Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Can You Overcome SA?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot of threads, and it appears to me a lot of people on here have very little hope in recovering from SA. I'm not going to sit here and say everyone here is "curable" or can overcome this. I know better, but i will say more people than not can recover that don't think they can.(if that makes sense) It saddens me, because I'm well on my way to recovery. And I've been to the point where I was in danger of panic attacks that result in fainting just a few yrs ago. And I gotta tell you it feels really good have come so far. My definition of recovery is a lot like the definition when talkin about drugs and alcohol recovery. A person who recovers from an addiction may be clean but they aren't the same as someone who never had the problem in the first place, it is in many way always with them. But at the same time clean is clean, and being social, or comfortable in social situations is just that, very very few of us will become social butterflies, but it is very possible for a lot of us to become comfortable in social situations.
Again I understand and respect someone that says they can't recover or don't believe that a "recovery" is possible.

I guess my question is who here has hope that they can recover?
and who doesn't?
and why?

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
I voted for the first option. I think it's possible since my SA isn't that severe in the first place. But it will take a long time and I'm willing to wait.

·
Rolling In the Hay
34 Posts
I'm optimistic that in the future the affects SA has on me will be minimal, and won't contaminate the experiences I want to enjoy or prevent me from accomplishing my goals. I don't believe I'll ever live without it, and I don't think I'd want to either. I like who I am, but I fear that person would have to die in order for me to rid myself of SA and become a sociable extrovert. So yes I have hope, but it's for what I see as the realistic hope of learning to live happily with SA, rather than without it entirely.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
This poll is flawed. The final option states "It's impossible for anyone to overcome SA" when it should be "It's not possible for me to overcome SA". Since the question is whether or not I think I can overcome it, I think that option doesn't belong.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This poll is flawed. The final option states "It's impossible for anyone to overcome SA" when it should be "It's not possible for me to overcome SA". Since the question is whether or not I think I can overcome it, I think that option doesn't belong.
Na, I did that intentionally, because some here have no belief in that someone can truly over come SA. So, I chose to represent that perspective.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think we can all overcome it if we put forth the effort. Its a slow process but there is no way im gonna be house bound when im 74.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Na, I did that intentionally, because some here have no belief in that someone can truly over come SA. So, I chose to represent that perspective.
The problem is that it's not possible for me to say that nobody can ever overcome SA. And just because some people can doesn't mean that everyone can. It's entirely possible that you and I could both try exactly the same methods and one of us would overcome it and the other never would. The poll asks if I think I can overcome it. I have no idea if you or anyone else can.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is that it's not possible for me to say that nobody can ever overcome SA. And just because some people can doesn't mean that everyone can. It's entirely possible that you and I could both try exactly the same methods and one of us would overcome it and the other never would. The poll asks if I think I can overcome it. I have no idea if you or anyone else can.
The poll answers cover the entire perspective spectrum, from absolution, to so much doubt that it can't be possible.
right but some do feel that way.
(edit)
also i was thinking answers don't always answer the question directly.
example
Imagine a poll with the question
Q: Does twilight suck?
A possible answer could be
A: Who gives a **** about Twilight!
but that doesn't answer the question but it (could) represent someones perspective or what someone would like to say.
I'll make a deal, I'll eat my shoe, if no one votes that option.
I LOVE PICKLES.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My first memories included anxiety, so no - I don't believe SA will ever EVER be out of my life. However, everybody who has sat down and really had a talk with me has told me I am incredibly strong (emotionally, I'm assuming).
I grow from every experience. Sometimes I don't grow in the "right" ways, but everything is a learning experience.

However, I am finally taking care of myself after a lifetime of attempting to ignore the problems and grow in other ways. I'm hoping by this time next year I'll be prepping for a semester at a local college that I intend to finish. I know my majors and my minors. I know my intended career will have a guaranteed spot for me so long as I continue to better my own self and my talents.

There is no cure for us. We are not in the wrong - we are just different. Unfortunately, the way society is set up is what makes us disabled. THEY make us disabled. Find your inner strength and overcome their frugality.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I saw the question my immediate answer was no, but I am trying to keep myself positive. This is very difficult to do because I have truly tried to overcome this. I really feel like no I will NEVER overcome this, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
It may be possible to overcome SA (as in beat it outright) if you've got a mild case, but for the more severe cases, I don't think overcoming it is a realistic goal.

I do believe you can learn to COPE with it regardless of its severity.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
"I want to but I don't think it'll happen for me"

I don't think my SA is too bad, but if there's one lesson I've learned over and over again, it's that SOMEthing will come up whenever I try to settle down and be normal and build a social network.

Always.

(Of course, the fact that I ran out of meds might also have bearing on why I feel this way.)

·
Banned
497 Posts
i have high hopes.

i know how to transform SA

i beleieve i can do it

ive seen it done

theres absolutely to reason why i should not be optimistic. if i do the right things and take the right actions then its in my control wether im a social phobic or the opposite

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I still have much hope. I can do it, and I will.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've tried, several times, to overcome my demons.

Each time, my SA just worsened in the end. Now I'm battling a deep depression on top of my anxiety. I chose the 3rd option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will get over it. I have had a severe case for a few years now but I am doing so much better now. I wrote about it in another thread. I still can't talk on the phone to people, I still don't want to venture out alone, and I can't initiate conversations with a person.

But when I am with my husband (he is a sort of "safe zone" for me) I can hold conversations with people, joke with people as long as they initiate the conversation. I went to a poker party with him not to long ago and actually had a lot of fun and met some cool people. If he were to leave the room I would clam up and start to get anxious.

I want to be able to do all this on my own... I do have hope because I am now in the mindset of not wanting to spend my 20's alone and depressed. Life is way to short and I want to have fun. So as long as I focus on this goal I think I can beat it. I am going to try without medication for now. I want that to be a last resort because I don't want to rely on medication to make me happy and to make friends. I want to do it on my own.
My advice is just throw yourself into situations whats the worst that can happen, I don't think someone will stab you or shoot you if you say something wrong.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts