ;), always proofreading everything. Vocab could be a problem though. I did go to the library and read books back then, but I didn't read a lot. I was a slow reader and I admired the kids who read one book in a week.

As for the motivation, lol, I guess I just used my own imagination. Or I'd experience something and want to write about it. I guess it's the storytelling aspect I like most about writing.

·
Banned
160 Posts
When people are good writers does it usually take them time and practice or do most good writers use free writing. Just post what they write down without making any changes? I know that I have to put effort into this. Coming up with ideas and storylines is difficult and having it to all intertwine is going to be tough, but I guess able to be done with effort.

I was just curious.
My motto is work smarter, not harder. Build on this inspiration by watching more episodes of the TV shows you're interested in. See what works, what doesn't (what do you look for? PM me if you want to get an idea). Read episode reviews. Writers ask themselves what they are hoping to accomplish and why another story is important on the character or characters? What do fans want to see as much as I do? What is likely to happen in the series? Look at your own life and the lives that have inspired you, do you see an idea there worth taking and making into something extraordinary? I think getting better at writing is all about growth, too. You are always in for changes when you write, but if you envision, research and plan your idea out well, you shouldn't have to make many.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts