Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Car C

Votes: 5 16.1%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a 4 way intersection with no lights, 4 stop signs. Car A is coming from the east going across to the west. Car B comes from the north and stops waiting for car A to pass. Car B is headed south east, making a left turn. Car C comes from the south, headed north and stops at the stop sign after car B. Once car A has crossed fully, who has the right of way, Car B or car C?

edit: whoops car A wasnt supposed to be an option on the poll

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Whoever is the confused, pushy, restless, hurried, or idiiot-on-the-cell-phone-person that is still moving and going to do what they want always goes first so I can avoid an accident with them.

There should be signs that say "right car goes first" or something like that but often there isn't. There is one like that down the street from me at a 4 way but I forget what it says exactly but there is another one that has no signs and people do what they want to do.

If no signs, then its the person who has been waiting the longest goes first. If there are cars at the other 3 intersections I wait til all the restless people go first that were there first. Every person has a different judging system when there are no signs or even if there are signs so I wait to see all the people clear away who feel they should go by some divine right that none of the rest of us know about or are actually there first. There often is no pattern of cars clearing based on who actually got there first, nor a circular clearing pattern happening.

You can contact authorities to have signs posted about encouraging a circular clearing.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
In Australia, car c would have right of way because he is going straight through the intersection...but as we drive on the left hand side car b wouldn't interfere with car c anyway if car b was turning left. But, say, if we made car b turn right from the left hand lane, then car c would have right of way :yes

....or whoever has the biggest car.

Most likely though, there would just be mass confusion and they'd all just crash in the middle cos they were too busy drawing diagrams working out who should go first.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It depends on what country your in. lol. :b

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
The way I was taught in driver's ed: when you approach a four way stop without traffic lights, whoever stops first has the right of way....so in this case it would be car B.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Car B.

But I don't think I've ever been stopped at a four-way stop where people have actually gotten it right. It's best to use caution and if Car C looks like it's going to keep going, then just let the idiot keep going.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I'm guessing that Car A was the first to get to the intersection. Car B should go next, especially if Car C saw that Car B stopped before he did.

This should all be pretty clear to all the drivers, because 4-way stops are pretty quick. You're not really standing there at the intersection for more than one second unless someone is crossing the street.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Car B.

But I don't think I've ever been stopped at a four-way stop where people have actually gotten it right. It's best to use caution and if Car C looks like it's going to keep going, then just let the idiot keep going.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)
My thoughts exactly!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think it would be more interesting if you had 4 cars stop simultaneously at each stop sign, strictly going by law it would be deadlock and everyone would be stuck there forever, lol

·
gone
5,224 Posts
This is why I don't drive.
At least you admit it. A lot of people don't know any rules of the road, and yet still drive.

A lot of my driving pet peeves concern four way stops. I especially hate it when people just sit there and refuse to go even when it's their turn. It's like these idiots are waiting for a light to change.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Yeah, I don't like people who just sit there either. If that happens I'll either give them a headlight flash or a wave to go, or I'll just go myself.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
Truck D will get the right of way, yes she will

·
gone
5,224 Posts
Yeah, I don't like people who just sit there either. If that happens I'll either give them a headlight flash or a wave to go, or I'll just go myself.
Yeah, but it's often happened that I'm behind them. So I can't go till they go, yet they refuse to go if there are cars at any of the other stops, even if it's their turn. I end up having to use my horn or slowly bump them from behind till they get the hint.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts