Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate it. The most useless comment every and everyone at work says it.

I'm "fine" is what I usually say. But, seriously...they don't care how I am anymore than I care how they are. Plus, you don't want to hear how I really am!

I get asked this 78956567 times a day by coworkers. pet peeve!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeah, this used to bug me too.

I'm sure you've heard this explained a zillion times, but it really is just people trying to be nice to you. It's an easy way to strike up a conversation, or offer to let someone strike up a conversation with you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yeah the guy who posted before me is right, i too hate it. But it can be a way to talk to others, to build a repor with people. who knows you can develop friendships with these people. answer truthfully but of course dont tell them all of how miserable you may be. Talk about something nurtal, like you can't wait for the weekend or you've got a headache something like that, and just banter man.

·
Banned
768 Posts
I think its funny how a lot of people don't even expect an answer when they ask that question. I've had a lot of cashier's ask me that. I usually say "Fine, how are you?", and its amazing how many say NOTHING in return to my question. LOL

Crazy world we live in....

·
Registered
604 Posts
haha I hate the morning routine where everyone has to say that to everybody they see. They are like programmed robots. It gets to the point where it starts to sound fake or sarcastic. I think "how's it going" bothers me more. But really I think people are trying to be nice.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
It's funny-I once had a boss who refused to let any of the employees say -"have a nice weekend". He would get really angry because he thought it was so meaningless.- Even though people tend to be insincere when they ask - at least it's one of the few ever dwindling little niceties still hanging around. It seems like there's less and less all the time!

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
some people just have that automatically in their greeting. from what i observe some don't even respond to the 'how are you' or the person saying it don't respond to what they said. (but those situations i observe are when they are just passing by)

i say it back if someone says it to me and they are near. i say it first if i'm actually having a conversation with someone and i want to know how they are doing.

hah, my brother works at the same place as i do for the summer. today when i walked in the building he was using a ladder to reach a light and i said "hey" and he said "hi heather whats up?" and i think i just kept walking. i didn't feel like stopping to talk, and i'm sure he didn't care.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hate, hate, HATE it. I often wish I were a cat or some other non-human animal just so I wouldn't have to deal with this miserable crap - I'm willing to settle for a lifespan that's only a fraction of my current one and having to hunt/forage for sustenance.

·
Banned
768 Posts
hate, hate, hate it. I often wish i were a cat or some other non-human animal just so i wouldn't have to deal with this miserable crap - i'm willing to settle for a lifespan that's only a fraction of my current one and having to hunt/forage for sustenance.
lolol

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
the only reason i hate people asking "how are you" is that my answer comes out weird. one time it may come out loud another it may come out like a girls voice. so i usually just smile and nod my head like and idiot.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Hate, hate, HATE it. I often wish I were a cat or some other non-human animal just so I wouldn't have to deal with this miserable crap - I'm willing to settle for a lifespan that's only a fraction of my current one and having to hunt/forage for sustenance.
if you were a cat you would have to meow for your territory and to get cat booty.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think the problem is you can't really say I feel really crap as they're looking for a superficial answer and it takes lots of energy to try and come up with light breezy answers and pretend that actually you are OK when you're not.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I hate it. The most useless comment every and everyone at work says it.

I'm "fine" is what I usually say. But, seriously...they don't care how I am anymore than I care how they are. Plus, you don't want to hear how I really am!

I get asked this 78956567 times a day by coworkers. pet peeve!
This irks my nerves as well. Especially when they walk away while they are asking you or passing you in the hallway and asking while they are walking. That does not even leave any opportunity to say more than " I'm fine" Sometimes I say something off the wall just to confuse them. I say I am " discombobulated" or I am " Bamboozic" or " astonished" or " questionable" or " whimskill" Most of those words dont even exist so it confuses them! LOL

·
Registered
492 Posts
This irks my nerves as well. Especially when they walk away while they are asking you or passing you in the hallway and asking while they are walking. That does not even leave any opportunity to say more than " I'm fine" Sometimes I say something off the wall just to confuse them. I say I am " discombobulated" or I am " Bamboozic" or " astonished" or " questionable" or " whimskill" Most of those words dont even exist so it confuses them! LOL
your funny!:clap
I think I'm going to steal that. "Bamboozic!"

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I have a pink gorilla that sits on my desk at work. He has a small yellow sticky note that says " Hi! My name is Bamboozie!" So that is how I came up with bamboozic.

Another good one is anamisticly restricted.

If they ask me what I am doing I tell them I am compartmentalizing

·
sad panda
675 Posts
I think that would be nice! The last real job I had (that wasn't for my parents) The people there were so stuck up they just ignored me. A simple "How are you" would have been welcome. Of course, they might have thought I was stuck up for being so quiet too, I guess :p

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I hate it, too. It feels fake, so I rarely ask anyone this question. But small talk is the glue of relationships.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I think the problem is you can't really say I feel really crap as they're looking for a superficial answer and it takes lots of energy to try and come up with light breezy answers and pretend that actually you are OK when you're not.
Yea, it's weird because people don't really want to know how you are. When I was 16 and working at Burger King this cute co-worker used to ask me every morning "how are you". I smiled a little and said "good." I had a little crush on him, cause he seemed nice and didn't ignore me. But this kind of question used to bother me because I'd over analyze it. One day I decided to say " I hate it when people ask me that. Why do people ask it? I mean, they don't really want to know how you are. If that were the case, I'd come up with a longer and more honest answer." Needless to say, he got offended and never asked the question again, and I was left once again to be ignored.

Now I'm more socially typical and answer with "fine, thanks, and how are you?" Funny, most people don't answer back. At least I've learned that people use this greeting to be socially acceptable and not necessarily to have an honest conversation.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
When people ask me how I'm doing, I always reply back with something random and unexpected. Actually I've noticed that after awhile people just stop asking. One thing I hate though is when people don't say anything to me at all. No Hello, No Goodmorning, they just walk past me. I always walk away thinking "I bet I'm invisable and don't even know it, I do have super powers". I know, I'm a dork.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts